Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Best straight axle crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #1

Default Best straight axle crawler?

I have an itch again for something new in my crawler collection!

Currently have a TRX4 Sport bronco and the TRX6.

Previously had a couple RTR SCX10, SCX10 II, couple of kit enduros.

I always end up selling them after a few weeks as the TRX4 to me seems hard to beat as a platform.

So I'm thinking if I get a 1.5 or 1.9 rig to do a scale trail truck with small wheels and tyres and dabble into hard bodies and try that part of the hobby but my worry is I may get frustrated with the lack of ability and it end up looking pretty on the shelf and the TRX4 getting used more as it's kinda a jack of all trades but I keep hearing how much more stable a straight axle rig is.

I'm not really into the Comp crawlers like the Capra, wraith and MOA style rigs but that only leaves a HPI Venture or something Gmade like the Sawback with leaf springs. Alternatively get another enduro or scx10 ii and make a short wheel base, small wheel and tyre truck and see how I like it. Just trying to find something to build that isn't going to cost silly money but be different enough so it's not out classed by the TRX4. I'm not a TRX4 fan boy but as a jack of all trades they do tick the boxes.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #2

Default Re: Best straight axle crawler?

WPL c44km. Cheap as full metal drive great scale looks. Cheap as rx/tx/esc combo with light controller winch controler 2 speed and sound unit all on 1 waterproof board.

Stunning little thing the alloy axles are gorgeous.
Full interior
Opening doors and hood
Real wood bed

Even comes with a grunty metal gear servo and the 2 speed box

Seems rather tough have beat mine for hours n hours n hours and my 4 year old can't break it yet.

Very capable little truck the tyres are very scale and really soft they hang on well.

Around 1/12 scale so yeah small but good for gardens and inside too.

The winch is kinda slow on 2s but plenty powerful and the controller is super easy to use even for a 4 year old

I'm not massively experienced in the flasher modern crawlers but have had an og scx10 for around 8 years now and this smaller scale rig has really grabbed me hard. My friends too. They love my scx10 but could never throw up the dough to get 1 its just too big of a step for a casual RC user but these WPLs have changed all that. They get amazing scale looks and performance for very very cheap

Don't knock them till ya try 1

KM only though definitely dont bother with the plastic versions
Jethro nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You seem to have forgot the premiere brand, Vanquish. I forget which one has straight axles, but they use scx10II compatable stuff and are all machined metal.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Check out the SSD Trail King kit, the mix of price, materials, and performance is hard to beat.
svt923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The venture has been a good truck for me, but it's hard to reccomend with HPIs lack of financial structure and large lapses between parts availability.

The Trsil King is an excellent value and a top performer. For the current price of $320 it's hard to believe any are left in stock. Its basically dialed out of the box.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Assuming you’re looking for a fully packaged kit, the vs4-10 pro and ssd trail king would be my top two suggestions. A 10.2 kit can be built to do work as well.

Otherwise check out the hh/tgh sherpa chassis, gspeed v3, and gamechanger 4. There are quite a few other flat rail chassis available as well. Find the chassis and transmission of your choice, slap some type of AR44 based axles under it and have a good time.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #7

Just remembered this thread as I was looking at crawlers again this morning.

What I think I mean by 'best' is really something with a low centre of gravity and great performance without looking like a Capra or comp rigs as I'd like it to resemble a real model body wise.

I've had my TRX4 the longest, originally a sport which I re-bodied to the Traxxas Bronco but without the 2-speed or remote locking diffs. I think it's the best jack of all trades but I'm no fan boy by any means. It's just a quality product and offers good all-round performance.

Now I've had a SCX10.2 Deadbolt which I put a Cherokee body on and really quite liked it as a overall package but sold it on due to the TRX4.

I then wanted another non-portal rig as I keep reading about how high the centre of gravity is on portal rigs. Bought an Enduro kit, ran once, sold it as it just wasn't doing anything for me. Sold it. Then bought another one as I'm a sucker but sold on again as I just didn't think it was offering anything more than the TRX4 and in most situations the portals are benefit (again, my opinion) considering it's a 1/10 scale vehicle in the real sized world, the portals just have more clearance over obstacles.

Now I'm leaning towards another SCX10.2 rig and to make it the most capable 'scale' crawler with a light weight body etc. Venture is also on the list but not much aftermarket for performance upgrades if it needs any. The divorced transfer case is smart and the transmission is superb low in the centre of body so good for centre of gravity, but then the motor, servo and motor are all higher, so maybe not that advantageous.

Looked at Gaz's TF2, they look the part, never had one either, but I'm unsure if I'll get frustrated with it due to the average performance they offer for crawling? It is something different to play with though and offers a different experience...

The Trail King is a good shout too, basically a better SCX10.2?

Keep getting tempted by the Venture, GS02, Redcat gen8 just as they are rarer but then doubt creeps in and I think you can't go far wrong with a 10.2 and any short comings can be easily upgraded...
Old 09-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have a few and I also find the TRX4 is hard to beat. The only area it suffers from is maneuvering. The one piece ar44s are hard to beat as far as tight turning and other than portals they aren't bad on clearance AND your get them with the SCX 10ii kit.

You already had an Enduro so at least you know not to go there. My kids friend has a Gen 8 and it just doesn't seem to that well.

SCX 10 original has too big of diffs and turns like crap.

You are going to spend the rest of you day thinking about this and you already know you will end up with an SCX10 ii.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-14-2020 at 10:33 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Just remembered this thread as I was looking at crawlers again this morning.

What I think I mean by 'best' is really something with a low centre of gravity and great performance without looking like a Capra or comp rigs as I'd like it to resemble a real model body wise.

The Trail King is a good shout too, basically a better SCX10.2?
The Trail King is superior to the scx10.2 in every way. With the Trail King at $320, there is zero reason to buy an scx10.2. The tk has a lower cog than the scx10.2. Out of the box performance of the tk is real close to a comp rig. Also, the tk has the best steering of any truck on the market.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
The Trail King is superior to the scx10.2 in every way. With the Trail King at $320, there is zero reason to buy an scx10.2. The tk has a lower cog than the scx10.2. Out of the box performance of the tk is real close to a comp rig. Also, the tk has the best steering of any truck on the market.
That is a strong endorsement.

Obviously the scale aspect is superior. Does it have a trans and a tcase? What OD is available. Are the shock towers plastic? if I want to run a revolver I don't have to have that engine cover on it do I?

I really like the way the axels look. They look like high pinion and even the end caps are smooth, susp and shocks links are up and out of the way.

After looking at it is hard to disagree with you.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-14-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If you're looking at 1.5 and different it's going to be hard to beat the MST CMX or CFX and they are designed around a bunch of Tamiya shells lexan and hard body. Plus the fit and finish and quality of materials is near the top if not the top.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
That is a strong endorsement.

Obviously the scale aspect is superior. Does it have a trans and a tcase? What OD is available. Are the shock towers plastic? if I want to run a revolver I don't have to have that engine cover on it do I?

I really like the way the axels look. They look like high pinion and even the end caps are smooth, susp and shocks links are up and out of the way.

After looking at it is hard to disagree with you.
Scale trans/t-case. Forward mounted motor that sits low in the chassis. Stock shock towers are plastic, but much more robust than stock scx10.2 shock towers. I have aluminum shock towers on my tk. Run whatever motor you want, no need for the motor cover. OD gears available for the axles. Titanium links are stock. Steel driveshafts, u-joint front axles. It really is a no-brainer over the scx10.2. If you're considering an scx10.2 raw builder's kit, get the trail king instead.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Scale trans/t-case. Forward mounted motor that sits low in the chassis. Stock shock towers are plastic, but much more robust than stock scx10.2 shock towers. I have aluminum shock towers on my tk. Run whatever motor you want, no need for the motor cover. OD gears available for the axles. Titanium links are stock. Steel driveshafts, u-joint front axles. It really is a no-brainer over the scx10.2. If you're considering an scx10.2 raw builder's kit, get the trail king instead.
it is a $100 dollars more than the SCX 10ii but you get allot for that $100.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #14

I'm torn between a SCX10.2 and SSD TK.

I have seen you can get different chassis rails for this chassis from various companies, with the SSD Trail King been based around the SCX10.2 geometry would these type of aftermarket chassis fit the SSD Trail King?

I'm not overly fussed on the scale looks on the chassis as far as engines and realistic transmissions and transfer boxes and i'm not running in comps, only just to have fun in spare time which is what makes it difficult.

Anything with Portals is going to very similar to my box stock TRX4, so do I go from extreme's to a Trail Finder 2 chassis which is all super scale but performance is limited, in which case I could easily see myself getting frustrated.

SCX10.2 is a lot simpler model and a lot lighter compared to the TRX4, but does the Trail King really offer that much more performance than a SCX10.2? I've read the transmission is quite heavy and a lot more gears than the basic 3-gear AX10 trans and the engine cover and oil pan can get in the way for link clearance, is this over come easily?
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey up!.. Have commented on MSUK buddy.

But yes, the scx and trail king are both based on the....... scx

If you've looked at my Toyzuki build, it is built with SSD Diamond axles purely because I could get the weighted tubes and they look sexy as hell! Then I purchased links etc....
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
I'm torn between a SCX10.2 and SSD TK.

I have seen you can get different chassis rails for this chassis from various companies, with the SSD Trail King been based around the SCX10.2 geometry would these type of aftermarket chassis fit the SSD Trail King?

I'm not overly fussed on the scale looks on the chassis as far as engines and realistic transmissions and transfer boxes and i'm not running in comps, only just to have fun in spare time which is what makes it difficult.

Anything with Portals is going to very similar to my box stock TRX4, so do I go from extreme's to a Trail Finder 2 chassis which is all super scale but performance is limited, in which case I could easily see myself getting frustrated.

SCX10.2 is a lot simpler model and a lot lighter compared to the TRX4, but does the Trail King really offer that much more performance than a SCX10.2? I've read the transmission is quite heavy and a lot more gears than the basic 3-gear AX10 trans and the engine cover and oil pan can get in the way for link clearance, is this over come easily?
Yes, the trail king offers a significant improvement in performance over the scx10.2. It sidehills better, climbs better, descends better, crawls better, turns better & moves more realistically. I don't find the transmission to be too heavy at all. It's a little heavier than an axial 3 gear, but it's more weight down low. I don't have any link clearance issues on my trail king. You are not required to use the engine cover, I don't. I can't say there's any downsides or compromises with the trail king. You get a lot for the money. That's just not the case with the scx10.2.

Best straight axle crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Axle Master's Straight 4340 Chromoly Straight Axles Cruzin Illusion EnRoute Berg 48 08-29-2009 06:07 PM
Hot Racing rear straight axle kit or stock Axial straight axle lockout? jmbones Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 05-28-2008 04:28 PM
RCP Crawler Straight Axle Josh87 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 01-14-2008 07:36 PM