RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Building an Aluminum Gooseneck Trailer (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/617707-building-aluminum-gooseneck-trailer.html)

KenB925 04-27-2020 06:25 PM

Building an Aluminum Gooseneck Trailer

5 Attachment(s)
A couple months ago a couple of buddies and I started playing with crawlers. I got a trx6, then a trx4. One of the other guys is building an awesome crawler playground in his back yard.

I thought it would be pretty cool to see a gooseneck trailer towing a crawler behind the 6x6

So, here it is.

The perimeter is 1” x 1” x 1/8” angle, the cross supports are 1/4” x 1/4” bar. The main frame rails will be 2” x 1/8” flat bar and i’m going to make the hitch out of aluminum round bar and tube.

I’m welding it up with a spool gun, tig would be cleaner, but I don’t have a tig machine...yet...

I’m going to do some standalone lights on it.

It will be able to haul 2 crawlers, or one crawler and some beer.

72square 04-27-2020 06:28 PM

Re: Building an Aluminum Gooseneck Trailer

Looks awesome. Sub'd

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

christ0r 04-28-2020 01:08 AM

I was actually wanting to do the same thing. I'll be keeping a close eye on this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JacktheRipper 04-28-2020 05:09 AM

Good start, looks huge on the saw horses. Not to nick pink so do not take it as a slam. Aluminum good choice, what's used to hold things together?

Look over the hitch, the design seen below helps stability and turning, backing.

https://www.gatormade.com/wp-content...icdovetail.jpg

No matter I'll will be check out the progress as build it, like the idea good one

Pep

JatoTheRipper 04-28-2020 07:12 AM

Welcome to the site! Very cool start to your trailer.

KenB925 04-28-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheRipper (Post 6017749)
Good start, looks huge on the saw horses. Not to nick pink so do not take it as a slam. Aluminum good choice, what's used to hold things together?

Look over the hitch, the design seen below helps stability and turning, backing.

https://www.gatormade.com/wp-content...icdovetail.jpg

No matter I'll will be check out the progress as build it, like the idea good one

Pep

It does look pretty big, but much smaller and I think it would look silly/not to scale, the real ones are huge.

It is fully welded, part of the reason I decided to do this is to weld aluminum again (it has been about 15 years since I have done any aluminum welding).

Thanks for the link, I have been looking at 'real' gooseneck trailers, and I'm going to pretty much copy the real hitch set up.

KenB925 04-28-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6017772)
Welcome to the site! Very cool start to your trailer.

Thanks!

KenB925 05-01-2020 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made a bit of progress tonight. I got the frame rails fitted and welded in. I made templates out of cardboard, then cut them out of aluminum.

I clamped it back into the jig, i used a piece of 4” channel to set the spacing between the rails and keep everything straight.

JacktheRipper 05-02-2020 07:03 PM

Looking good, coming along nicely.

Pep

Lashlee 05-03-2020 06:25 AM

Great looking trailer. I want to do something similar. What is your plan for axles?

KenB925 05-03-2020 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lashlee (Post 6019257)
Great looking trailer. I want to do something similar. What is your plan for axles?

Thanks!

I found these on amazon, then added some wheel spacers to get where i needed to be.

KenB925 05-03-2020 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A bit more progress. I got the ride height figured out, assembles the axles with wheel spacers, did more welding and ran out of battery in the grinder and patience to dress my welds.

I made a hitch ball out of some round aluminum bar.

I had to order some bolts for the axles, home depot didn’t have any small enough.

Lashlee 05-04-2020 08:35 AM

Awesome, that the same axles I've looked at before. I'll definitely be following your lead later on. Keep up the good work!

KenB925 05-04-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lashlee (Post 6019487)
Awesome, that the same axles I've looked at before. I'll definitely be following your lead later on. Keep up the good work!

They are very nice quality pieces, a little narrow, but the wheel spacers work perfectly with them.

The bolts/machine screws they need are small, #4 (if you are shopping).

I should be able to have it functioning this weekend.

Trailmonster 05-04-2020 12:30 PM

I thought it looked big in the first few pics. Once I saw the trucks on it and the axles under it I think it looks fantastic! Very true to life appearance. I’ll be watching to see the finished product. I’m also impressed with your progress, I have a hard time getting enough hands on to get through a project like that as quick as I would like.

KenB925 05-17-2020 04:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I had a couple of delays waiting for fasteners, mother’s day, my anniversary, and an injured kid. Now, back to the important stuff!

I got fully functionally assembled, I made the hitch and took it for a test drive.

I may need some denser foam in the trailer tires (not really a surprise), other then that it couldn’t have worked much better.

JimInMiami 05-17-2020 05:21 PM

Awesome, bloody well done!

KenB925 05-18-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimInMiami (Post 6023190)
Awesome, bloody well done!

Thanks!

Deck, lights, and making it pretty are all thats left.

The only modification to the TRX6 is one hole in the bed, and one hole in the body mount to through bolt back of the hitch plate. The two front screws went into factory holes.

KenB925 03-03-2021 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after losing interest for a little while I finally put a deck on the trailer. I was going to do wood, but this plastic will be better. I ended up heating it a forming it instead of cutting.

Levi 03-03-2021 11:46 AM

Looks awesome. Always nice to make something if you can. Now you just need some yeti jr's or something on it lol.