Default Re: New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

I'm in. Ordering today.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Default New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

Watched Josh run on 4s..... Impressive for a RTR.
I’ve spent far more on my 1/8 Slash based 4x4 buggy, with me having no scale looks . Chassis is quite nice with the alloy towers tied together, and hinged for access, Well Done!
Interesting take for the rear sway bar.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../LOS03028.html

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 08-06-2020 at 01:15 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

NOICE....compared to a wendigo...no comparison at all!
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

I will be buying the black one. Great job Losi!!
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post

Trail truck vs Race rig, you’re correct NO comparison!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Lol, no you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:48 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Trail truck vs Race rig, you’re correct NO comparison!
e
????? What??
Old 08-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

This was built to pull people in from the crawler community.

Now just to decide if i want this or the 1/8 Kyosho Foxx 2.0 VE.....really hard choice, but the foxx looks like a lot of fun. https://www.amazon.com/Kyosho-FO-XX-.../dp/B07RBFK556

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 08-07-2020 at 08:16 AM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
This was built to pull people in from the crawler community.

Now just to decide if i want this or the 1/8 Kyosho Foxx 2.0 VE.....really hard choice, but the foxx looks like a lot of fun. https://www.amazon.com/Kyosho-FO-XX-.../dp/B07RBFK556

What do people think about the Lasernut vs the Axial Bomber 2.0? Realize suspension is different but both are marketed as rock racers from Horizon Hobby released within a few months of one another? Seems the Lasernut is much faster with brushless, but price is pretty close. Feels to me the Lasernut is better value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
What do people think about the Lasernut vs the Axial Bomber 2.0? Realize suspension is different but both are marketed as rock racers from Horizon Hobby released within a few months of one another? Seems the Lasernut is much faster with brushless, but price is pretty close. Feels to me the Lasernut is better value.
They are both rock racers but one is much more rock and the other much more racer.

The Lasernut will be faster, handle better, jump better, and be more durable than the Bomber as it is based on a modified 1/8 buggy platform. The Bomber will be an infinitely better crawler than the Lasernut with solid axle and locked diffs.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
They are both rock racers but one is much more rock and the other much more racer.

The Lasernut will be faster, handle better, jump better, and be more durable than the Bomber as it is based on a modified 1/8 buggy platform. The Bomber will be an infinitely better crawler than the Lasernut with solid axle and locked diffs.
Thanks, super helpful. I realize the shades of grey here are challenging as some of these segments don't have clear delineation.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I got a chance to spend a significant amount of time driving the Lasernut car today and this thing is a hell of a lot of fun.

The good:

-It looks awesome
-It is incredibly durable. I spent about 30 minutes just launching off jumps at a BMX track. Several dozen 15-20 foot jumps with plenty of bad landings and the truck is perfectly fine. All that abuse and the only casualty was the fake winch popping off.
-It rips on 4S and now I can’t imagine ever wanting to drive it on anything less without swapping to a higher KV motor.
-It jumps waaaaay better than you would ever expect out of something that looks like a real U4 buggy. Definitely blows away the Bomber and Yeti in this area.
-All those cool lights and scale details stayed attached through the whole beating.

The bad:

-The servo saver is set way too loose out of the box. Like so loose the steering doesn’t work. We had to tighten up the servo saver several turns in order to get something that could be considered acceptable steering. The servo may be underpowered as well but the servo saver is the bigger problem.
-The spare tire hangs way off the back. This may or may not be a problem depending on how you drive it. The spare was a non-factor in jumping and bashing but U4 rock sections may be more problematic.

In conclusion, if you like fast cars that you can beat the crap out of while still looking cool and realistic then buy a Lasernut buggy right away. Just be sure to tighten the servo saver and pick up some 4S packs before running it.

Last edited by svt923; 08-09-2020 at 05:40 PM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Good input here svt923!

I am the first on the list of my local hobby store and can't wait to get my hands on one - afterall, West Texas is more of a flat out basher area anyways - LOL Most fields look like Baja and not like Rubicon here...
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I got a chance to spend a significant amount of time driving the Lasernut car today and this thing is a hell of a lot of fun. ....
Noice exactly what I wanted to hear
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #55

I'm super excited about this. A long travel front and rear independent suspension desert buggy, Finally! The Yeti, RR, X4 etc. all suffer from terrible handling due to the solid axle, torque twist and too much unsprung weight. This thing will be a blast where I live in western CO. Big tires and long travel! Harley's video shows just how well this thing handles open, chunky terrain.

Looks like the chassis is narrower than the Tenacity DB as well and has "boat sides". Should set the bar for desert bashers.

Cody Waggoner was apparently driving this in 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdn89ZCbkXM
Interesting that Axial didn't make it first.
mtnwheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Looks a lot like my Ten SCBE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Default New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwheeling View Post
I'm super excited about this. A long travel front and rear independent suspension desert buggy, Finally! The Yeti, RR, X4 etc. all suffer from terrible handling due to the solid axle, torque twist and too much unsprung weight. This thing will be a blast where I live in western CO. Big tires and long travel! Harley's video shows just how well this thing handles open, chunky terrain.

Looks like the chassis is narrower than the Tenacity DB as well and has "boat sides". Should set the bar for desert bashers.

Interesting that Axial didn't make it first.

Agreed. Ive never been all that impressed with my Rock rey. Its not good at crawling or bashing. Its in this RC Limbo.

Ive thought about selling it but put a bunch of time into it and can quite do it.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Looks a lot like my Ten SCBE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I lived the looks of those. By the time I was ready to buy they had been discontinued. The DB pro is basically an upgraded version of it, but I didn't know about that until the lasernut teaser.

I spoke with a small shop and they said the ETA for them is August 27. I hope it's a little earlier than that. Got a beach trip planned and it would be fun to have for that.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:58 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I lived the looks of those. By the time I was ready to buy they had been discontinued. The DB pro is basically an upgraded version of it, but I didn't know about that until the lasernut teaser.

I spoke with a small shop and they said the ETA for them is August 27. I hope it's a little earlier than that. Got a beach trip planned and it would be fun to have for that.
I've been trying to justify getting a Tenacity DB pro based on the upgrades but I think the Lasernut just did it for me. Looking at my Baja Rey sitting beside my SCBE and knowing the larger size of the Lasernut I think it is going to be about the same wheelbase and width as a Baja Rey. I think I need one, lol.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #60
RCC Addict

When the Baja Rey came out I had to have one, but I knew the SCBE would handle better, bought the BR anyway. I don't regret that at all, but I still feel like a bigger tire'd, 4x4, ifs/irs, caged buggy would be a better all 'rounder. I could see 3 or 4 different sets of wheels on the Lasernut (or SCBE, or Tenacity DB pro) making it fun just about anywhere, big tires for general bashing, sct or 1/8 buggy tires for our informal local tracks, gotta have a set of paddles for the dunes, and maybe road tires for culdesac/parking lot hooning or even the run what ya brung class for drag racing if you're not too serious.

I've been contemplating a new rc for awhile now and keep going back and forth between a decent race car (4x4 sct or 1/8 buggy) or a 1/8 basher. I haven't been to a track in at least a year. I only get my 1/5 scale out like 4 times a year since it needs room to run, and I worry that a 1/8 monster truck would be nearly as bad in that respect (coupled with the fact that either is too heavy for me to lift so I need help to run them.) The reality is that something like the lasernut would probably have huge overlap with the other categories mentioned and would end up getting used more. Jack of all trades, master of none doesn't sound so bad when you're (Lasernut) decent at those trades.

Food for thought (for me anyway.)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote