Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anything on the market to replace the Twin Hammers void in my life?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Anything on the market to replace the Twin Hammers void in my life?

Twin Hammers was always one of those rigs I wanted but just never got around to buying. I liked the idea of the 2 speed transmission. Something that maybe isn't a great crawler but could crawl good enough for light trail work and then be fast enough with the proper suspension to do some drifting in the gravel parking lot and light jumping and bashing. I'm a fan of building kits so I went to buy one for myself last year and did not realize it had been discontinued. I could buy used model but I'm not a fan of used RCs and prefer to buy or build when I can. Looks like the Yeti has been discontinued too so obviously the IFS/trailing arm setup hasn't been very popular.

Rock Rey looked promising but is missing the 2 speed transmission and their kit is discontinued. Could go BnD but that isn't as appealing. If I was doing a RTR I would at least want it to have all the features I want (missing 2 speed).

Do I look at the TH clones instead?

Or is there another platform that I could adapt to my needs?
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anything on the market to replace the Twin Hammers void in my life?

I can understand wanting something that does not really seem to be on the market.

I also found myself wanting something faster than my crawler, that could take some jumps, and do some drifting, and maybe some easy trails. I wanted something full bodied (not an open wheeled buggy), and not too expensive.

There seems to be a bit of a void there as you've found.

Last night, I ended up taking an Arrma Senton home. It is stupid fast, and does not really want to do walking speed, at least not with the stock gearing. I'm sure I'll have fun with it, but I still feel like I would enjoy something between crawler speed and stupid fast.

I'm curious to see what suggestions you get, as you give the Rock Rey a "close but not quite."
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you still want a Twin Hammers that much I would just buy used and do a complete tear down/rebuild on it. It'll still feel like a project then, since you won't really get a clone hammers "kit" version either. Honestly with the advent of crawler-focused sensored motors/ESCs I see less need for 2 speed nowadays.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I'm curious to see what suggestions you get, as you give the Rock Rey a "close but not quite."
Honestly mainly just the 2 speed transmission and they no longer sell the Kit version. If I found a kit I would probably overlook it and throw a sensored ESC I have laying around in it. Since it isnt a kit I wanted to explore what was out there more since I don't really keep up with the market. If I can't find a better option that might be the one I circle back around to.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

There are a thousand Twin Hammers out there that could be bought, I am quite certain. Put up a want ad.

TH runs best on a sensored brushless system in my experience. You get both the smooth low end for crawling and the quickness the rig can easily take up with it's IFS. You have one less potential fail point this way, to boot.

I have a few Twin Hammers...at least
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have a TH on a brushed 540 20T 2speed trans right now which crawls very good and switching gears can also allow it to tear up the gravel. Just picked up a sensored brushless setup to try out after burning up my motor. One difference between kit and RTR is the kit has metal trans gears which I think is a pretty big update especially considering when you strip out the plastic gears on the RTR pulling the transmission is a pain in the butt.
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #7

What about the Traxxas UDR? It doesnt come in a kit to my knowledge but it is ifs front solid axle rear and it isnt open wheeled either with fairly scale looks.
KikRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

There is some NIB Twin hammer kits ffg floating around. Just go 4 or 5 pages deep into your Google search. I got my last one in November, and have seen a couple others since then.

Don't get a clone. By the time, and expense, of upgrading the trans gears, shocks, front diff outputs, and electronics, you'd be better off in the long run getting a genuine Vaterra.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Honestly 2 spds are a thing of the past. The brushless motors available these days are barely manageable on 4s (on a track) anyways but have exceptional start up and crawling abilities. Just something to think about. Twin hammers was fun but too small for my liking.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I know where one is that could fill that void possibly. Used but in good shape with the scorched rc front shock conversion and bellcrank steering upgrade and a high torque steering servo. Locker in the front and also has the scorched raised link mounts on the rear to help torque roll. It’s a surprisingly capable crawler that can go pretty fast. Just add your rx. Not sure exactly what to ask for it though. Thought about selling it to buy a bomber.
Dhallmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i realy enjoy my clone hammers it wasent a kit though

all the parts are avalible though so you could peice meal a kit together
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anything on the market to replace the Twin Hammers void in my life? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers King of the Hammers build questions Genghis Ken Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-08-2018 03:51 PM
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Life of an RC Addict - S01E12 - Twin Hammers, breaking expensive toys! Tin Soldier Videos! 6 03-23-2013 05:40 PM