Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cross RC SG4 vs RC4WD C2X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Cross RC SG4 vs RC4WD C2X

I have a TRX Bronco which I thoroughly enjoy. Thinking about getting a second truck, which should preferably be a hard body. The two choices I have are the Cross RC SG4 and the RC4WD C2X. Just wanted to get a feel from those who have some experience with these rigs what their opinions are. This would help in my decision. Alternatively, is to just get another TRX kit and fit a LC70 body.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cross RC SG4 vs RC4WD C2X

Neither are going to be as good performers as the TRX but the RC4WD I would stay away from, their quality is shitty at best. I’ve just sold my TF2 and won’t buy another product from them unless there’s a huge change in quality.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Both CrossRC and RC4WD makes low quality rigs.

I highly suggest getting another TRX-4 and putting a hard body on it.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would go for the rc4wd out of the two. I have a trailfinder and love it. It's been a great rig. The way I have mine set up is not for comps but for fun. I have lots into mine and it's been a very dependable rig for the trails. The quality of rc4wd is pretty good imo but its definitely not like the trx4. Go for the c2x, always fun to have a a variety of trucks.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I would go for the rc4wd out of the two. I have a trailfinder and love it. It's been a great rig. The way I have mine set up is not for comps but for fun. I have lots into mine and it's been a very dependable rig for the trails. The quality of rc4wd is pretty good imo but its definitely not like the trx4. Go for the c2x, always fun to have a a variety of trucks.

X2, bunch of great build threads in TF2 section, here's a few. Edit: My TF2 is quite capable after some basic free/cheap mods and Pitbull Braven Ironsides tires, it's a joy to drive but requires more thought when driving!

Levi' s tf2 build

Mountain Expedition Yota.

The journey of a slightly de-marlinized TF2

Ooooh...a Tf2 Mojave 2 by Roo (and new2...rocks)

yet another TF2 thread.......

Dez went Marlin fishing!

Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck

Last edited by Natedog; 04-23-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments. I must admit I do like the off-roading capability of the TRX 4 compared to some other brands. Also like the 2-speed/lockers. However, it would be nice to have a hardbody rig as well, but since I don't plan on competing, a scale chassis is probably not totally needed. I would like a pickup style body though and have only seen the LC70 being fitted to a TRX 4. Doesn't seem to be much out there to fit. A Cross SG4 Demon style would be neat though, but I'm not sure if it will fit on a TRX chassis. Any suggestions on other bodies will be welcomed.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I built a TRX-4 kit and a TF2 LWB kit. First Cross kit is in the mail so I can't speak to that yet.

I will say my personal experience with RC4WD axles for one build, the TF2 kit and a few other parts were overpriced and very poor quality in terms of fit, machining and functionality.

As already said, if you're looking to compare kit quality or performance of the TRX to a scale oriented platform you're going to be disappointed.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
Neither are going to be as good performers as the TRX but the RC4WD I would stay away from, their quality is shitty at best. I’ve just sold my TF2 and won’t buy another product from them unless there’s a huge change in quality.
Agree with RC4WD (never owned a Cross RC).

I have had three TF2s, and they have all been aggravating disappointments. The first time was shortly after the truck came out, so I understand some of the issues. But, wanting a REALLY good looking scale (C1) rig, I bought another, had all of the same issues, a couple of years went by, hoping they'd fix the issues, or any issue, and it turned out to be the same piece of junk. The CX2 is basically a TF2 on steroids, and shares many of its components, both good and bad.

The good:
• Chassis. It is very nice, well made.
• Core drive train (transmission and transfer case). Both of these are well made, and look very scale.
• The body. It is hard to find a truck that looks this good when it is put together. But, it also is on the "Bad" list

The bad:
• Outer drive train. From the wheels to the transfer case is junk. The gears strip, the hexes strip, when wheels do not go together properly. On all rigs the drive shafts broke on the very first pack.
• Suspension. Junk. None of the kits I had could be assembled per the instructions. The holes were not in the right locations, the hardware stripped, and parts just did not line up without modification. The rod-ends are junk, both plastic and metal.
• The body. First, getting it on and off is VERY annoying, having to bolt it on and off. Two out of the three bodies were not right, one was warped and the other just did not fit properly.
• Bumps. They are the same bumpers on the TF2 and CX2, and will break the first run.

If these rigs ran around the $200-250 mark, their issues would be expected, and tolerated. But at $400+ ($500 for the CX2), the long standing issues they have are just unacceptable.

Recommend looking at the Element kit, it is a very good rig for the price, has different options for over/under drive, has an insane amount of steering, and can be made into whatever style of rig you want.
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Agree with RC4WD (never owned a Cross RC).

I have had three TF2s, and they have all been aggravating disappointments. The first time was shortly after the truck came out, so I understand some of the issues. But, wanting a REALLY good looking scale (C1) rig, I bought another, had all of the same issues, a couple of years went by, hoping they'd fix the issues, or any issue, and it turned out to be the same piece of junk. The CX2 is basically a TF2 on steroids, and shares many of its components, both good and bad.

The good:
Chassis. It is very nice, well made.
Core drive train (transmission and transfer case). Both of these are well made, and look very scale.
The body. It is hard to find a truck that looks this good when it is put together. But, it also is on the "Bad" list

The bad:
Outer drive train. From the wheels to the transfer case is junk. The gears strip, the hexes strip, when wheels do not go together properly. On all rigs the drive shafts broke on the very first pack.
Suspension. Junk. None of the kits I had could be assembled per the instructions. The holes were not in the right locations, the hardware stripped, and parts just did not line up without modification. The rod-ends are junk, both plastic and metal.
The body. First, getting it on and off is VERY annoying, having to bolt it on and off. Two out of the three bodies were not right, one was warped and the other just did not fit properly.
Bumps. They are the same bumpers on the TF2 and CX2, and will break the first run.

If these rigs ran around the $200-250 mark, their issues would be expected, and tolerated. But at $400+ ($500 for the CX2), the long standing issues they have are just unacceptable.

Recommend looking at the Element kit, it is a very good rig for the price, has different options for over/under drive, has an insane amount of steering, and can be made into whatever style of rig you want.
That's very handy to know. Was actually just chatting to a guy on Messenger who was selling his TF2, which has only had a few runs. Already a broken drive shaft. So I think at this time, I will skip the RC4WD in my choices. The bodies are nice though.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I built a TRX-4 kit and a TF2 LWB kit. First Cross kit is in the mail so I can't speak to that yet.

I will say my personal experience with RC4WD axles for one build, the TF2 kit and a few other parts were overpriced and very poor quality in terms of fit, machining and functionality.

As already said, if you're looking to compare kit quality or performance of the TRX to a scale oriented platform you're going to be disappointed.
Look forward to hear your opinion on the Cross build. Which model?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpeppers View Post
That's very handy to know. Was actually just chatting to a guy on Messenger who was selling his TF2, which has only had a few runs. Already a broken drive shaft. So I think at this time, I will skip the RC4WD in my choices. The bodies are nice though.
Even the RC4WD aficionados will likely agree that stock driveshafts are good for .5 runs.

Quote:
Look forward to hear your opinion on the Cross build. Which model?
The PG-4L dually. I was looking for something different, hard body and more of an extensive build. I think it'll satisfy those criteria.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Even the RC4WD aficionados will likely agree that stock driveshafts are good for .5 runs.

Yes, that's one must upgrade immediately part. For RC4WD I consider it necessary to enjoy tinkering and making things work.

https://www.crossrc.us/product-categ...litary-trucks/
Cross RC GC-4, GC-4M, HC-4 or HC-6 imo

HumboldtEF built the BC-8.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-23-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Yep stock driveshafts are junk, I've never really had any other issues with these TF2 trucks although I tend to tinker and go over things with a fine tooth comb, I've had four of five of these and still have two Marlins. I do agree that the asking price is a little steep when you have to disassemble and check everything before running it. The hardware sucks, you can usually get by with it if you have good quality tools but even then I'll usually replace all of it over time. One of my first TF2s was the kit version and I did comp with it in class 2 and took 2nd place a few times with it, I don't comp anymore but they can be made capable. Don't be scared of a TF2 just know you'll have to go over it well and correct some things but once you do that they are pretty solid.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments. I must admit I do like the off-roading capability of the TRX 4 compared to some other brands. Also like the 2-speed/lockers. However, it would be nice to have a hardbody rig as well, but since I don't plan on competing, a scale chassis is probably not totally needed. I would like a pickup style body though and have only seen the LC70 being fitted to a TRX 4. Doesn't seem to be much out there to fit. A Cross SG4 Demon style would be neat though, but I'm not sure if it will fit on a TRX chassis. Any suggestions on other bodies will be welcomed.
Look into the SSD Trail King if you want a scale drivetrain. It's very cool. The truck is essentially an upgraded SCX10 II so it will also perform well. It doesn't come with a body, but it would be perfect for a hard body, especially with that scale Chevy small block engine and transmission.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #15

Much appreciated everyone.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #16

I have the c2x and the cross spc4 which is similar to sg4. Like everyone said
any rc4wd needs work out of the box. Changed axles to ssd pro44 , driveshafts ,longer shock hoops and and shocks. Having done all this i do like my c2x and it performs pretty good. The spc4 is a nice build but purely a trail rig. the suspension setup is rather unique and so is the drivetrain. So far it hasn't failed but the gears look like they come out of a watch.
gerrit O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #17

How does the Boom Racing BRX-01 compare to TF2 and Cross RC? Is the quality any better? I'm also like OP looking for a scale hard body rig and the BRX-01 with the LC70 is an option.
Zoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The LC70 is a cool-looking truck. The BRX-01 is on my list of potential chassis when I start my next project on a 313mm wheelbase. My last one was on a 275mm base and I used a Gellande II kit and it turned out to be one of the most solid chassis I've ever built in 30+ years of RC. Almost no play anywhere. Just amazing.

But yeah. Thinking of a BRX-01 myself with either a 4-door XJ body, an RC4WD Blazer so I can build a CUCV, or a Comanche.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote

Cross RC SG4 vs RC4WD C2X - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross demon sg4 bed dimension hillbillyrc Paint and Body 1 06-26-2019 07:11 AM
Cross-rc sg4 demon & rc4wd d90 neilsontf238 Videos! 0 02-26-2018 05:21 PM
Cross-rc sg4 demon neilsontf238 Videos! 0 02-11-2018 02:31 PM