RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/613020-i-need-big-help-choosing-highest-clearance-axles-without-going-portals.html)

Tim3 11-07-2019 12:13 PM

I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

I don't have a lot of experience yet with all the crawlers. I need the latest info on witch straight axles gives the highest clearances under the punkin. :oops:

CODYBOY 11-07-2019 06:05 PM

Re: I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

I think the ascender has some of the best clearance on the scale market. Having said that it doesn't mean it is the best performer. "thumbsup"
Ernie

nedmo 11-07-2019 06:23 PM

Re: I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

SDD Diamond Pro would be pretty close to highest clearance I think. It would deffinately be the smoothest design with least catch points.

donny8594 11-07-2019 06:29 PM

If your not going portals it's just a few mm difference between all made. Get a strong set and let em drag.

HumboldtEF 11-07-2019 06:32 PM

I agree, just let it drag.

RC4WD make these raised pumpkin axles, I dont know if I'd go as far as to recommend getting them as they aren't know for their durability, aren't cheap I've also never seen them out in the wild. https://store.rc4wd.com/Leverage-Hig...10_p_5321.html

A bit more info on the Ascender axle, its the smallest pumpkin out there but the gearing inside produces the most torque twist out of all of the crawler axles.

You could gain extra clearance at the pumpkin by simply running taller tires.

We know you're after the most clearance but beyond that what are you building? Knowing that would help us to guide you better.

Panther6834 11-07-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5975806)

RC4WD make these raised pumpkin axles, I dont know if I'd go as far as to recommend getting them as they aren't know for their durability, aren't cheap I've also never seen them out in the wild. https://store.rc4wd.com/Leverage-Hig...10_p_5321.html

I considered those for a few minutes...probably a few more than I should have. After reading several reviews, I knew to avoid them.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

mv1985 11-07-2019 06:47 PM

I agree with CODYBOY, the Ascender has good clearance at the pumpkin for a straight axle. I added Duratrax 1.9 Deep Woods tires for extra clearance and use it at the local comps. It performs quite well head to head with the more expensive rigs. I also agree with the others, let it drag!"thumbsup"

durok 11-07-2019 08:17 PM

The other way to get more effective diff housing clearance is run narrower axles or wheels with more offset...

There are some wheels out there that can be run reversed, with their hubs flipped.

Some of the SSD steelies, Boom Racing steelies, and GearHead RC wheels.

Voodoobrew 11-07-2019 11:10 PM

You can get bigger tires like the hyraxes to raise the pumpkins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Panther6834 11-08-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5975852)
You can get bigger tires like the hyraxes to raise the pumpkins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But remember, larger diameter means more, thus more weight, thus more rotational mass. That's why, in building up my second Capra, I'm going with SSD wheels, instead of Vanquish wheels (which I installed on the first Capra)...plus I'm sticking with portals.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

mewalsh100 11-08-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv1985 (Post 5975812)
I agree with CODYBOY, the Ascender has good clearance at the pumpkin for a straight axle. I added Duratrax 1.9 Deep Woods tires for extra clearance and use it at the local comps. It performs quite well head to head with the more expensive rigs. I also agree with the others, let it drag!"thumbsup"

I just spooned some 1.9 Deep Woods on to the refresh/rebuild of my Barrage/Axial hybrid build. I was also looking for a bit of additional clearance and the taller aspect of the Deep Woods caught my eye. Looks like I gained about 3.5mm of clearance.

Anyway, how do they do in the comps?

gottorque 11-08-2019 07:59 AM

10.2 axles in plastic, pick the best lines you can and let the diff drag. It wont hurt ya.

HumboldtEF 11-08-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 5975877)
Not sure why no one has mentioned them, but the Axial AR44 has hypoid gearing specifically there to lessen the pumpkin.

AR44's do have the nice feature of the high pinion axle, the ring gear is still in the same place so the pumpkin is actually no higher, only the pinion sits higher.

Natedog 11-08-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim3 (Post 5975720)
I don't have a lot of experience yet with all the crawlers. I need the latest info on witch straight axles gives the highest clearances under the punkin. :oops:

Vaterra Ascender.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5975798)
I think the ascender has some of the best clearance on the scale market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5975806)

A bit more info on the Ascender axle, its the smallest pumpkin out there but the gearing inside produces the most torque twist out of all of the crawler axles.

You could gain extra clearance at the pumpkin by simply running taller tires.

Yep, sometimes they're just going to drag. Pass on the RC4WD axles due to lower quality metal, parts availability and price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv1985 (Post 5975812)

Agreed, just remember smaller tires generally sidehill better. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5975835)
The other way to get more effective diff housing clearance is run narrower axles or wheels with more offset...

There are some wheels out there that can be run reversed, with their hubs flipped.

Yes, narrow track is great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 5975877)
Not sure why no one has mentioned them, but the Axial AR44 has hypoid gearing specifically there to lessen the pumpkin.

"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottorque (Post 5975902)
10.2 axles in plastic, pick the best lines you can and let the diff drag. It wont hurt ya.

"thumbsup"

Tim3 11-08-2019 10:15 AM

WOW...! I am really grateful for all of the responses from you ALL !
You guys rock !!!!! "thumbsup"

This is what I needed to help me make the decision where to go in my happy buying cart... lol :mrgreen:

Its going to be 1.9 rig build. LET IT DRAG THEN !

Now who makes a solid Axial AR44 in aluminum ?

Panther6834 11-08-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim3 (Post 5975934)
Now who makes a solid Axial AR44 in aluminum ?

Only one (of quality...no cheap Asian imports) I'm aware of is Vanquish.

mv1985 11-08-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5975871)
I just spooned some 1.9 Deep Woods on to the refresh/rebuild of my Barrage/Axial hybrid build. I was also looking for a bit of additional clearance and the taller aspect of the Deep Woods caught my eye. Looks like I gained about 3.5mm of clearance.

Anyway, how do they do in the comps?

Tires really stick to the rocks, usually finish in the top 5 Class 2. Clearance at the pumpkin with the Deep Woods is 44.45mm. Considering the price, the Ascender and the tires are a good deal, IMO.

Panther6834 11-08-2019 02:17 PM

I'm curious about how the new JConcepts Landmines will compare against the Deep Woods & Hyrax. For those interested (since the info doesn't seem to be published anywhere, including on JConcepts' own website), the Landmines diameter is 4.74" (I called them, and someone actually measured them for me).

MaX-D 11-08-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5975979)
I'm curious about how the new JConcepts Landmines will compare against the Deep Woods & Hyrax. For those interested (since the info doesn't seem to be published anywhere, including on JConcepts' own website), the Landmines diameter is 4.74" (I called them, and someone actually measured them for me).

Yeah, they're a good Bunch over there at jconcepts. Very friendly, and very helpful people that work there. I have nothing but good things to say about jconcepts.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

dirtman71 11-09-2019 10:40 PM

Can’t say much for other axles but I like the ar44. The pumpkin is much smaller than original scx10 axle. If you get the version that has universals the steering is fantastic. Numerous options for overdrive gears. Not a big fan of metal housings. Great for weight but they don’t slide over rocks like plastic