RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Opinions please (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/615315-opinions-please.html)

Frank211 02-03-2020 09:46 AM

Opinions please

I want portals, so should i buy the new redcat axe, a trx4 chassis kit, OR the currie VP portals?
Which would you choose?

damnitbubbles 02-03-2020 09:52 AM

Re: Opinions please

I have a trx4 and I absolutely love it. I had such a fun time building it the only thing I would do is throw the locking riffs and get the traxxas diff spools tra8297. I havent found a place I need open diffs. the stock servo is kind of trash so you wanna get that upgraded asap, especially if you're gonna get the traxx. the two speed tranny is really helpful along with the cruise control on the transmitter.if you're going full speed and turn it will just tip right over so theres that. but nonetheless, I absolutely love it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...50b44b9891.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c83ef5253e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0d8445d7d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...73044fddf3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1f27c8a9f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

damnitbubbles 02-03-2020 09:54 AM

the portal axles also help so much for what I've experienced. message me for any other questions, I'll be happy to assist you!

yp.sebastian 02-03-2020 10:15 AM

I would strongly recommend trx4!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

damnitbubbles 02-03-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yp.sebastian (Post 5995527)
I would strongly recommend trx4!

do you have a sport or a regular

JatoTheRipper 02-03-2020 10:23 AM

I think you'd have to be insane to choose the Redcat Gen8 over a TRX-4. The TRX-4 has already proven to much tougher and less problematic. The TRX-4 is great.

VP is a different price level altogether.

MaX-D 02-03-2020 10:51 AM

I got the trx4 unassembled Sport kit so I could choose my own Electronics. Out of the many kits that I've built, it was by far the easiest to assemble. I absolutely love it! Mine is a pure crawler. I have no need for the 2 speed model.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sneetches 02-03-2020 10:55 AM

I'd only ever pick Redcat if it was the only option, otherwise TRX-4 every time. VP only if you really like staring at your axles while crawling.

MaX-D 02-03-2020 11:07 AM

Heck, you can get a whole TRX 4 sport RTR for less than it would cost to buy the Vanquish portals front and rear by themselves

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

vf750rider 02-03-2020 03:33 PM

I'm relatively new to all this, I don't compete I just play, and I also love my TRX4 - I have the RTR Blazer.

I don't see the extra money in the Redcat Axe edition. But my brother bought a regular Redcat Gen8 Scout and it's a nice truck as well. Can't switch gears, can't lock/unlock diffs, and no cruise control - but with driver finesse at the wheel the Gen8 will crawl as slow as my TRX4 and follow same lines, and at wide open my TRX4 in 2nd gear is just very very slightly faster. I can't say anything bad about the regular Redcat Gen8 Scout at all. So (to me anyway) there's really not much advantage in the TRX4 - some days I love the little bells/whistles of my TRX4, other days I think I should've saved that $200 and got the Redcat Scout.

TheLetterJ 02-03-2020 04:33 PM

That's what makes the trx4 sport a good choice. Same (lack of) features as the gen8, similar price, but then you have the benefits of the much more expansive aftermarket support. I've owned my share of redcats and had reasonable luck with them, but between a gen8 and a trx4, I'd absolutely go trx4.

That said, is the Capra out of the question? Or I guess the bigger question is: what are you looking to do/build out of it?

cul8tr 02-04-2020 06:18 PM

Redcat plastic is not strong enough. Portal gears are weak. The money spent to get them even close to durable, would be better spent on another brand of portal axles. They would not be on my list at all. Great starter truck but not durable. That's my reason for getting rid of the Gen8

Dezertdirt 02-04-2020 08:48 PM

I love my trx4, it is very reliable. The only thing the trx4 needed is more weight down low. Why didn't you include the capra? The capra also has portals and has been more capable than the trx4. Both are great trucks.

Side note also what about the ssd portals or the new supershafty aluminum capra axles? Just giving you more options.

Jim85IROC 02-05-2020 07:29 AM

I won't argue that the TRX4 is stronger/better than the Gen8, because I believe that it is, but I will argue that the Gen8 isn't as problematic as some people make it out to be. The Gen8 did have some weak points, which were mentioned here: axle housings and the upper portal gears. Both of these have been addressed by Redcat, and are being incorporated into the newer trucks, including the Axe edition. The housings are re-designed and have double-shear shock mounts now. The axles & upper portal are redesigned to be substantially stronger. Redcat also offers chromoly shafts and gears as an additional upgrade.

When Redcat first released the updated parts, I bought them, and still haven't installed them, because I still haven't broken the original parts yet, even though most of my driving is on 3S. If you don't treat this truck like a Stampede and huck it off a bunch of jumps, or do dumb stuff like yank the throttle when the wheels are bound up, your chances of actually breaking these parts is somewhat low.

Ultimately, it's my opinion that the durability of the Gen8, while not necessarily at the same level as the TRX4, is perfectly adequate for all but the most abusive users, and if the Gen8's other features appeal to you (cosmetics, price, etc), then I wouldn't shy away from buying one. I'm very happy with mine, and I haven't yet had any remorse over buying it instead of the TRX4.

Bob_in az 02-05-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5996024)
I won't argue that the TRX4 is stronger/better than the Gen8, because I believe that it is, but I will argue that the Gen8 isn't as problematic as some people make it out to be. The Gen8 did have some weak points, which were mentioned here: axle housings and the upper portal gears. Both of these have been addressed by Redcat, and are being incorporated into the newer trucks, including the Axe edition. The housings are re-designed and have double-shear shock mounts now. The axles & upper portal are redesigned to be substantially stronger. Redcat also offers chromoly shafts and gears as an additional upgrade.

When Redcat first released the updated parts, I bought them, and still haven't installed them, because I still haven't broken the original parts yet, even though most of my driving is on 3S. If you don't treat this truck like a Stampede and huck it off a bunch of jumps, or do dumb stuff like yank the throttle when the wheels are bound up, your chances of actually breaking these parts is somewhat low.

Ultimately, it's my opinion that the durability of the Gen8, while not necessarily at the same level as the TRX4, is perfectly adequate for all but the most abusive users, and if the Gen8's other features appeal to you (cosmetics, price, etc), then I wouldn't shy away from buying one. I'm very happy with mine, and I haven't yet had any remorse over buying it instead of the TRX4.

I agree with Jim on all counts & my experience with the Gen8 has been pretty much identical. While I never broke an original axle housing, I did install the updated housings. They are more substantial than the original versions & have seemed to solve the problems that some were having with the originals. I am still running the original portal gears, which haven't been an issue for me. I do have the HD (not chromoly) gears & shafts sitting on the bench in case a gear does let go. Again, the HD gears, along with the chromoly gears, have seemed to solve the gear issues. These are inexspensive updates. Redcat also offers a very inexspensive flat skid kit to get rid of the dreaded skid hump.
I'm very happy with my Gen8 & while I do like the TRX4, I don't really feel the need to get one. The Gen8 performs just as well or better than any of the other brands out on our local trails.

ScottyPotty 02-05-2020 07:20 PM

Trx4 blazer is the one id keep if I sold them all.

yp.sebastian 04-19-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damnitbubbles (Post 5995528)
do you have a sport or a regular

I've had the very early relugar defender which gradually turned into sporty as I permanently locked the diffs and single speed trans.

Inspector86 04-19-2020 09:33 AM

I would add that of all the portal axle kits currently on the market, the TRX4 has far more aftermarket support. There are a number of all metal axle housing options for the TRX4 for not a lot of money up to a lot of money if you choose.

That said, I have a question for "damnitbubbles". How do you drive that truck with tracks on the rear and tires on the front? The drive ratio difference front to rear is so dramatic that that thing has to be dragging the rear or slipping the front or both in the extreme. I'm just guestimating here but if you divide the diameter of the front tire lets say 4.7" by the diameter of the rear drive sprocket lets say 1.5" that's a drive ratio of 3.13:1 front to rear. By comparison, using the TRX4 OD/UD ring and pinion gears gives you a 1.23:1 ratio front to rear. The bottom line is that is an extreme OD/UD setup.

CyberFox 04-19-2020 12:38 PM

MST CFX-W is not available where you live ?

JDM74 04-19-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6015224)
That said, I have a question for "damnitbubbles". How do you drive that truck with tracks on the rear and tires on the front? The drive ratio difference front to rear is so dramatic that that thing has to be dragging the rear or slipping the front or both in the extreme. I'm just guestimating here but if you divide the diameter of the front tire lets say 4.7" by the diameter of the rear drive sprocket lets say 1.5" that's a drive ratio of 3.13:1 front to rear. By comparison, using the TRX4 OD/UD ring and pinion gears gives you a 1.23:1 ratio front to rear. The bottom line is that is an extreme OD/UD setup.

I was wondering the same thing.