Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How to get shocks like this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to get shocks like this?

Does anybody know what weight oil I should use to get shocks like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iiFk8qR8D0

I know most large scale trophy trucks use 60wt oil, but what wt should I use for quick-moving shocks on an SCX10ii based Prerunner car? I'm running 110mm RC4WD kings shocks dual-mounted with unsprung 110mm kings shocks, so I have 4 shocks in the rear and 2 shocks up front. I was thinking of using a very light oil like 10wt, but I'm not a shock expert and don't really know, and also, I'm not sure about how having dual shocks affect compression.

Help would be appreciated.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to get shocks like this?

Discribtion of the shocks is in the video...front Proline 35wt rear HPI 35wt
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

With duals in the rear, think two are one, reduce oil thickness vs single.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Not sure if it is "just" the shock oil. CyconXC's trucks behave like this because they are all metal and very heavy in the first place. Makes the truck move much slower than e.g. a Yeti Score.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Since you obviously have a non-stock shock arrangement you are kinda exploring custom ground and as such you will need to do some testing of different weight oil and different spring rates to see what works best for your truck, terrain and driving style. As for the comparison in the video the Jeep is a solid front axle where the trophy truck is IFS. That alone will go a long way to making that work. I suspect a dual shock setup will be a hinderance rather than a help in trying tune your SCX10ii.

Last edited by Inspector86; 07-30-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Discribtion of the shocks is in the video...front Proline 35wt rear HPI 35wt
Yeah, but the problem is my truck is going to be a lot lighter, so I'm not sure. I guess I'll go with 10 or 15 at for now and see.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Dont just think about shock oil, the spring rates will also play a huge role.

I would recommend buying a range of oil and springs to test.

Oh and the pistons in the shocks also play a big role, I think pistons in crawler applications wont typically be able to react as quickly as race oriented shocks.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-29-2020 at 06:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Cycon's truck weighs 13 lbs, and in the environment you see in his videos will eat a Yeti for lunch. It's easier to dial the shocks on a heavy desert rig compared to a light one. Super light oil doesn't have much dampening value in a traditional piston shock build on a heavy truck. My go fast buggy (way long travel) runs 30 wt up front with 3 hole pistons, rear is 25 wt with 3 hole pistons with a bypass flap, only 1 hole on compression, 3 for rebound. 9.5 lb car. Eats BIG whoops all day long, mid 30s mph. (Same shock tune on my Bomber as well) My .02 says to find springs that give you the desired ride height, not too soft or stiff. Softer is better (not a pogo stick), oil will help overcome that. Not sure what you will cycle for wheel travel, that will play a big part in how subtle you get in combination with your intended top speed. Most importantly, find yourself an unchanging whoop section that you can run over and over, for days/weeks on end. VIDEO each pass, document EVERY change and its effect. Watch in slo mo, for what you "see" and what is are most likely two different things. They do this in 1:1, where at times you will be instructed to hit a section faster and the car will work better. Go figure.... .03 says the rear packs on what you think appears to be nearly correct. Bypass pistons solve that. Got pics of your truck?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'll see if I can get some photos in, Its just a 10.2 with an element ifs kit, dual rear shocks, and somewhat of a heavy body and attachments.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default How to get shocks like this?

Alright so i was waiting for some paint to dry and did some testing, with another car. My 10.2 is in about a hundred different pieces from building right now. I tried some 30wt oil in all shocks on my TRX4 shocks, apparently 30 wt absorbs jumps pretty well, but still is on the harder side when it comes to small
Bumps. 20 wt is where I think I want to be at after testing, but the problem is that I’m using dual shocks on my 10.2, so I’m not sure wether to put 10Wt in both or something else. Might have to start a new thread for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk