Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stealth X Trans on SCX10-II skid - raised mounting height?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stealth X Trans on SCX10-II skid - raised mounting height?

I have a few questions about using a Stealth X transmission (from the Element RC Enduro) on a SCX10-II skid. If I'm not mistaken, the trans mounting bolt pattern is the same on both the SCX10 and Enduro chassis - so it should be possible to install an Element Stealth X trans on a SCX10-II skid (for the old three gear trans, not the one for the kit trans). Correct?

If so, would I be able to install the Stealth X trans in either orientation? i.e. motor facing forward or facing back?

I've heard the Stealth X trans sits a few mm higher than the Axial 3-gear trans does. Ordinarily, that would be a step backwards, and I'm aware that there are some ways to mitigate the increased trans mounting height. (Not the least of which is the new Bowhouse RC SVT Low CG Multipurpose Skid for Element and SCX10 - designed by svt923) https://bowhouserc.com/svt-low-cg-mu...ent-and-scx10/

But I'm actually not interested in lowering the trans, I think I need to raise it a little.

Here's my deal:

I just built a custom 10" SWB chassis (RadRocks RC Zukosauraus) - which is designed to utilize SCX10 components. It's currently got an Axial 3-gear transmission (the silver one) mounted on a stock Axial SCX10-II skid.

I have the chassis set up as a 4-link front end with Axle-mounted Servo. Since this rig is already pretty tight in terms of space, I decided to give the new Hobbywing QuicRun Fusion FOC 2-in-1 ESC/Brushless motor system a try. I have used the AXE FOC system in other rigs, and I like the way it drives. This rig doesn't need big brushless power. It's a scale/trail rig all the way.

The Fusion system mounts up just fine, but the longer length can interferes a little with the front upper link. I can't get full suspension compression on that side. It even moves the entire motor up a little when the link contacts the motor can, and that can't be good long-term. I have already gone to M3 links and small rod ends, and it just needs a couple more mm of clearance to be good.

So I thought about raising the entire transmission with a spacer, but then I remembered the Stealth X was rumored to be a little higher than the Axial 3-gear trans, right out of the box. It would also be great to get a little overdrive without having to install an overdrive gear set in the front diff.

But before I take the plunge and try to install the Stealth X trans in this rig, I wanted to make sure it would work. I need the motor to be on the driver-side, for weight distribution. My battery is installed on the passenger side tray/boatside. I think my current driveshafts will work fine with the additional trans mounting height, but if not, I have all the parts to make new WB8 HD driveshafts.

Am I going at this the right way? I'm no engineer... If there's an easier way to make this work, I am all ears.

This is the rig. Designed to work with the Pro-Line Sumo body, but also works with many of the Tamiya 10" WB bodies (Early Bronco, FJ40, etc.)

boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stealth X Trans on SCX10-II skid - raised mounting height?

How about end links like these? I had a similar issue on my wraith, used these to drop the upper links down some to get more clearance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Unless you're open to swapping motors I dont think I have a solution for you. What I do have is a similar setup with a short wheelbase SCX10.2 with a Enduro stealth X tranny, though I dont have the axle on servo setup with 4 link up front.
I could take some measurements for you so you can judge if the Enduro tranny will help or not.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How about end links like these? I had a similar issue on my wraith, used these to drop the upper links down some to get more clearance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into getting some M3 bent rod ends. Not too sure who makes them, but I think RC4WD has a pretty extensive selection of odd-sized rod ends.

Quote:
Unless you're open to swapping motors I dont think I have a solution for you. What I do have is a similar setup with a short wheelbase SCX10.2 with a Enduro stealth X tranny, though I dont have the axle on servo setup with 4 link up front.
I could take some measurements for you so you can judge if the Enduro tranny will help or not.

I am actually open to swapping motors, but since I bought the HW Fusion motor specifically for this build, I do want to explore any/all possible ways of using it. I'll try the bent rod ends, and see if that works, but I'm still interested in trying the Stealth X Trans. If you can take some measurements, that might help me decide whether to go that route or not.

Thank you kindly.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Also look at the TRX4 angled rod ends, theres a few different ones and I believe they are m4 sized.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I was confusing one of my other rigs that has the Enduro tranny, its actually installed on a 12" wheelbase SCX10.2.

The extra upper link for the 4 link looks like it will be pretty close to the drive shaft but looks like it should likely clear and allow full articulation. I very crudely mocked up this upper link.

Full extension

Full compression

the motor sits 10-11mm above the skid (measured from the front side in the center, off of the top of this front edge which is not the highest point on the skid) I hope that makes sense. This is a 550 sized motor.

Not sure if this picture is worth anything but this was hard to get a good angle to shoot.

You can reverse how the motor is mounted by flipping the skid or by using the optional top shaft for the Enduro tranny though I dont know where that would put the motor, never seen it used yet.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-28-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have a corrupt carbon chassis with high clearance links and an axial skid with a stealth trans. It all bolted up fine. I get you pics later today but unable to post them here. if you are interested in pics send me you email address or messenger.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I was confusing one of my other rigs that has the Enduro tranny, its actually installed on a 12" wheelbase SCX10.2.

The extra upper link for the 4 link looks like it will be pretty close to the drive shaft but looks like it should likely clear and allow full articulation. I very crudely mocked up this upper link.

Full extension

Full compression

the motor sits 10-11mm above the skid (measured from the front side in the center, off of the top of this front edge which is not the highest point on the skid) I hope that makes sense. This is a 550 sized motor.

Not sure if this picture is worth anything but this was hard to get a good angle to shoot.

You can reverse how the motor is mounted by flipping the skid or by using the optional top shaft for the Enduro tranny though I dont know where that would put the motor, never seen it used yet.
Thanks HumboldtEF - those pix are helpful. Looks to me like you have a good bit more clearance. I can't see any daylight between the link and the motor can whatsoever on mine. The rod end actually touches the motor can. You've got at least a few mm's of clearance.

I actually did try the offset rod ends. I had some from one of my old OG SCX10 parts trees. I think they were included in a Link Set. But sadly, even though the offset rod ends do create some space between the motor can, they also bring the upper link in contact with the lower link, causing serious binding. So it doesn't really help to lower the front upper link mounting point, I think I'm going to have to raise the motor instead, and the Stealth X trans seems like a good way to do that.

Quote:
I have a corrupt carbon chassis with high clearance links and an axial skid with a stealth trans. It all bolted up fine. I get you pics later today but unable to post them here. if you are interested in pics send me you email address or messenger.
Pix of your setup would be helpful. I'll send you a message with my email.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Try the offset ends on the axle side, might maybe give the right angle to clear and also not interfer with the lowers. Maybe...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
Try the offset ends on the axle side, might maybe give the right angle to clear and also not interfer with the lowers. Maybe...
Excellent suggestion... Turns out most of the binding was actually being caused by the straight rod ends. It got a lot better when I switched to bent/angled rod ends on the axle side. I also put bent/angled rod ends on the skid side to match, and that combo really loosened things up. It also did give the right angle to the upper links to clear the lower links. The final tweak was to drop the upper shock mounting position one hole, which gave it just that little bit more needed clearance. I am now getting full suspension travel and it's very smooth.

Many thanks to all who suggested fixes/tweaks!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

To answer your question (if still needed) the Element trans can be mounted with the motor on the drivers side, no problem. Great transmission, well worth the swap. The OD will be very helpful on a short WB rig too.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
To answer your question (if still needed) the Element trans can be mounted with the motor on the drivers side, no problem. Great transmission, well worth the swap. The OD will be very helpful on a short WB rig too.
Agreed. I'm definitely still planning to give the Stealth X a try - strictly for the overdrive. Do you get the impression that it sits a little higher than the Axial 3-gear trans? Are pinion angles still OK? I have an Element Trailwalker, and the front pinion angle seems right on the edge of too sharp. I know, different rig, so can't really assume it will end up the same on my little 10" WB rig. I can always mess with link length if needed.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It does sit higher for sure, note how I notched the battery tray. If it sits too high, you can shave it down a bit. I usually shave it flush with the bottom of the case. There's till enough meat in there to hold it securely. Should give you some options.

About 1/2 shaved.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I gotta assume the Enduro trans is longer than the axial 3 gear due to having two sets of gears stacked beside each other. How much longer, from throughpin hole to throughpin hole, is the Enduro trans? Is this enough to cause issues in a SWB rig? Anyone know the weight difference if they both have metal internal gears?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Stealth X Trans on SCX10-II skid - raised mounting height? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 skid no mounting holes Ditchrat Axial SCX-10 11 12-02-2016 03:03 PM
mounting holes: yeti VS scx10 trans navyeoseabee General Crawlers 1 04-07-2015 11:48 PM
Metho #73 for mounting Revo Shafts to Stealth Trans SammyXp Tamiya TLT Crawlers 19 02-08-2007 01:54 PM