Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for some recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking for some recommendations

I'm looking for some ideas for my next off-road car/truck. There's nothing out of the question except "comp" crawlers (there in lies my trouble). I'm kind of partial to something with hybrid suspension like the Element Trail Runner or something with leaf springs like the CRC HC6 or a TF2, but there is no deal breakers. Any recommendations for a great value $300-$700 range? Any underdogs outside of the big names?

Unrelated to the truck search, does anybody know of any good, preferably licenced, 1.55 ID X 3" OD tires?

I already have a TRX 4 and a TRX 6, not looking for more of those...yet.

Last edited by smc-93; 07-01-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Missing information
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

Default Re: Looking for some recommendations

Sounds like the Element would fit your desires perfectly.

These tires match the size you're looking for, but they have an old and not good compound.

https://store.rc4wd.com/Dirt-Grabber...res_p_658.html
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Element is a great truck, most of us who own one really enjoy it and a lot of people like the IFS (not a fan of how it looks myself). Like every other truck out there, there are little quarks that are unique to the rig, but nothing overly annoying.

If you want super scale, at super scale prices, with the lowest possible performance and quality, get a TF2.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-01-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

JatoTheRipper
I've got some knock off dirt grabbers. Despite being the perfect size, I can tell the compound sucks. I imagine the branded RC4WD tire is the same just with a name on the tire. The tires are for a off-road converted 4-tec with a modified Kyosho Chevelle body. Trying a retro Baja/gambler look. So I'm trying to find something that will be alright on dirt and asphalt, with me having to cut more of the front wheel well out for steering.

Great Scott
Does the TF2 have a low build quality? I always thought they were made pretty well. Although I've never actually handled one. I'm definitely not a fan of the "super scale price" as you said.

Sound like the Trail Runner might take the cake. Every video review I've seen says it comes with the parts needed to convert to straight axle if I desire.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Great Scott
Does the TF2 have a low build quality? I always thought they were made pretty well. Although I've never actually handled one. I'm definitely not a fan of the "super scale price" as you said.
The body, the core drive train (transmission and transfer case), and the chassis are very nice. The axles, steering, drive shafts, shocks, links, and anything not in the first sentence are junk. To get it to perform that any other company's low-end RTR you have to dump an additional $400-600 into it.

I REALLY wanted to like the TF2, so much so that I have bought three over them over a several year span. On the 2nd and 3rd TF2s I had heard they had made improvements to the truck, but nothing that was changed made effected anything that mattered.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I purchased a TF2 and I have regretted that decision ever since. The engineering is terrible and parts are soft resulting in a lot of stripped screws. The TF2 has become nothing more than a shelf queen.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the input, looks like the TF2 is out of the question. Any body have any experience with the Cross RC HC6?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have had one for a few years now and it's been good for me. I don't crawl on rocks with it, but it does get long trail runs. I put telemetry on it for distance and I want to say around 90-100 miles I needed to replace my middle axles gears, the front and back where fine.

My build thread on it
Cross-rc Hc6
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have a TRX4, SCX10, Wraith and an Enduro. Also a comp crawler and an MOA which doesn't sound like something you would be interested.

I would recommend looking at a Wraith or Capra, a TRX4 or an Axial SCX 10 (or other SCX). I am not a fan of the Enduro.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Thanks for all the input, looks like the TF2 is out of the question. Any body have any experience with the Cross RC HC6?
Given you already have two solid coil&links trucks with portals... I'm gonna throw the idea of a leaf sprung Sawback at you. Maybe just the kit so you can put Trx electronics in. It has similar dimensions to the TF2, cost half as much, and leafs will give you a different driving experience.

However, my dream rig is a rc4wd hardbody on a gmade sawback chassis, with trx electronics, so I'm biased.
Dogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

How about something TOTALLY different??
You said IFS or leafs. How about BOTH?
I can't speak on quality but tjere was a truck rebranded for rc4wd called the desert runner. Some company model... Something? Calls it the hero. Its a hardbody raptor with IFS amd rear leafs.
Very much light trail not much crawlability, but thought it was worth mentioning since it seems you are in the mood for something a little unorthodox.
Rc modelex? I think that was the original source.
**JD Models. Thats it.
Anyway I havent looked recently but RTR was around 500 and ARTR was about 400.

Last edited by Shinchu; 07-25-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for some recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for recommendations BashNSlash Micro Scale Rigs 2 01-02-2019 09:14 AM
Need Recommendations 864runner Axial Wraith 10 05-05-2016 07:36 PM
Recommendations NCSDRacing Newbie General 7 01-17-2012 11:02 PM
Recommendations sabohead Electronics 5 12-19-2010 03:31 PM