Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: best intro crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Default best intro crawler

want your alls opinion on whats a good truck to start with,, got out of the rc thing several years ago but wanting to get a crawler and start back,, any info would be greatly appreciated.
robbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: best intro crawler

What kind of crawler are you looking for? Scale truck, more competition oriented, Buggy style?

RTR? or Kit?

Personally, if you're looking for something on the scale side, I think the Element Enduro Sendero is a good place to start. It can do a lot right out of the box and it's pretty easy and smooth to drive. Just gotta chuck the stock bumpers.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

The Element Enduro Sendero is cool, my mate has one, I have the edge on him with my TRX-4 Sport Kit build but it has a lot of weight down low and up towards the front so I think that helps. Also think the tyres may help as well. Either is a great starting point on the scale side.
CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'd start with a Hobby Plus CR-24 for mostly indoor crawling or maybe a Cr-18 that's a little bigger just to see if you like crawlers. Pretty durable loads of fun setting up obstacles around the house and parts are cheap. Otherwise for 1/10 i'd probably go TRX-4 sport or Enduro but with the upgraded stiffer plastics.

1/12- MST CFX or CMX are highly underrated or for just a trail truck with some good 80's nostalgia you can try the HG-P407. A lot of charm for under $200

If I had to pick one off-road machine that can do a lot of things well i'd go with Axial Bomber or HPI Crawler King. HPI F-150 or Bronco Crawler King is a ton of fun. http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/120099

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 11-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc View Post
want your alls opinion on whats a good truck to start with,, got out of the rc thing several years ago but wanting to get a crawler and start back,, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Like you, I left RC cars many (many, many) years ago. Had a couple helicopters about 10 years ago, but sold them 5-6 years ago. Been back into RC cars/trucks (mostly off-road racing, plus a few bashers) for a lil while now, but just recently decided to get into crawling. After debating what I wanted to get into first, followed by a reasonable amount of research, I decided on a rock buggy.

Next, I started narrowing down choices (not to mention picking a kit, or "settling" for an RTR)...until I heard about a soon-to-be-released kit from Axial:
the Capra.

There wasn't much info to go on at that point...some basic "press release" type info, and a relatively short video on YouTube from Horizon Hobby (Axial's parent company)...but, needless to say, I was captivated. By the end of that day, I had pre-ordered one...and I couldn't be happier. While I'm already prepping to branch out into other crawlers, in regards to my first, I know I made the right decision.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 or 4. Axial, element, Traxxas , or even redcat. They are all very good out of the box and are all very reliable if you don’t “try” to break them. They all can be modified to crawl better. They all have aftermarket parts. I don’t know anybody that runs a “stock” rig.

You just need to pick what you like. Do you like the cage type open wheel rig or are you a scale guy.
All my rigs are axial and they are all good. Never had any issues. Just got a scx10.2 a while back. And it crawls great. If I had to do it again I would get an element enduro. It is very capable out of the box. Great shocks. Overdrive gears. Quality links and drivetrain

Don’t go cheap to start. I did with an Everest 10. That thing sucked. Bad tires bad electronics. Bad setup. It turned me off to crawling. But I didn’t give up. I had 30+ years of rc crap in the garage and I got that that thing to crawl pretty good. But at a cost. It ended up turning into an scx10. Would have cost me 1/2 as much to get the scx10 in the first place

So if you are considering crawling....you will like it. Trust me. Lol
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to RCC!
Vaterra Ascender is great quality crawler!
https://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/...A%22Vaterra%22

Axial SCX10
Axial UMG10
Axial Capra
SCX24 (1/24 scale)
Axial Racing - vehicles

Where do you intend to run the truck, what size, style do you like? This makes a difference in what would be good for you.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

The TRX-4 of your choice. You won’t find a tougher truck and there are as many upgrades as you could ever want. Don’t bother looking elsewhere unless it doesn’t fit into your budget.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The TRX-4 of your choice. You won’t find a tougher truck and there are as many upgrades as you could ever want. Don’t bother looking elsewhere unless it doesn’t fit into your budget.
TRX4 Sport. Hands down the toughest for the money and many will tell you the most capable out of the box regardless of price point.
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
What kind of crawler are you looking for? Scale truck, more competition oriented, Buggy style?

RTR? or Kit?

Personally, if you're looking for something on the scale side, I think the Element Enduro Sendero is a good place to start. It can do a lot right out of the box and it's pretty easy and smooth to drive. Just gotta chuck the stock bumpers.
These questions from Soze are are super relevant and as well the folks’ advice here above... I’d only add this, “If you got bit by the RC vampire at any point in your life up to this point, it’s almost certain that you’re gonna want to build one ‘next’, lol”. My friend got the super-awesome TRX Sport and while we were driving together last week for the first time since our SCT experience, I asked him how he felt about it. I’ll put my next paycheck, or maybe one in February on him saying the same thing as you after you pull the trigger on any of the almost equally awesome RTRs. He was driving my trucks because demo and checking out your bro’s gear is always awesome and/ his servo died day three or something. Shit just happens no matter how perfect our choosing/plans/designs, right? The same rules apply here.

He says, “I love it. Totally. The only thing is I still kinda want/wish I’d build/built one.” I’ll put all my April paychecks on every one of us responding here and above that if you do indeed get bit a second time, you’ll be all-in on building our/your “next” project. I told him then, “Then let’s build some Capras!” You can get more tiny trucks. We did! And that’ll be as fun as the edgy fun you’ve got going on now that you’re looking at these dope little machines. And so maybe build your next one, or this first one if you think that turns you more. I got here, like you, in the renaissance/enlightenment of tiny trucks, bwaahaaahaaa. What a great time to show up, it would seem.

Also, I’m new and 3/4 of the people above have helped me figure out stuff along the way, usually as a lurker, but it’s a pretty dang accepting and authentically concerned group of like crazily well-informed blokes, and three ladies. If you have the time luxury of being able to read deep within the forums you’ll soon likely see the same, although I’m still not sure myself which three are the ladies. Cheers and happy hunting.

Last edited by LincolnofDeath; 11-27-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Because don’t write so good.
LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc View Post
TRK4 IMO is the best. Two speed transmission, locking diffs and they look great. Keep in mind the sport is a partial kit.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

best intro crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intro srivera00 Newbie General 3 12-26-2015 08:54 PM
My intro to G6! Tgreer Axial Wraith 22 02-02-2014 12:27 PM
An Intro omenwolf Newbie General 7 06-05-2010 09:16 AM
Intro... woodysfj40 Wisconsin 4 02-21-2009 02:13 PM
New E. X Factor Crawler Intro 4x4transam XTM Crawler 10 05-29-2005 06:40 PM