Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Opinions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Opinions please

I want portals, so should i buy the new redcat axe, a trx4 chassis kit, OR the currie VP portals?
Which would you choose?
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

Default Re: Opinions please

I have a trx4 and I absolutely love it. I had such a fun time building it the only thing I would do is throw the locking riffs and get the traxxas diff spools tra8297. I havent found a place I need open diffs. the stock servo is kind of trash so you wanna get that upgraded asap, especially if you're gonna get the traxx. the two speed tranny is really helpful along with the cruise control on the transmitter.if you're going full speed and turn it will just tip right over so theres that. but nonetheless, I absolutely love it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
damnitbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

the portal axles also help so much for what I've experienced. message me for any other questions, I'll be happy to assist you!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #4

I would strongly recommend trx4!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
yp.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yp.sebastian View Post
I would strongly recommend trx4!

do you have a sport or a regular

Old 02-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #6

I think you'd have to be insane to choose the Redcat Gen8 over a TRX-4. The TRX-4 has already proven to much tougher and less problematic. The TRX-4 is great.

VP is a different price level altogether.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I got the trx4 unassembled Sport kit so I could choose my own Electronics. Out of the many kits that I've built, it was by far the easiest to assemble. I absolutely love it! Mine is a pure crawler. I have no need for the 2 speed model.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I'd only ever pick Redcat if it was the only option, otherwise TRX-4 every time. VP only if you really like staring at your axles while crawling.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Heck, you can get a whole TRX 4 sport RTR for less than it would cost to buy the Vanquish portals front and rear by themselves

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm relatively new to all this, I don't compete I just play, and I also love my TRX4 - I have the RTR Blazer.

I don't see the extra money in the Redcat Axe edition. But my brother bought a regular Redcat Gen8 Scout and it's a nice truck as well. Can't switch gears, can't lock/unlock diffs, and no cruise control - but with driver finesse at the wheel the Gen8 will crawl as slow as my TRX4 and follow same lines, and at wide open my TRX4 in 2nd gear is just very very slightly faster. I can't say anything bad about the regular Redcat Gen8 Scout at all. So (to me anyway) there's really not much advantage in the TRX4 - some days I love the little bells/whistles of my TRX4, other days I think I should've saved that $200 and got the Redcat Scout.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

That's what makes the trx4 sport a good choice. Same (lack of) features as the gen8, similar price, but then you have the benefits of the much more expansive aftermarket support. I've owned my share of redcats and had reasonable luck with them, but between a gen8 and a trx4, I'd absolutely go trx4.

That said, is the Capra out of the question? Or I guess the bigger question is: what are you looking to do/build out of it?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Redcat plastic is not strong enough. Portal gears are weak. The money spent to get them even close to durable, would be better spent on another brand of portal axles. They would not be on my list at all. Great starter truck but not durable. That's my reason for getting rid of the Gen8
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I love my trx4, it is very reliable. The only thing the trx4 needed is more weight down low. Why didn't you include the capra? The capra also has portals and has been more capable than the trx4. Both are great trucks.

Side note also what about the ssd portals or the new supershafty aluminum capra axles? Just giving you more options.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #14

I won't argue that the TRX4 is stronger/better than the Gen8, because I believe that it is, but I will argue that the Gen8 isn't as problematic as some people make it out to be. The Gen8 did have some weak points, which were mentioned here: axle housings and the upper portal gears. Both of these have been addressed by Redcat, and are being incorporated into the newer trucks, including the Axe edition. The housings are re-designed and have double-shear shock mounts now. The axles & upper portal are redesigned to be substantially stronger. Redcat also offers chromoly shafts and gears as an additional upgrade.

When Redcat first released the updated parts, I bought them, and still haven't installed them, because I still haven't broken the original parts yet, even though most of my driving is on 3S. If you don't treat this truck like a Stampede and huck it off a bunch of jumps, or do dumb stuff like yank the throttle when the wheels are bound up, your chances of actually breaking these parts is somewhat low.

Ultimately, it's my opinion that the durability of the Gen8, while not necessarily at the same level as the TRX4, is perfectly adequate for all but the most abusive users, and if the Gen8's other features appeal to you (cosmetics, price, etc), then I wouldn't shy away from buying one. I'm very happy with mine, and I haven't yet had any remorse over buying it instead of the TRX4.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I won't argue that the TRX4 is stronger/better than the Gen8, because I believe that it is, but I will argue that the Gen8 isn't as problematic as some people make it out to be. The Gen8 did have some weak points, which were mentioned here: axle housings and the upper portal gears. Both of these have been addressed by Redcat, and are being incorporated into the newer trucks, including the Axe edition. The housings are re-designed and have double-shear shock mounts now. The axles & upper portal are redesigned to be substantially stronger. Redcat also offers chromoly shafts and gears as an additional upgrade.

When Redcat first released the updated parts, I bought them, and still haven't installed them, because I still haven't broken the original parts yet, even though most of my driving is on 3S. If you don't treat this truck like a Stampede and huck it off a bunch of jumps, or do dumb stuff like yank the throttle when the wheels are bound up, your chances of actually breaking these parts is somewhat low.

Ultimately, it's my opinion that the durability of the Gen8, while not necessarily at the same level as the TRX4, is perfectly adequate for all but the most abusive users, and if the Gen8's other features appeal to you (cosmetics, price, etc), then I wouldn't shy away from buying one. I'm very happy with mine, and I haven't yet had any remorse over buying it instead of the TRX4.
I agree with Jim on all counts & my experience with the Gen8 has been pretty much identical. While I never broke an original axle housing, I did install the updated housings. They are more substantial than the original versions & have seemed to solve the problems that some were having with the originals. I am still running the original portal gears, which haven't been an issue for me. I do have the HD (not chromoly) gears & shafts sitting on the bench in case a gear does let go. Again, the HD gears, along with the chromoly gears, have seemed to solve the gear issues. These are inexspensive updates. Redcat also offers a very inexspensive flat skid kit to get rid of the dreaded skid hump.
I'm very happy with my Gen8 & while I do like the TRX4, I don't really feel the need to get one. The Gen8 performs just as well or better than any of the other brands out on our local trails.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Trx4 blazer is the one id keep if I sold them all.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitbubbles View Post
do you have a sport or a regular

I've had the very early relugar defender which gradually turned into sporty as I permanently locked the diffs and single speed trans.

yp.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I would add that of all the portal axle kits currently on the market, the TRX4 has far more aftermarket support. There are a number of all metal axle housing options for the TRX4 for not a lot of money up to a lot of money if you choose.

That said, I have a question for "damnitbubbles". How do you drive that truck with tracks on the rear and tires on the front? The drive ratio difference front to rear is so dramatic that that thing has to be dragging the rear or slipping the front or both in the extreme. I'm just guestimating here but if you divide the diameter of the front tire lets say 4.7" by the diameter of the rear drive sprocket lets say 1.5" that's a drive ratio of 3.13:1 front to rear. By comparison, using the TRX4 OD/UD ring and pinion gears gives you a 1.23:1 ratio front to rear. The bottom line is that is an extreme OD/UD setup.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-19-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

MST CFX-W is not available where you live ?
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
That said, I have a question for "damnitbubbles". How do you drive that truck with tracks on the rear and tires on the front? The drive ratio difference front to rear is so dramatic that that thing has to be dragging the rear or slipping the front or both in the extreme. I'm just guestimating here but if you divide the diameter of the front tire lets say 4.7" by the diameter of the rear drive sprocket lets say 1.5" that's a drive ratio of 3.13:1 front to rear. By comparison, using the TRX4 OD/UD ring and pinion gears gives you a 1.23:1 ratio front to rear. The bottom line is that is an extreme OD/UD setup.
I was wondering the same thing.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opinions please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some opinions Briguy-01 Axial Wraith 10 02-12-2013 09:58 PM
opinions please gofaster427 General Scale Talk 5 09-17-2012 08:04 AM
any opinions? sabo_traxxas Traxxas Crawlers 4 12-14-2007 11:48 AM
i need opinions TeamDeweyRacing Tamiya Clod Buster 7 01-05-2007 10:52 PM
Your opinions Unholy Chit Chat 7 05-31-2006 02:16 PM