Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shock Reccomendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Double shock tuning?

I'm making a build with 2 shocks on each side in the rear.
What's the shock oil conversion rate? Like it is around double?
Sorry if it's a bit confusing, I can't find the correct wording.

So if I want to have 2 shocks perform like 1 20 wt shock, would I use 10wt or something else. I've done a bit of testing, 2 shocks definitely have more resistance, but doesn't feel like twice the resistance.

Does anybody know what WT oil I should use?
Thanks.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Double shock tuning?

It's trial and error for the most part. There are a lot of factors involved, internal friction in the added shock, where the second shock is mounted relative to the other shock, to name a few. From my experience, start with a lighter weight oil in the second shock or even none at all and see where it stands there. My bomber has dual shocks on all 4 corners and the bypass shocks have no oil in them at all. The internal friction combined with I think 10wt in the primaries was enough for what I was looking for.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

When I dabbled with dual rear shocks on my Yeti/Raptor the experts told me to run half the weight I would run for a single shock. That said and done , I eventually went back to a single shock setup, much easier to tune and half the maintenance, no real advantage except for looks, the duals looked killer on the trailing arm with the Currie sway bar.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
When I dabbled with dual rear shocks on my Yeti/Raptor the experts told me to run half the weight I would run for a single shock. That said and done , I eventually went back to a single shock setup, much easier to tune and half the maintenance, no real advantage except for looks, the duals looked killer on the trailing arm with the Currie sway bar.

Hang up and Drive
I am somewhat thinking of running an empty shock......It is more of a look thing than a performance thing. Maybe I'll pick up some cheap shocks off of amazon .
Old 09-06-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Extended shock mounts?

Anybody know of some good extended shock mounts for the rear? I'm going to mount 110mm shocks, and I've heard that IERC mounts and keys make a good combo, but they're a bit expensive.

Reccomendations?
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:46 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock tuning for handling "whoops"?

Any tips on shock tuning for handling whoops on a crawler (Scx10ii to be specific)?

Yes I know, wrong chassis, wrong type of car, wrong everything, but it's a custom build.

I've got IFS installed with 110mm shocks on the rear for long travel, if soft springs are added, full droop leaves it pretty low.
I'm looking to get something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGrAjl-e7k (3:36)

I know this is the wrong type of car to be asking for this type of performance, but....the yeti just dosen't retain that slight bit of crawlability when needed (and it dosent scale well). I'm building a cross bewtween a trophy truck and a crawler, so somewhat like a prerunner.

Without crawling in consideration, what shock oil should I use. I'm stuck between going with a pretty low oil weight (20wt) and a a high oil weight (40-50 wt)

What i'm thinking is
Low weight: quick shock rebound and damping rate, good for absorbing frequent bumps without bouncing everywhere, but I'm not sure about this type of logic.

High weight: short course trucks tend to use this more, but the rebound time worries me because it migh just end up being a pretty hard shock.

I've heard 30wt in front and 10-20 wt in rear +some spring tuning for the yeti, is it worth trying it in a 10.2?, mainly worried about weight differences.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shock tuning for handling "whoops"?

Well I cant help you too much since my prerunner 10.2 isn't done yet but here are considerations straight from my slight knowledge 1:1 TTs and prerunners.
-Get the weight moved back, shoot for at least 50/50 weight bias. Then go up on spring rate to compensate (not the same as preload). If the springs are too soft itll just be dead and not do anything.
-From ride height, how much up travel does it have?

The whole point of suspension like this is to keep those back tires on the ground as much as possible
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The shocks have to move fast, that means either giant holes in the pistons or thin oil. I run no oil in my TRX-4 shocks to get lots of movement for a more realistic ride. Typically, crawler shocks don’t have nearly the travel to do what a trophy truck can do.

Also, a prerunner is not a cross between a crawler and trophy truck. That would be a U4 rig. A prerunner is a truck you use to “prerun” a race course that is going to be run by a desert racer.

Last edited by JDM74; 09-13-2020 at 05:09 AM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You'd really need something like the mip pistons so you can run different dampening for rebound and compression. Rebound needs to be pretty fast without taking away all your compression dampening. Same concept as running 1:1 shocks. You just can't do that with an oil weight and a fixed piston.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
You'd really need something like the mip pistons so you can run different dampening for rebound and compression. Rebound needs to be pretty fast without taking away all your compression dampening. Same concept as running 1:1 shocks. You just can't do that with an oil weight and a fixed piston.
Spot on for rc. Use spring rate to set your ride height, push on your rig to settle them (set mid stroke of the shock's travel). Start with 25 or 30 wt. You want max rebound speed. By having the correct springs, it won't buck or pogo stick. Just know the pre-running speed in the whoops relates to wheel travel. It might be easy to outrun what your suspension is capable of because of that. Get your weight bias to 60/40, r/f bias, it will jump flat that way instead of being a lawn dart. Hang spares off the back full of lead if need be to get the bias right. Then go shoot video at 15-20 mph like Cycon's stuff.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Alright, thanks for all the help.

I'm going with RC4wd RRD shocks in the rrd spring tuning set. I've planned to mout a proline cage in the back, and 2 4.19 tires, should be plenty of weight.

Only thing is, I'm not so sure about the oil, thin or thick? I'm thinking 25 front 15-20 rear? I saw a review on amain for the RC4wd King shocks, someone said they like to run on diff oil.....
The king and rrd shocks are pretty much the same thing, different shells
So that just left me confused.
I'm tempted to just but a huge set of shock oil, but that's a bit too pricey, so I need to narrow down the possible shock weights Im thinking of 10, 15, 20 and 30, suggestions of what wt oils I shoudl try are appreciated.

But that review of the shock as got me confused, either their someone who likes their shocks damn stiff or the pistona are just nonexistant. Might have to start a new forum on that.

TLDR, what shock weights should I experiment with? I'm looking to have to get 5 oils at most, because of budget issues.

Thanks!\!
Old 09-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD RRD/King shocks questions

Sorry for the sheer number of posts I've made lately, I have a lot of questions.

So some questions about the RC4WD RRD/King shocks (pretty sure their the same thing, just different anodizing and slightly different outer design)

1. I've found some reviews that say that the coating on the shafts rub off after prolonged use, that leaves me a bit worried because they are going on a high speed prerunner build, is this true? or did they just shocks that were made on a friday?

2. Another review said that they like diff oil
Is this true? or are the pistons pretty similar to standard ones?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD RRD/King shocks questions

With no first hand experience take this for what it’s worth, others here have told me that rc4wd king replicas are cheap Chinese junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD RRD/King shocks questions

Amazon/ebay special level quality chinesium on their best day. They leak oil out almost as fast as you fill them, the chrome will flake off the shafts and the spring sliders will bind on the shock bodies. Other than those non advertised features they at least look good if you install them with no oil and leave them on a shelf queen.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Rc4wd stuff isnt worth the money..sorry. I learned that the hard way! Just get some prolines ��
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wait the the RC4WD branded shocks are trash? Or are the Amazon knockoffs trash?

Sorry if it was confusing, RRD shocks are still RC4WD branded, just a different real world brand, (King and RRD)

I was asking about the shocks made by RC4WD
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looking at the other replies from posts, I've decided against using RC4WD shocks. I'm thinking of the Proline Powerstroke front shocks, which is about 102mm in height.

Is that enough travel for the rear shocks? I was going to use a aftermarket shock plate so the shock could be mounted higher up, If I use stock mounts, this should be fine right?

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 09-14-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I did some more research, turns out the shocks do like diff oil. Is there a way to change shocks pistons?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Is there a way to change shocks pistons?
Easy way, buy better shocks. Between my brother and I we won a full set of RC4WD bilsteins from a raffle. They're still in the packaging, the only thing either of us have used are the stickers..
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

You can definitely make the Kings better by swapping the o-rings for x-rings to minimize the leakage. I have a set of Kings with 3d printed sleeves to make them look like triple bypasses, mounted on my only shelf queen. Even after getting the leaking under control, they're still not the smoothest thing out there. They no doubt look great, but would be very low on my list if performance was the goal. For that (and assuming you want to stay with a 1/10 scale shock), Traxxas Big Bores top the list, closely followed by the better looking Proline Powerstrokes. Maybe run a Powerstroke as your primary coil over (and let it carry all the damping load) and run the king with faux bypass sleeves and faux reservoir as your secondary shock to complete the look?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock Reccomendations? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3s lipo motor reccomendations Yuendawg Axial Yeti 7 08-24-2016 09:13 PM
need reccomendations on a few things wttwoa Electronics 0 11-15-2009 07:53 PM
tranny reccomendations? savtraxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 11-06-2009 10:23 PM
TX reccomendations sp4mike Newbie General 6 04-25-2008 04:28 PM