Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shock lengths for a custom build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock lengths for a custom build?

General questions here. How do you determine shock lengths for a custom build? Is it all about ride height? It seems to me that you'd want long shocks ran droop to get the most shock travel both ways (up and down). Am I missing something here? I asked about budget shocks in another thread and decided on some Desert Lizards. I was looking to get some around 100mm because that's about what I'm running on a couple other MOAs but after thinking about it some, it seems to me, longer would be better. Since it's a custom build and I'm more concerned with performance than looks, wouldn't I want more throw on my shocks?
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shock lengths for a custom build?

Really depends on the rigs purpose, to much travel can turn into an unstable wet noodle.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree with Losungen.....

Articulation is not always the end all answer to performance. I have found over a few different builds that much more than 4" is not necessary for good rough terrain handling, and is often a hindrance. A wheel falls into a hole and wedges... Or you articulate and flop over... Side hilling is a total flop literally.... tq twist is much more pernounced...and on and on.

My Bronco is running 100mm superlift "dampeners" up front, and 90mm in back. with a little tuning, eg spring rate changes it works pretty good. Not as good as it did with 90mm in front and 70 mm out back though. It looks impressive, but doesn't handle the real twisty stuff as well.

90mm/70mm....

100mm/90mm...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nice Bronco! Makes me want to bring my proline body back to life
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You have to have in mind how you want the rig to sit. Once you get the links and axles put on the frame, put the wheels and tires on, and have a close approximation of the body, put the chassis on a stand. Adjust the axles up and down until you get the ride height you are look for. Once you have it, measure the distance between the axle shock mounts and the chassis shock mounts and you have your shock height, just buy shocks to match.

I am currently neck deep in my Element C1 build (kit), have the chassis and axles all together, and the wheels I want mounted up. I have the hard body put together to the point where I can eyeball the rid height that I am after. The kit shocks are about 10mm longer than I want (25mm of total shock travel), so I am putting 10mm limiters into the shock body to get the ride height lower. 15mm of shock travel is just about perfect for what I am after.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock lengths for a custom build? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Shock Lengths to Maintain Stock Height Gagak Rimang RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 05-16-2017 06:25 PM
Shock Lengths for K44 Axles LSXGMC RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 02-08-2017 08:38 PM
LCC shock shaft lengths? zagscrawler Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 08-08-2010 08:22 AM
Shock lengths? lesannatrevor HPI Wheely King 0 07-15-2007 10:05 PM