Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Opinion of next RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Default Opinion of next RTR

I currently have -

Axial Wraith 1.9 (that I don't like very much. I don't drive it very well and am surprised by how tippy it is)

Element Enduro (I love it, but my wife is starting to grow attached to it)

Traxxas TRX4 Defender body (fairly new so I don't have too much of an opinion. However, so far I really like it. I can tell it is pretty top heavy?

So, I was thinking my next rig. Yes, I might have a small addiction. I was thinking it would be a RC 4WD C2X, but they don't carry them around here. I'd like to put my hands on one before I purchase. But, is there something else I should be considering? I want a RTR as my 47 year old eyes hate the small parts. Do the SCX10 ii run different than the Wraiths? Is there another brand I should be considering?

Pretty much slow speed rock crawling is all I do. It (they) go with me camping or when we are out in our sxs.

Thanks
Idaho_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Opinion of next RTR

Since you already have some more scale type stuff, sounds like you should get a Capra. Very capable rig although like most RTR the electronics are its weakness. But if you want a next level rig I would get that. Its far more capable of a crawler than what you have, and different, which is always fun.

Welcome RCCrawler, Check out the Capra subforum http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In the sake of getting something different perhaps the Gmade BOM? I don't know much about them but they are intriguing.
Otherwise the Axial SCX10.3 was recently announced

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #4

Welcome to the site!

I urge you to build! That's such a fun part of it IMO.

But if not, I'll agree with Josh and say the Capra would be a great choice.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Welcome to the site!

I urge you to build! That's such a fun part of it IMO.

But if not, I'll agree with Josh and say the Capra would be a great choice.
Back when I was younger I built a Losi XXT. That was in the early to mid 90 when there was no YOUTUBE. I enjoyed it mostly. Like I said, old eyes and less patiences. If I was going to build, it would be a Vanquish. I hadn’t given the Capra much thought. I tend to like the more scale outfits
Old 03-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_Chad View Post
Back when I was younger I built a Losi XXT. That was in the early to mid 90 when there was no YOUTUBE. I enjoyed it mostly. Like I said, old eyes and less patiences. If I was going to build, it would be a Vanquish. I hadn’t given the Capra much thought. I tend to like the more scale outfits
Fair enough.

The SCX10 II is much different than a Wraith. Wraith's performance is pretty poor compared to any new trucks these days. That's a stock Wraith. Modified, they can still crawl like heck. The massive skid plate is a hang point though.

I have an RC4WD TF2. Those trucks aren't durable so you have to drive them scale. I'm not a fan, but I have a friend that loves them because he's a scale nerd.

If I want to drive leaf springs I always choose my Sawbacks over my TF2.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

My first rig was a wraith spawn 2.2. Didn’t do much to it but it was for for what it was. That’s until I picked up an scx10.2 then I found myself not even driving the wraith so I traded it for another 10.2
There’s tons of aftermarket out there for them name brand and some ok knock off, that’s the biggest thing for me. Since then I acquired a Vaterra twin hammers and a trx4 on traxx but my first 10.2 is my go to every time.
I’d so if you can hold out and see if they release a scx10.3 in rtr because the materials are supposed to be way better than its predecessor.
Either way happy hunting! Let us know what you end up with
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have a tf2, a trx4, a capra and a scx10.2.
For scale driving experience nothing beats the tf2, I have had it for over 5 years. the only gripe is the leaf springs bend fairly easy but can be bent back easily enough. Other than the leaf springs it is a very reliable rig, and the only thing that I added was some slightly larger tires (4.19s). Mine was a kit, so I can't say anything about stock electronics. I have heard the marlin rtr version of the tf2 is even better minus the stock battery and servo.
For technological fun (diff locks, 2 speed trans, trail speed selection, and portals) nothing beats the trx4. It is really reliable, no breakages for over a year and a half, servo might be starting to go out though. With the defender body, it is very top heavy and I have add some brass portal covers and that does help.
The scx10.2 is good right out of the box, if you get one with the ss links. It is fun but not as fun as the other three.
The rtr capra is amazing, it is so capable. You will need to grease the axles and swap out the stock tires but after that it is very good.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Carisma SCA-1e Subaru Brat.
Cheap, Reliable, Fun
Throw a 550 45 Turn Holmes Hobbies and a set of Tamiya TRF211 soft Big Bore springs the tip over angle and performance is really good.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I currently have -

Axial Wraith 1.9 (that I don't like very much. I don't drive it very well and am surprised by how tippy it is)

Traxxas TRX4 Defender body (fairly new so I don't have too much of an opinion. However, so far I really like it. I can tell it is pretty top heavy?

So, I was thinking my next rig. Yes, I might have a small addiction. I was thinking it would be a RC 4WD C2X, but they don't carry them around here. I'd like to put my hands on one before I purchase. But, is there something else I should be considering? I want a RTR as my 47 year old eyes hate the small parts. Do the SCX10 ii run different than the Wraiths? Is there another brand I should be considering?

Pretty much slow speed rock crawling is all I do. It (they) go with me camping or when we are out in our sxs.

Thanks

I'd say before you go and drop another $350-500 on a new rig, I'd take some time to tune the 1.9 Wraith, and you could certainly lose a ton of weight by going with a different body on the TRX4 Defender chassis. Plus, if you think the 1.9 Wraith feels tippy, wait'll you wheel the C2X.

I'd also say there are a number of things you could do with regard to tuning that are basically free. Change / adjust shock oil, adjust sag and pre-load, move electronics and other components around for better COG, etc. Smaller tuning spends would include changing springs for different spring rates, adding some weight down low on the axles, better foams for your tires. You get the idea. I've seen some 1.9 Wraiths that are virtually unstoppable. Bottom line, there is not a rig out there that is truly tuned and ready to run, but that's what makes the hobby great. You get to tinker and tune with tiny trucks!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Welcome around. The trx4 would be a great choice. Very durable. Yes the body is heavy. You could help it out and take the cage, spare tire off and other pieces and lighten it up. Or get a new body for it at least. I have a rc4wd trailfinder and love it. It's a very fun truck so I would think the c2x would be as well. A scx10ii would be a good choice. The plastic on it is not the best but thata what upgrades are for lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

About a month or two ago I bought my first RC, TRX4 Mercedes body. After dumbing the heavy body, getting better tires with weighted wheels and a decent servo I can easily compete in local competitions.

I am not winning yet but after doing the above upgrades I am actual MUCH closer to the top then the bottom.

With the stock body, wheel/tire combo and the crappy servo it was all I could do to keep from tipping, but not anymore. I am actual doing pretty good.

Many people are using the TRX4 at these competitions but none use the stock bodies.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I got a Redcat gen8 a couple weeks ago. It is surprisingly good. Compared to my scx10ii, trx4 and wraith it's right there with them. A lot cheaper, which means more money for upgrades. Only real down side so far is lack of aftermarket bumpers and I get less steering angle on the pass side than I do on the drivers side. That's after the relocation mount, steering links and SSD front shock mounts with panhard bar. The steering so far has been less of an issue than most had written about. I replaced the motor with a crawlmaster 12t, and replaced the servo with a 25kg servo.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme4x2 View Post
I got a Redcat gen8 a couple weeks ago. It is surprisingly good. Compared to my scx10ii, trx4 and wraith it's right there with them. A lot cheaper, which means more money for upgrades. Only real down side so far is lack of aftermarket bumpers and I get less steering angle on the pass side than I do on the drivers side. That's after the relocation mount, steering links and SSD front shock mounts with panhard bar. The steering so far has been less of an issue than most had written about. I replaced the motor with a crawlmaster 12t, and replaced the servo with a 25kg servo.
My sons friend has one and it seems very good. The size of the body vs the tire size makes the tires seem smaller than others but it looks more to scale. I think the body is also nicer than others.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #15

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions - KEEP 'EM coming. The MOD thing will happen as I read and learn more. I pretty much have the Wraith sold to a buddy who wants to get into crawling. I may go through the list of suggestions before he gets it. Better to leave it in better shape than when I got it, right.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Hey it’s nice to see other people who do crawlers in my area! If you’re looking for a new rig, try the scx10 II raw builders kit. It is a great platform that has a huge amount of aftermarket parts for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I currently have -

Thanks
Hey Neighbor! I found the Wraith 1,9 a bit tippy as well when I drove my friends. The suspension seemed much to stiff imo. I really enjoyed building my RBK two years ago, and with a couple free mods, it works really well.

My Trail honcho got the body lowered and the springs swapped front to rear and a smaller tire on rc4wd steelies. Running a little 2200mah 3s pack, she is super stable and walks circles around my friends 1.9 Wraith. He just needs some tuning.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Opinion of next RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In your opinion, what should I do next? tomasw1 Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 04-27-2013 01:08 PM
I need your opinion!!!!!!! shadow Newbie General 5 09-23-2006 03:58 PM
Asking your opinion again. Double J Chit Chat 7 08-14-2006 01:28 PM