Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need some ideas...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Need some ideas...

So now that we’re many years into the RC4WD TF2 and Gelande II platform AND we know that not the best thought process went into routing the transmission/transfercase drivetrain, has anyone come up with good mounts for shifting the transmission over to the “driver’s side” frame rail?

As most experienced members will know, the transfercase is driver’s drop while Toyota axles are passenger side diff. The driveshaft hits the bottom of the transmission and severely reduces suspension travel. I’ve ground off the threaded hump for that single screw where the driveshaft really hits, still, it’s the coming across the chassis that is the ultimate problem.

If anyone has a solution, feel free to post it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need some ideas...

Didn't the GCM transmission solve this "problem"?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Didn't the GCM transmission solve this "problem"?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

You could say that. While it seems it was mostly for their chassis and the TF2, there’s no clear assumption that it would work or be shoe horned into the much smaller Gelande II chassis. Unless I’m missing something obvious, which happens.

I guess this is more of a question of being creative with the parts that you have without having to spend the heavy chunk of cash for the GCM stuff.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Understandable. As I don't have a G2, I wouldn't know...and, as for the TF2, I'm selling mine (NIB) anyways, along with the GCM trans, so I'll probably never get to personally find out. I will say that another advantage with the GCM trans is its scale appearance (the biggest reason I decided to get it) - the stock trans not only raises the CoG', but it looks like 'garbage.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Understandable. As I don't have a G2, I wouldn't know...and, as for the TF2, I'm selling mine (NIB) anyways, along with the GCM trans, so I'll probably never get to personally find out. I will say that another advantage with the GCM trans is its scale appearance (the biggest reason I decided to get it) - the stock trans not only raises the CoG', but it looks like 'garbage.

Oh I agree, I have the RC4WD R4 in another one on my rigs for the realism factor. Although it never gets ran much, it’s still there and does it’s thing. Only to get a MRCommaD 22RE print to go with it!

So far, my solution is to use an RC4WD R2 crawler box transmission (defeats my previous point but I did have it laying around). Might have to fab/machine up some other mounts for the R3 single speed unless someone turns up with some good pictures of how they did it.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I am having the same dilemma with a custom SWB TF2 and K44's, but with a twist...I'm adding a scale engine block which needs to be centered. I tried flipping the brackets to opposite sides of the R3, but then I'd have to drill new holes and the motor would still be offset. The spur can be clocked also, but then it raises the 3D engine too high.

My partial solution is to use a planetary trans mated to one of those vertical transfer cases(can't remember what they're called). I did this on my Tomb Raider Jeep several years ago. A GCM R4 would be the ticket for you, but it's too long for my SWB chassis.
Attached Images

58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I am having the same dilemma with a custom SWB TF2 and K44's, but with a twist...I'm adding a scale engine block which needs to be centered. I tried flipping the brackets to opposite sides of the R3, but then I'd have to drill new holes and the motor would still be offset. The spur can be clocked also, but then it raises the 3D engine too high.

My partial solution is to use a planetary trans mated to one of those vertical transfer cases(can't remember what they're called). I did this on my Tomb Raider Jeep several years ago. A GCM R4 would be the ticket for you, but it's too long for my SWB chassis.

It doesn’t help that the R3 also has a favored driver side output.... but is mounted closer to the passenger side frame rail. So, it’ll still be a fight to get it in line with the transfercase even with newly fabbed mounts.

My RCModelex chassis runs the same setup that you have pictured and it works great! If I’m not mistaken, some other RC4WD kit worked like that (TrailStomper maybe?). I’ll post a picture of what I have come up with. It has a SUPER low gear reduction, but at least the driveshafts are in the right places.

Comparing the R4 that I have in a TF2 and the Gelande frame, there’s just no real real estate to put that transmission either without having a super small rear driveshaft and horrible angles.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I agree...real estate is difficult in a SWB chassis.

The R4 is a great trans for the TF2 and LWB Gelande chassis, and any of the larger scale chassis. I'm planning on using one in my Waggy build.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of what you came up with.

In my CJ-5 build, I'm thinking of using a reversed Triton transfer case, where the rear drive shaft goes off the same shaft being driven by the transmission, then the other shaft goes to the front axle on the passenger side. I'll have to fab a new mount for it, but that won't be difficult. Only downside I can see is, there won't be any reduction. I have a set of 3:1 gears for the axle that I might try and see if they'll fit.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I agree...real estate is difficult in a SWB chassis.

The R4 is a great trans for the TF2 and LWB Gelande chassis, and any of the larger scale chassis. I'm planning on using one in my Waggy build.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of what you came up with.

In my CJ-5 build, I'm thinking of using a reversed Triton transfer case, where the rear drive shaft goes off the same shaft being driven by the transmission, then the other shaft goes to the front axle on the passenger side. I'll have to fab a new mount for it, but that won't be difficult. Only downside I can see is, there won't be any reduction. I have a set of 3:1 gears for the axle that I might try and see if they'll fit.

Forgot to take some today while I was messing with it. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get some to post up.

That’s basically how I have the driveshafts going through the TF2/Gelande transfercase to get everything on the passenger side. Another added bonus that I didn’t think about, is that because of that the front axle is over driven! Close to 3:1 when comparing wheel rotation. Might be worth looking into for you as well!

Need some ideas... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for ideas mojave450rider Newbie General 3 10-12-2015 06:15 PM
I need ideas aiden102408 Chit Chat 9 12-29-2011 08:08 AM
Course Ideas no2hud Nebraska 1 08-22-2009 01:10 PM
need ideas cammok5 Newbie General 25 09-06-2006 03:16 PM