Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

This is probably the most abused Lasernut U4 outside of Horizon's hands and I continue to be impressed by it.

More time was spent yesterday launching it off our big ramp (which is about 4ft tall) on 4S. I was able to pull off the possibly first and definitely scale Lasernut backflip which was impressive since these things don't like to rotate in the air. More flying, more crashes and the Lasernut is still perfectly fine and 100% in tact. Using the same ramp, we broke front arms on both an Arrma Outcast and Notorious from bad landings so the abuse was real.

There is video of these exploits, hopefully I will have it soon because it is hard to convey in words how fun this car is to drive.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #62
Slow is the new Fast

This one is definitely at the top of my most wanted list. It looks like a boat load of fun
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Horizon just charged my card for my preorder. I look forward to getting my hands on this thing.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these. I already have a Rock Rey so it's had to justify another U4 type rig, especially since I don't race. I just love that style vehicle more than other types.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Not sure if i should get this or the new Traxxas Maxx. Like the looks of this better but....kind of despise a metal chassis for a basher as they always seems to get tweaked and changing them out a a PITA
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Been keeping my eye on these, one of the local guys has one on the way he plans to U4 with, can't wait to see it in person.
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
I'm seriously tempted to get one of these. I already have a Rock Rey so it's had to justify another U4 type rig, especially since I don't race. I just love that style vehicle more than other types.
The Lasernut only looks like a U4 rig, it is much more of a basher like a short course truck or 1/8 buggy. The low CG and tall tires kind of make it a happy medium between a SC truck and a monster truck. It will be a completely different driving experience from the Rock Rey.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure what kind of math Losi is using, but it definitely isn't the same as the "1/10th" they used on the Baja Rey.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Has anybody pictures comparing Lasernut vs. RR10?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCrawl View Post
Has anybody pictures comparing Lasernut vs. RR10?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
Seems to be a lot closer:

Old 09-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

I got mine last night and just took it out for its first run. What a blast that was. I have only ever been into rock crawlers, so this much speed has been eye opening. I will say that I was taken aback by the battery usage. My 5000mah 3S battery lasted right at 30 minutes. By comparison, I ran my Capra for an hour and a half this morning on a 1500mah pack. I didn't expect to run all afternoon at these speeds, but I had hoped to get an hour out of that battery. Oh well, I guess it's time to order another battery or 2.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I got mine last night and just took it out for its first run. What a blast that was. I have only ever been into rock crawlers, so this much speed has been eye opening. I will say that I was taken aback by the battery usage. My 5000mah 3S battery lasted right at 30 minutes. By comparison, I ran my Capra for an hour and a half this morning on a 1500mah pack. I didn't expect to run all afternoon at these speeds, but I had hoped to get an hour out of that battery. Oh well, I guess it's time to order another battery or 2.
Get a 4S battery and it will last even longer. I will be running mine on my 2 4S 5000 mAH batteries that I normally use for my UDR.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a Yeti Bomber Hybrid, they fixed the track width of the Bomber and kept IFS, I like it!

Be interesting to see how long it takes for aftermarket companies to start pumping out parts
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Heck of a nice looking machine - I'd be tempted to use some of those new Pro-Line Lid Skid Body Protectors, at least on the roof.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
Looks like a Yeti Bomber Hybrid, they fixed the track width of the Bomber and kept IFS, I like it!

Be interesting to see how long it takes for aftermarket companies to start pumping out parts
So comparing it to my TEN SCBE the front and rear A-arms are the exact same. The shock towers are from the Tenacity DB pro. That means there should be some parts out there that already fit. Also the track width is wider than the bomber only because of wheel offset. I tried the 2.2 SSD wheels I have on my bomber and they fit but it was a bit tight. I have a feeling the Rock Rey wheels will fit and anything with that offset should work. I was also going to try the Axial Method 2.2/3.0 wheels off my SCBE and see where they fall width wise.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

So the tires are 2.2/3.0?

Excellent news, I could get a set and mount them on the 17mm hub replacement wheels for my Associated DB8 Nomad and get some additional ground clearance!

That's one of the better things they did with this Losi... it's not a belly-dragger like a lot of R/C vehicles that are basically 1/8th buggy or Short Course truck conversions.

Confusingly, the search for Losi Lasernut U4 tires led me to this AMain hobbies listing - Losi Lasernut U4 Desert Claws Tires (Soft) (2)...

They SHOULD be BF Goodrich KM3s - not Desert Claws.

Huh.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-la...s43011/p501296

Suppose I'll wait until more spare parts become available.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

They are way bigger than the desert claws. They are even taller than my UDR’s. They measured out to about 5.8ish inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

That's good to hear - the General Grabbers that are the stock Nomad tire are 5.25"...
Old 09-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Took this thing out in the yard for bit of a shakedown run and it is pretty sweet. I did have to tighten the servo saver a bit as it was way too loose and was hindering steering. Once I got that done it was really awesome. One thing I did notice is the rear is very lightly damped. I can only assume this is to make it move more like the real thing and flex when on the rocks. Not many rocks around here but the few I did go over it flexed pretty well. If you are going to be on rocks a lot I feel like the center diff needs to be locked or something because if you don't carry some momentum in the rocks it gets stuck on the large belly plate and will only spin 1 tire.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
This is probably the most abused Lasernut U4 outside of Horizon's hands and I continue to be impressed by it.

More time was spent yesterday launching it off our big ramp (which is about 4ft tall) on 4S. I was able to pull off the possibly first and definitely scale Lasernut backflip which was impressive since these things don't like to rotate in the air. More flying, more crashes and the Lasernut is still perfectly fine and 100% in tact. Using the same ramp, we broke front arms on both an Arrma Outcast and Notorious from bad landings so the abuse was real.

There is video of these exploits, hopefully I will have it soon because it is hard to convey in words how fun this car is to drive.

You SHUSH....

I have a bathroom I have to remodel. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote