Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cheapest Method to Ship RC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #1

Default Cheapest Method to Ship RC's

I am looking to sell a bunch of rigs. Shipping has gotten a lot more expensive recently. USPS Click-N-Ship is asking nearly $50 to ship my Wraith from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts. So I am looking at other options to ship it as cheaply as possible. I'm open to using FedEx and UPS if necessary.

What do you guys use to sell RC's?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cheapest Method to Ship RC's

Something ive done when shipping my old vehicles has been to make the smallest form factor as possible. Tires off and shocks off to get the truck as low as possible, and sometimes even remove the axle if it was a wide truck. Bodies are hard to work around when minimizing volume though. I have always used fedex and have not had any rates over $30 even for shipping a truck across country.

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #3

I have shipped many many trucks from 1/18 to 1/6 fedex is by far the cheapest just make sure you package them well they are brutal on packages. I shipped an scx10 from mass to florida the other day for like $18. make sure you check all the prices smartpost is not always cheaper than home delivery. While you are at it sign up online you get a bit more of a discount than just walking into a fedex store.
h22a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hey Jato - I don’t have a lot to add with regard to shipping. But, I’m in the same boat. Need to off load some rigs. Where are you marketing? Here on RCC? Anywhere else?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cost me over $25 to send a 21"x7"x6" lexan body to Georgia UPS ground the other day, the Post Office wanted even more.

I was really taken aback by the exorbitant amounts they wanted for 2.2lbs, but possibly could have gotten off cheaper if I also checked with Fed-Ex.

I just ran out of time and wanted to be done with the whole mess!

The box was the same box used to originally ship the body to me, barely bigger than the body...

Last edited by durok; 02-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Box Size
Size not weight can kill you.
FedEx is the cheapest and worst.
Pack it securely, compact as possible.
Check thru work, many companies get shipper rates

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

You guys makes me laugh... Try shipping something from or to Canada

I shipped 2 RC driver heads about 200km north of Montreal (same province, no border crossing) and it was 20$ for a little envelope weighing about 50gram...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
You guys makes me laugh... Try shipping something from or to Canada

I shipped 2 RC driver heads about 200km north of Montreal (same province, no border crossing) and it was 20$ for a little envelope weighing about 50gram...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Just found this out inadvertently as my family and I were in Montreal for the weekend and forgot some electronic devices in the safe. FedEx to ship them back home was $42 cad. Home is buffalo so about a 6 hour drive.

To add to the post though, as mentioned size is a bigger factor than the weight. Try to cut down the box if you can make it smaller. I always pack stuff really well. I’m not taking the chance of damage. One time I got an iPad in its box shipped in a padded envelope. I paid $600 for it, you would think a little care and effort would be taken. And you can go on the 3 different websites (USPS, fedex and ups) and input your information to get the best prices. You will get a slight discount if you print the label through PayPal.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
Something ive done when shipping my old vehicles has been to make the smallest form factor as possible. Tires off and shocks off to get the truck as low as possible, and sometimes even remove the axle if it was a wide truck. Bodies are hard to work around when minimizing volume though. I have always used fedex and have not had any rates over $30 even for shipping a truck across country.

X2 except usually used UPS, I hate FedEx!

FedEx, has rescheduled deliveries at the last minute many times, given the run around when I called them about where's my package, smashed the hell out of some expensive packages I ordered, and last time I had to call about my undelivered package Friday evening it finally showed up that night but looked like they were angry about having to come back out that night and had played soccer with it! It looked so bad that I don't know how the electronics inside survived.

Usually use UPS (sometimes USPS), but go online and input your info to get prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
...I’m in the same boat. Need to off load some rigs. Where are you marketing? Here on RCC? Anywhere else?

Here on RCC unless it's something that's kinda too niche for here, then Ebay, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Box Size
Size not weight can kill you.
FedEx is the cheapest and worst.
Pack it securely, compact as possible.
Check thru work, many companies get shipper rates.

Yes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you were paid via paypal you get a discounted rate by USPS. Or at least I did some time ago.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
If you were paid via paypal you get a discounted rate by USPS. Or at least I did some time ago.
A lot of the popular selling sites (Ebay, Mercari, Reverb, etc) have special shipping rates with the major shippers, so even though you get poked for seller's fees, quite often you can save that money back on shipping costs & hassles.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It's been a few years since I shipped anything and the last thing I shipped I used the "If it fits, it ships" fixed price box from USPS. The box was slightly smaller than an RC and the shipping cost was $8.95. When I took the package to the post office and they weighed it they told me if I had used my own packaging, by weight, it would have cost me over $40. Sometimes it's worth checking these things out.

And, Jboucher is right, Canada Post is probably 4x or more what you would pay for shipping USPS.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just shipped a semi smallish box from PA to AK via USPS and it was an eye watering $30... I almost fell over.

I'll definitely try Fed Ex sometime...I've never tried them. Usually, UPS is a bit more expensive than USPS, but both are getting pricey.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Jato, FYI, I shipped a 3lb package to Taiwan via UPS, cost me $192...first time shipping, & the recipient had to pay the NT equivalent of $5.80 to accept it, I'll never do that again.

Second package was 6lbs through USPS, around $78.

Just sent another to the same address, USPS, 15lbs, $115. your mileage may vary, but for me, and the fact that mine has to go through customs, I'll use USPS.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I haven't shipped a rig in a long time, but I always used USPS and size matters, no pun intended lol, I learned to fit it in the smallest box possible, it was always cheaper. You know when they get the tape measure out prepare to pay more lol. I just bought a rig from California and it cost 62.50 USPS but he sent it in a Marlin crawler box, I'm betting if he would've took the wheels off and maybe the shocks and fit it in a smaller box it would've been $20 cheaper. I don't think the weight is as important as the size, the smaller it is the more they can fit on the truck, plane, etc.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, selling, ship, shipping, usps

Cheapest Method to Ship RC's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
licence to ship prusik333 Chit Chat 14 03-05-2011 09:48 PM
i will ship with insurance always clodstall Chit Chat 16 10-02-2007 09:31 PM
best way to ship an rc? TxCruzr Chit Chat 7 12-25-2006 07:37 PM
Container ship. Tronk Chit Chat 11 12-20-2006 09:08 AM