Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

saw this on a FB group, but haven't heard much about it. looks like a pretty rad alternative to a desert/SC truck:
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Losi Lasernut U4 RTR?

First, that looks like nothing more than a body with a custom paint job, mounted onto a Rock Rey chassis & cage. Not saying that's what it "is"...only what it looks like. And, in reading what little print there is, that appears to be confirmed, as it's loosely-based on the TEN platform...a Losi TEN in buggy "clothing".

Still cool-looking, though.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like that....looks like a modded out TEN chassis with a much cooler looking body.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks more like a Tenacity DB with different shock towers, 2.2 wheels with oversized tires and an updated cage.

tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First, that looks like nothing more than a body with a custom paint job, mounted onto a Rock Rey chassis & cage. Not saying that's what it "is"...only what it looks like. And, in reading what little print there is, that appears to be confirmed, as it's loosely-based on the TEN platform...a Losi TEN in buggy "clothing".

Still cool-looking, though.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
+1
Rinanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Harley just had this in the scale news update, though I dont think he showed anything beyond just the chassis and being Tenacity based.

https://youtu.be/K98Axs7iuac?t=365

HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #7

It's a great looking rig, but it's just a buggy underneath. The blue body and gold wheels are hot. I am surprised to see it though just because 2.2 and U4 seems to have died off.

I don't know anything about the Tenacity, is it a durable chassis? If so this could be a fun basher.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I guess the tire size choice is just a way to prevent the use/design of portals ... but looks scale enough to me

tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know anything about the Tenacity, is it a durable chassis? If so this could be a fun basher.
From what I can tell, the Tenacity is a modified version of the Losi SCTE platform which had tank-like durability. I saw some guy repeated launch one off the 6ft ramp at USTE at 30-40mph and it survived.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

I saw some posts about this on FB. Most of the comments were something like "WTH is a Lasernut? They could have come up with a better name!"

Sometimes licensing isn't worth the effort or the increased cost. I'd say this may be one of those cases since Lasernut isn't exactly a household name and lots of people seemed confused by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
From what I can tell, the Tenacity is a modified version of the Losi SCTE platform which had tank-like durability. I saw some guy repeated launch one off the 6ft ramp at USTE at 30-40mph and it survived.
Yeah the SCTE was a tank! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I saw some posts about this on FB. Most of the comments were something like "WTH is a Lasernut? They could have come up with a better name!"
Sometimes licensing isn't worth the effort or the increased cost. I'd say this may be one of those cases since Lasernut isn't exactly a household name and lots of people seemed confused by it.
THat's what I thought too. And then, look at the detail: The original was sponsored by Axial, but Losi releases it - wonder if that scale sticker is on theirs too...

Name:  Lasernut-Racing-koh-2017-16-1.jpg
Views: 7229
Size:  108.6 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
THat's what I thought too. And then, look at the detail: The original was sponsored by Axial, but Losi releases it - wonder if that scale sticker is on theirs too...
Very interesting. Good find. Now that Horizon owns Axial and Losi they could put either sticker on that truck I guess.

Now that I think about it, this Lasernut RC has been rumored for a little while now, but everybody thought/hoped it was going to have a scale tube chassis. Or maybe I'm confusing this with the Capra now that people thought would be a Lasernut rig. Somebody with a better memory than mine will probably remember.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-15-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It looks like it might be a fun rig to bash. I'd like to see Tekno get into the U4RC game since so many do DB48 conversions already.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
It looks like it might be a fun rig to bash. I'd like to see Tekno get into the U4RC game since so many do DB48 conversions already.
That would be cool. I've never owned a Tekno, but I hear they are beasts.

Is U4 or rock racing still popular out your way? It doesn't seem like it ever picked up ground around these parts.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #15

I think it looks really good the Losi SCTE is a great chassis , I have a Tekno MT410 it’s awesome.
DatsunDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

While I love the looks of U4 rigs, they are fairly useless to me. If you have a really scale detailed U4 rig, you won't ever bash it and run it hard over rocks - so it goes straight on the shelf.
If you do go fast with one of those, it either breaks (expensively) or doesn't look real at all.... kinda like a 1:1 hypercar in the US. Proud owners, that can't really experience the full potential ever - LOL

I want to see how this looks in motion - slow over rocks and fast through desert flats....
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I can confirm tekno's reputation. I own 2 mt410s and was out last weekend with an inexperienced driver friend. He hit a railroad tie at 35-40 mph, moved the tie about a foot. Only damage was 1 of the plastic shock caps blew off. That was definitely the hardest hit any of my trucks has taken.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

And yes, a tekno version of this would be sweet.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I like it. I like my Rock Rey too. I'm also glad to see a major brand staying in the genre of trail/crawler technical off roading. Hopefully their bigger budgets allow for greater and greater designs and engineering. I'm a fan of the 2.2 wheels. It offers a variety to my 1.9 crawlers.
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:

I have to despair somewhat for society when people take longer to to post that question ^, than it would have done to type "LaserNut" into either a FB or Google search & find out.

I've no idea about what under it, but I'll probably add one to my collection of other rigs I don't have time to drive
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote