Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2nd Truck Options: Element RC, Gen8 or Deadbolt and Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Default 2nd Truck Options: Element RC, Gen8 or Deadbolt and Why?

My son and I built a TRX4 Sport kit version and outfitted it with a HW1080, Holmes Trailmaster Sport 550, Gmade SR04 beadlocks and PL BFG Krawler KX Predators. I think we need another rig because both my 10yr old and 8yr old enjoy driving it.

I'm considering one of the following rigs. I like the kit option, but RTR seems the best value

Element RC Trailwalker for $299 and then using my leftover TRX4 wheels and tires but using the foams that came with the PL Krawlers (running DS foam in the TRX4). Might also buy the hard plastic rear and front braces for $7

Redcat Gen 8 for $299

Axial SCX10 2 Deadbolt for $299 and buy metal links to replace the plastic

I like the idea of the Element so far, but think the others are great options too. I can also get the Redcat Gen8 Pack and still have the fun in painting a body and using a better ESC and motor combo too for about the same price as the RTR

Thoughts

Jon
Spacefeeak1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

Default Re: 2nd Truck Options: Element RC, Gen8 or Deadbolt and Why?

I have an Enduro and a Gen8. They're set up differently, but I like the Enduro better. The lack of portals doesn't seem to be an issue, and it does steep climbs better. I do like the Gen8 body though, but its size inhibits capabilities
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I say the Enduro, since it seems it and the TRX4 are the top 2 from YouTube reviews I’ve watched. They’re the 2 I narrowed my choices to, and went with TRX4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #4

Thanks folks
I really like the crawler part of RC. I'm used to the faster RC's and the constant breakage issues. Crawlers are great because there's not a lot of issues letting kiddos drive them! I also just asked my landscaper friend how much a pallet of flagstone would be, so we can build a trial hill at home! All the rocks around here are either too large (glacial till giant boulders) or 5-6" rip wrap.

The Element is really intriguing. I was told by another person to get an Axial so I could go to Axialfest Midwest as it's just North of me in Attica, IN but I know I'd need to upgrade the links and I've heard Axial electronics aren't really that good at all. Out of the three options I'd say the Element has the best electronics (Although certainly not as good as the HW1080/Crawlmaster Sport 550 I have in the TRX). I've heard the Redcat motor is good but the ESC isn't.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Maybe go with a kit again, and get the Enduro. Add your electronics like you did with the TRX4

Old 02-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The new plastic links are much better than the old plastic links.... By a lot!

My rtr Honcho is still running them with zero issue.

Orrrrrr.....

Get a $200 Axial Raw Builders kit...

1080 and HH Tralimaster the radio might be a problem but rtr takeouts are cheap, I have given a few away. Servo Power HD 20 kg and your traxxas take off tires, and you got a great rig for a little more than a rtr.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The SCX10ii and Enduro both come as kits too, so that's not really an advantage to the Gen8.
I'd say go with the Enduro or SCX10ii, mainly because it might be fun for you to see and experience the differences of portals vs no portals.
I don't know much about the Gen8 to recommend it either, but run both SCX10ii and Enduro and they are both fantastic in my opinion.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would narrow it down to the Element & the Gen8. The Axial deadbolt needs too many upgrades to be competitive with the others. I think the electronics are pretty decent on both the Element & the Gen8. The Gen8 uses a Hobbywing 1040 esc & Flysky 2 channel radio. The Gen8 body is big, but very well done. The Element bodies are mediocre looking, but smaller. The Element is definitely more nimble, but the Gen8 crawls very well too. I like the forward mounted motor & divorced t-case on the Gen8. The center mounted motor on the Element keeps me from getting one, but that's just personal preference. I find the Gen8 to be a durable truck. I've had mine for a year & run it hard. I haven't had any breakage. Redcat now has upgraded portal gears & axle housings which are inexpensive & seem to have solved the issues that some people were having with them. From what I've seen, the Element seems pretty durable. I remember seeing some posts about cracked/broken steering knuckles/arms, but I don't think it's a widespread issue. I think it's a toss-up between the two. Just get the one you like best. I think you'll be happy either way.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #9

So that was a concern about the portal housings on the Gen8. I know the Axe was updated, but was the regular one updated with better housings too? Also I saw they offered a Gen8 with a clear body and no wheels/tires and there’s one on eBay for $250. How much are the upgraded portal housings?

It would be cool to paint a Gen8 body with the clear windows
Old 02-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I would narrow it down to the Element & the Gen8. The Axial deadbolt needs too many upgrades to be competitive with the others. I think the electronics are pretty decent on both the Element & the Gen8. The Gen8 uses a Hobbywing 1040 esc & Flysky 2 channel radio. The Gen8 body is big, but very well done. The Element bodies are mediocre looking, but smaller. The Element is definitely more nimble, but the Gen8 crawls very well too. I like the forward mounted motor & divorced t-case on the Gen8. The center mounted motor on the Element keeps me from getting one, but that's just personal preference. I find the Gen8 to be a durable truck. I've had mine for a year & run it hard. I haven't had any breakage. Redcat now has upgraded portal gears & axle housings which are inexpensive & seem to have solved the issues that some people were having with them. From what I've seen, the Element seems pretty durable. I remember seeing some posts about cracked/broken steering knuckles/arms, but I don't think it's a widespread issue. I think it's a toss-up between the two. Just get the one you like best. I think you'll be happy either way.
I'd have to disagree with the Deadbolt needing many upgrades to compete, we run an SCX10ii Deadbolt basically stock with just a tyre change, even stock foams and it can hang with the best of them and does most stuff my built rig does, with some practice they are brilliant even right out the box.
Pete Gray also won Class 2 in the UK scale Nationals with a box stock Deadbolt.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacefeeak1974 View Post
So that was a concern about the portal housings on the Gen8. I know the Axe was updated, but was the regular one updated with better housings too? Also I saw they offered a Gen8 with a clear body and no wheels/tires and there’s one on eBay for $250. How much are the upgraded portal housings?

It would be cool to paint a Gen8 body with the clear windows
The current stock of standard gen8's have the old gears & housings. They do come with extra portal gears inside the box. That being said, I have yet to break a stock portal gear. I have a set of HD portal gears & axles sitting on the shelf in case I do break a gear. I had no problems with the stock housings, but I upgraded to the new ones anyway. They are more stout than the originals & they have double-shear shock mounts. These are very inexpensive upgrades. I think current prices are about $15 for the HD gears/shafts & $20 for the new housing kit, which includes front & rear housings. There are also chromoly portal gears & shafts that are $40 for the kit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #12

I just chatted with someone on Facebook messenger from Element and I’d need to raise the body or trim the fenders to make 1.9 wheels and tires not rub on the body
Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
The current stock of standard gen8's have the old gears & housings. They do come with extra portal gears inside the box. That being said, I have yet to break a stock portal gear. I have a set of HD portal gears & axles sitting on the shelf in case I do break a gear. I had no problems with the stock housings, but I upgraded to the new ones anyway. They are more stout than the originals & they have double-shear shock mounts. These are very inexpensive upgrades. I think current prices are about $15 for the HD gears/shafts & $20 for the new housing kit, which includes front & rear housings. There are also chromoly portal gears & shafts that are $40 for the kit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'm still on my stock Gen8 hardware too. I bought the updated housings & axles when Redcat offered them at reduced pricing, but they're still sitting in their bags. I'm not going to replace them until they break. I run my truck on 3S most of the time, and so far so good. I suppose if I ran a brushless setup and drove it like a Stampede it would be an issue, but driving it like a crawler hasn't put an unreasonable amount of stress on the parts yet.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #14

Get another TRX-4 so you can share parts!

Don't waste money on a Deadbolt IMO. You can get the TRX-4 Sport for not much more at all and certainly less than the Deadbolt+metal links.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #15

I have given that some thought but I’d like something a little different. The Gen8 is super cool looking, but I’ve heard from some that the bump steer and turning radius is kinda bad.

I have been looking at the Axial SCX10 2 Blazer as it seems a good value for the scale body and kit, but the Element Trailwalker seems a really good option too as I have my take off Traxxas TRX4 tires and wheels with the softer foams. Team Associated-Element said I’d just have to raise the body posts up to use the taller tires.

In order to be satisfied I think I’m going to have to get an Element or another TRX4 in terms of quality.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Get another TRX-4 so you can share parts!

Don't waste money on a Deadbolt IMO. You can get the TRX-4 Sport for not much more at all and certainly less than the Deadbolt+metal links.

I like this idea

Old 02-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
I have given that some thought but I’d like something a little different. The Gen8 is super cool looking, but I’ve heard from some that the bump steer and turning radius is kinda bad.

I have been looking at the Axial SCX10 2 Blazer as it seems a good value for the scale body and kit, but the Element Trailwalker seems a really good option too as I have my take off Traxxas TRX4 tires and wheels with the softer foams. Team Associated-Element said I’d just have to raise the body posts up to use the taller tires.

In order to be satisfied I think I’m going to have to get an Element or another TRX4 in terms of quality.
The bump steer issue is completely overblown. Does it have bump steer? Yes. Is it a problem? Not really. If you were doing 50mph and hit a bump, it might cause a problem, but at crawler speeds, you're not going to get full suspension compression anyway, and during normal articulation it happens slowly enough that you'll never notice it.

It's also easy to dial out with a shallower servo arm. In fact, the newer trucks come with a shallow arm that all but eliminate it. I trimmed the block off my cheap metal arm and I no longer see any visible bump steer.

Steering radius isn't as tight as it is with my Enduro, but it's not terrible either. It's as good as any stock Axial rig.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Bumpsteer of the Gen8 is easily solved with a generic servo horn. Its steering radius is pretty good for its wheelbase ... you just can't expect a 12.8" to turn as sharp as a 12.3".
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Solid thinking. I'd suggest sticking with those two. The new IFS kit makes the Element even more appealing. Or you could wait to see what Axial releases at Axial Fest. I'm betting on an update to the SCX10 II, but I could be wrong.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Bumpsteer of the Gen8 is easily solved with a generic servo horn. Its steering radius is pretty good for its wheelbase ... you just can't expect a 12.8" to turn as sharp as a 12.3".
If I went with the Gen8 I’d take the hexfly servo out and put in a 20kg anyways. I’ve also got the metal horn that came with the Annimos 20kg. I’m getting a Savox 1210sg for the TRX4 anyways

Tags
axial, choice of trucks, element, redcat

2nd Truck Options: Element RC, Gen8 or Deadbolt and Why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Element RC Enduro Sendero Trail Truck RTR - Now In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-24-2019 05:03 PM
Pre-Order Now - Element RC Enduro Sendero Trail Truck RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-20-2019 10:11 AM
Good 2nd truck Zippy1 Newbie General 10 09-08-2017 10:44 PM
Jwall's 2nd truck happens to be a bomber! jwall046 Axial RR10 Bomber 33 02-22-2016 04:33 AM
AX10 2nd Gen Chassis Options Creepcreep Newbie General 2 10-26-2015 06:38 PM