RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Pros&Cons on running (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/614550-pros-cons-running.html)

Frank211 01-08-2020 12:57 AM

Pros&Cons on running

a slipper eliminator?

I purchased the incision slipper eliminator kit/part, what's the reason why i would run it?

Does it really affect the drive train(breaking stuff)?

Is it worth it?

Is it a simple swap over(installation)?

xjman 01-08-2020 02:25 AM

Re: Pros&Cons on running

Any time you get the wheels bound up like between rocks the slipper can slip. On a competition rig that issue is a no go. Without it the weak point of the drivetrain moves elsewhere for it to break in that spot. Personally, I don't use a slipper clutch.

Jim85IROC 01-08-2020 06:10 AM

I run a slipper on anything that comes with it. I don't comp, and since I need to use the hand of God 20 times per trip to fix my shitty driving anyway, I'd rather use it a couple more times to get me out of a jam that the slipper won't let me out of, than to use it to pick up a busted truck.

Greatscott 01-08-2020 06:43 AM

I never use slippers with any of my crawlers, just have never had the need. From time to time a part does break, but it is rare.

I do compete with my rigs, and I have seen a lot more drives hung up on an obstacle due to their slipper clutch not allowing power to go to the axles than I have seen drivers break parts on the course.

AnimalHippie 01-08-2020 06:55 AM

I have a slipper clutch in both of my rigs, but they are both pretty tight. I've never had mine slip ever. I run my rigs pretty hard. I like to push them to the limits. Haven't had any breakage (knock on wood) with that said I do pay close attention when they start to get bound up to keep from breaking stuff. I think if you pay attention to what you're doing. You shouldn't have any issues with the slipper eliminator installed. Good luck! :badger:

mewalsh100 01-08-2020 02:48 PM

I use slipper eliminators in all my rigs. The benefit is transmitting all the power to the ground. The detriment is that if you get in a bind and are ham fisted on the throttle, you can break things. I’ve never had that problem, but I’m not one to try and drive the rig out of a hard bind. Like anything, there are pros and cons.

OSRC 01-08-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5988903)
I purchased the incision slipper eliminator kit/part, what's the reason why i would run it?

That made me smile... :) Not trying to give you a hard time, but why would you purchase something that you're not sure what it does? Shouldn't you ask those questions first? :mrgreen:

Frank211 01-08-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5989078)
That made me smile... :) Not trying to give you a hard time, but why would you purchase something that you're not sure what it does? Shouldn't you ask those questions first? :mrgreen:

Oh, i know what it's used for!
An impulse purchase,there is a reason for it.

Cuz i heard about using slipper eliminator,some like it,some don't,i got one cuz my lousy slipper always slips,keeps me stuck in situations, so i ended up buying one.

fyrstormer 01-08-2020 11:45 PM

I run slipper clutches on all my RCs that can be fitted with them. I like having the option to manually specify the maximum torque that the motor can transmit to the rest of the drivetrain. On my fast vehicles it helps prevent accidental backflips, and also smooths the shifting on my 2-speed nitro trucks.

On my crawlers, however, I set the slipper clutches tight enough that the motor can just barely turn the spur gear at full throttle; that way I can get as much torque as the motor can produce, while also minimizing the risk of burning-out the motor if the truck gets really stuck. A stalled motor at full-throttle, being powered by a high-discharge LiPo battery, can release the magic smoke in a few seconds; having a slipper clutch saves me from having to buy a new motor if I'm being stupid and trying to un-stick my truck by stomping the gas.

- - -

As for the problems with your slipper clutch, it would help to know which truck you're having problems with. There may be parts from other vehicles that fit and work better, such as the Team Associated spur gear and slipper pads that I run on my Vaterra Ascender. Additionally, sanding-down the slipper plates to be perfectly flat will improve grip so the slipper clutch won't slip so easily. (and also sanding-down the pads to make them flat, if they are thick enough for that, such as the 3-puck slipper pads that Traxxas uses on its trucks.)

Frank211 01-09-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrstormer (Post 5989136)
I run slipper clutches on all my RCs that can be fitted with them. I like having the option to manually specify the maximum torque that the motor can transmit to the rest of the drivetrain. On my fast vehicles it helps prevent accidental backflips, and also smooths the shifting on my 2-speed nitro trucks.

On my crawlers, however, I set the slipper clutches tight enough that the motor can just barely turn the spur gear at full throttle; that way I can get as much torque as the motor can produce, while also minimizing the risk of burning-out the motor if the truck gets really stuck. A stalled motor at full-throttle, being powered by a high-discharge LiPo battery, can release the magic smoke in a few seconds; having a slipper clutch saves me from having to buy a new motor if I'm being stupid and trying to un-stick my truck by stomping the gas.

- - -

As for the problems with your slipper clutch, it would help to know which truck you're having problems with. There may be parts from other vehicles that fit and work better, such as the Team Associated spur gear and slipper pads that I run on my Vaterra Ascender. Additionally, sanding-down the slipper plates to be perfectly flat will improve grip so the slipper clutch won't slip so easily. (and also sanding-down the pads to make them flat, if they are thick enough for that, such as the 3-puck slipper pads that Traxxas uses on its trucks.)

I guess its the scx10 transmission/eBay bought. The/those slippers suck. Slip way too much. That's why i bought the slipper eliminator.

mewalsh100 01-10-2020 06:18 AM

Personally, I’d go ahead and install the eliminator - especially since you already bought it. Like I said, I’ve never had a failure as a result of running them. You just have to be mindful of the fact that you are now transmitting any and all power you apply directly to your drivetrain with no “fail-safe” in between for sloppy, ham-fisted throttle input in bind situations.

Alternatively - I’d also check the slipper pads and surfaces. It’s possible that they became contaminated with oil, grease and general grit. This would result in them “glazing” and not providing proper bite. As others stated as well, make sure if you do continue to run the slipper, that you do so with max pre-load on it.

Joselien 02-23-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjman (Post 5988905)
Any time you get the wheels bound up like between rocks the slipper can slip. On a competition rig that issue is a no go. Without it the weak point of the drivetrain moves elsewhere for it to break in that spot. Personally, I don't use roblox music codes a slipper clutch.

I don't comp, and since I need to use the hand of God 20 times per trip to fix my shitty driving anyway, I'd rather use it a couple more times to get me out of a jam that the slipper won't let me out of, than to use it to pick up a busted truck

ferp420 02-23-2020 09:49 AM

the only rig that i have that has a working slipper clutch is my yeti xl why the huge motor huge tires and a week drivetrain every other rig the clutches are locked tight or eliminated