Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What do you want to see hit the market next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What do you want to see hit the market next?

I'm looking for a 88-98 (GMT400) GMC or Chevy pickup. Never get tired of seeing those on the road and classic truck design.

Also some type of pop tents like Ursa Minor makes. Think that would be a fun scale accessory.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What do you want to see hit the market next?

id take a 98 extended cab long box myself would match my 1.1
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #3

I want to see Proline step into modern times and put hard plastic grilles on their Lexan bodies.

Also a 1940's Willy's truck or car!

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'd love to see actual scale bodies. So what if it's not a 12.3 wb, let us actually build trucks, not buy them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwfly View Post
I'd love to see actual scale bodies. So what if it's not a 12.3 wb, let us actually build trucks, not buy them.
Who is not letting you "actually build trucks"?
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to see highly detailed aluminum/soft metal bodies. Even if they cost a little more, I would love to have one on my crawler, leaving dents and scratches when you hit a rock, just like a 1:1 vehicle.
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

An off-road Amphicar.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Who is not letting you "actually build trucks"?
If all the off the shelf bodies are the same size, it's not scale. Look at Proline's Gladiator.

Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I want to see Proline step into modern times and put hard plastic grilles on their Lexan bodies.
This. The TRX4 and Gen8 bodies are a significant step up from the RTR bodies of old. The aftermarket should be setting the pace, not trying to catch up.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I still think there is a place for lexan bodies, if proline would do bodies similar to how axial handles them, it would open the doors to some better bodies for sure.

Personally hate every proline body I've ever come across, stickers for lights and grills, no mirrors etc. Bleh

An unlicensed Metric body with overpriced aftermarket details is a horrible step in the wrong direction for them.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
I still think there is a place for lexan bodies, if proline would do bodies similar to how axial handles them, it would open the doors to some better bodies for sure.

Personally hate every proline body I've ever come across, stickers for lights and grills, no mirrors etc. Bleh

An unlicensed Metric body with overpriced aftermarket details is a horrible step in the wrong direction for them.
I think part of the problem is that the aftermarket bodies just don't sell in the quantities that the RTR bodies do, so making the plastic molds for the hard parts is cost prohibitive. The Metric body & Knight Customs approach was probably the only way that Proline could attempt to compete with the RTR bodies that use hard parts.

The overall setup costs for lexan bodies is very low. Make a buck in the shape you want, then pull heated lexan sheets over it to form the body. That's about it. For plastic parts, you need to create the injection mold, which can be very expensive, and then you need to have an injection molding machine, which is also very expensive. You've got to pound out a LOT of parts to recoup your startup costs, and I'm willing to bet that Proline just doesn't sell enough of any particular body to get that back.

How many of any particular 12.3" wheelbase body do you think Proline actually sells? 5k? Maybe 10k if it's really popular?

A typical smaller injection molding machine can cost $200k or more. Let's say that since this machine could be used for other production also, $100k of it would fall into this task. A new mold might be $50k, although by the time you do all the CAD development work, you might be closer to $75k. Let's round down to $50k to make the math easier. $150k in initial setup costs for the hard parts associated with this body.

If they plan to sell 10k bodies, that's going to add $15 to the cost of each body. That added cost is going to immediately mean that less people will buy it, because it's more expensive. So now you've got to add $20 or $25 to the body to break even. So now you're looking at a $70 lexan body from Proline, and they don't end up making any more profit than if they just keep stamping out $45 bodies.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Carisma Brat and MST JP1 and upcoming J45C bodies are among the new breed of desirable RTR bodies, as well.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
For plastic parts, you need to create the injection mold, which can be very expensive, and then you need to have an injection molding machine, which is also very expensive. You've got to pound out a LOT of parts to recoup your startup costs, and I'm willing to bet that Proline just doesn't sell enough of any particular body to get that back.
Proline already makes a ton of molded plastic stuff, they either have a relationship with a factory to make molded parts or the capability to make the parts in house.

I do think it would have to be something super popular for the extra cost to make sense which means another Jeep body then people would just complain more.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'm sure Axial profits off selling those rtr bodies as a stand alone item, they wouldn't do it otherwise.

Those bodies would be unavailable or higher priced, anything else would just be bad business.

Safe to assume that Axial, like Proline, is in the business of making money, not providing us products at reduced costs out of the kindness of their hearts.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-c...i31337/p510537

https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...520-00/p897449

Compare those two products and you'll easily see which is the better value.

Why does the Metric cost $15 more for an unlicensed body with zero scale details added if the issue is cost of injection molding.

Should it not be cheaper then Axials offering or at the very least the same price?

Same price would be generous for separately molded box and opening hood, as stated, lexan molds are cheap.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwfly View Post
If all the off the shelf bodies are the same size, it's not scale. Look at Proline's Gladiator.

Right. A Gladiator wheelbase is like 137” in real life. A JKU is 116”. The bodies cant both be scale if they both have a 313mm WB.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The Carisma Brat and MST JP1 and upcoming J45C bodies are among the new breed of desirable RTR bodies, as well.
Absolutely
Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
+1 - am very disappointed with the moulded grill on my K10 Proline body.......
CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Proline already makes a ton of molded plastic stuff, they either have a relationship with a factory to make molded parts or the capability to make the parts in house.

I do think it would have to be something super popular for the extra cost to make sense which means another Jeep body then people would just complain more.
I believe that most if not all of Proline's molded parts are made overseas. Most of their parts are also of the high-volume variety, like Slash body posts & the like. I suppose they could get their body hard parts made overseas too, but I still think they'll sell a lot less Wrangler bodies with hard grills than Slash body mounts.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
I'm sure Axial profits off selling those rtr bodies as a stand alone item, they wouldn't do it otherwise.

Those bodies would be unavailable or higher priced, anything else would just be bad business.

Safe to assume that Axial, like Proline, is in the business of making money, not providing us products at reduced costs out of the kindness of their hearts.
The pricing is made up in the making of the RTR vehicle, the aftermarket sales of the RTR body design are not nearly as high.

It will be much harder to add those costs to just an option part body.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1985 View Post
I'd like to see highly detailed aluminum/soft metal bodies. Even if they cost a little more, I would love to have one on my crawler, leaving dents and scratches when you hit a rock, just like a 1:1 vehicle.
That would be a great option to have.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote

What do you want to see hit the market next? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hit swanny Newbie General 8 01-30-2008 04:26 PM
I'd Hit I..... RANOVRU Chit Chat 12 06-20-2006 12:52 AM
Would you hit it? JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 34 01-26-2006 01:01 PM