Notices

Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #361
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Looking over some of the videos and instances where people have broken the Ryft, virtually all instances were 100% predictable.

Slamming into large rocks at speed is going to break stuff no matter the platform, let alone a solid front axle design.

I think the idea is to bounce over or around the rocks, and not plow directly into them. I'd call that a poor line choice or lack of throttle control, and not so much the fault of the Ryft.

I think 4s has it's place with this machine for some drivers, but the "basher" mentality is going to destroy a good number of Ryfts in careless hands.

I actually prefer the looks of the Bomber over the Ryft, but I'm not seeing how a Bomber is going to compete with a properly setup Ryft on a rock racing track.

s
^ That. So much that!

Even Arrma’s, known for their sturdyness, will break if manhandled and mistreated, especially at the speeds that are attainable nowadays with even the simplest RTR.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #362
I wanna be Dave

I think this may be a perfect candidate for a trailer able rig. Throw her on a trailer and find a hill climb bash it break it tow it back to the 1:1...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #363
RCC Addict

On Insta...dude said this was 20 minutes in. Judging from comments he runs his rigs hard and expects breakage but was still disappointed it happened so fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #364
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I saw that. I also saw the video showing that very Ryft attempting to "rock bounce" through a massive rock pile, get bounced off it's line and drop down, landing squarely on a sharp edge of a rock.

That would have snapped any plastic axle housing. Made me laugh quite a bit; the moment I saw the Ryft on that rock garden, I pretty much knew the outcome.

Might want to check that video out. Looks like the rocks he was driving in was a setup for crawlers. Looks like the inside of a hobby store, and it's a pretty cool setup..... for crawlers.

I'm not sure why this weird disconnect that happening here. The Ryft is not Superman of RC, and some how this seems to pervade the idea of what the Ryft is as a platform.

4s / 2200 kv + large rock garden is going to break parts with an alarming frequency.

I fully expect to see dozens of videos of broken Ryfts, and everyone shocked that it failed. So far I have yet to see something that doesn't have "Duh" written all over it.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #365
RCC Addict

Default What’s next from Axial?

I mean they are pushing it as a rock bouncer...lol

I don’t think there’s some ‘weird disconnect’ there are just skeptics that are surprised to hear it being crowned a winner when it has been on the rocks for all of a month. And surprised it keeps being compared to the Bomber, totally different platform. I’m in that crowd but I’m like that with every ‘new flavor’.

Last edited by Phildirt; 02-28-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #366
RCC Addict

Think about it this way...as surprised as some folks are that people are hammering on these things and not expecting them to break, there are also guys that are surprised that folks can’t fathom that a new platform would have flaws or an inherent weak part/fuse. But common sense says don’t rush to judgement in either direction. Give it some time.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #367
Quarry Creeper

Hmm,

My first impression when it was announced was; "Nuts..." The electronics in that platform are surely going to destroy it. As fascinated as I am, I'm holding out for the Kit so I can mellow it out substantially.

Since then, I have been doing quite a bit of research into "rock bouncing", and I found it to be more complex and technical than I anticipated. The line choice these drivers take, and their strategies are well thought out. It is not simply racing through a field of massive rocks, such as what was attempted in the aforementioned video.

Also, I noticed that many are ripping up a hill, using the massive power for climbing traction rather than speed. It's been an education for me.

Stepping back, I can see the Ryft doing very well as setup from Axial to replicate a scale version of that.

I went back the the original video from Axial, and heck, they are just about spot on with the product and the video. For that specific terrain, it looks to be just about perfect.

I feel that my ideas to take this machine and make it into a rock racer, something to compete against the bomber platform, is taking it out of it's design element and into new territory. Might work, and it might not.

Looking back to Harley's video where he states his also broke, after launching it 10' into the air multiple times, doesn't seem to shock him much.

Here is my question; is there a solid axle anything OEM that runs 4s and handles "rock bouncing" better than this Ryft? I truly do not know that answer. I only have one solid axle platform, and that's my crawler. My rock racers are all IS systems.

s.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #368
Quarry Creeper

And I also agree that it is well possible there are some axle housing issues which need to be sorted; I think time will only tell for that one. Axial wouldn't be the first company to release things before they are full tested.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #369
RCC Addict

Agreed with most points, except maybe the scale application. Rigs are pushed well beyond 1:1 capabilities in this hobby, inherent with the translation in power to weight ratio. My daughter drives her SCX10ii like a U4 so I expect breakage every outing.

Honestly the only thing that struck me odd at all in this thread was that guys were saying “who would buy a Bomber rtr”...the fact that the 10ii rtr’s are still selling should answer that question. There are undeniably better platforms, but it’s still a niche. They are still selling the RBK when the Trail King clearly outclasses it. Some guys don’t hammer on their rigs and won’t need the ‘best’ I think.

I’d be into a Ryft for the wrong reasons, so not looking at them, but still enjoying the banter.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #370
Quarry Creeper

Phil,

I think we are seeing things pretty similar, but I will counter about the 1:1 comparison to a point. I agree that in my collection of Tekno, AE's and other buggies that I race, they do indeed far surpass 1:1 world, but the Rock Bouncer arena is a bit unusual.

It's just my perception, but I think that rock bouncing per say, and also U4 in many ways, crashes are unusually unforgiving. The rocks and terrain extract a much higher toll on the RC than crashes in less aggressive terrain, such as asphalt, grass, gravel. I feel like the margin we enjoy from our RC platforms on these more sedate surfaces is not nearly the same as in the rocks.

Of all the types of driving that could be seen as a race, or potential be a race, rock bouncing is going to be the most punishing, especially if approached with the basher mentality.

And oddly, that attracts my interest. It's the controlled chaos of the effort that is something to be studied It's one of the reasons we are building a new and very challenging U4 track; to really challenge the driver and machine. While I do not expect the Ryft to ever match the lap times of my Lasernut U4, I think it would be a riot to see how much performance could be squeezed out of that machine.

As for the Bomber, that's gonna be an interesting one to follow. As I asked in the other post, stripped of all electronics, as well as wheels and tires, just how different are the machines? Radically different? Kissing cousins?

We know they are different in dimensions, but I ponder that if both were set up with identical electronics, wheels and tires, and and tweak the Ryft to have the same ride height as the Bomber, throw a sway bar on both, what differences actually resolve on the track.

I would love to see this first hand.

s
Old 03-01-2021, 04:22 AM   #371
Rock Crawler

Well, the Netherlands have a severe lack of rocks, so that kind of breakage? Maybe at the coast, where there are blocks of basalt, generally used to calm the sea.

The rest is exàctly the kind of terrain the Southern Buggies are usually driven on : steep, loamy and sandy hills. And given the fact we’re mainly as flat as a pancake with sóme little humps in the terrain, it’s pretty ‘to scale’ too.
Biggest breakages are when I juuust nòt missed ‘that tree’ at speed. And curbs.

In the end : Our toy cars break, especially when cold and beaten on ( and don’t forget the power we can put in it nowadays. Speeds and torque that -in the past- were only possible with, maybe, expensive cobalt 750’s and bags full of even more expensive NiCads.)

High performance vehicles break. Put a beercan 27t 540 and just a 7.2v nimh pack in a modern BL car and it won’t break. Period. Only when driven over it with a real car. That has been different. Vintage kits, like Marui’s Ninja, or Samurai, broke stuff with even mild setups. Tamiya’s broke a lot when pushed even a little. Kyosho’s Scorpion range bent chassis rails when using something as mild as a 21t 540 Le Mans, Kyosho Maxxums broke front A-arms when You looked at them wrong, and they all ate gears like there was no tomorrow. I can go on, and on. Owned só many RC’s since my first Big Bear. Broke far too many too..

So, yeah. I am an old guy, and am probably “baby footing” cars nowadays. But I am deeply impressed by the things a modern RC can withstand. And none too surprised younger kids ( anything below 45 to me.. ) break stuff the way they mistreat their rccars.

And now for some Dutch bluntness : It irks me to no end if someone pops-up at a forum, and immediately posts “Someone I know, knows someone that broke it within a day” while not even òwning the mentioned car. Way too many of those characters around.

It especially irks me, because generally, I see NO ONE on RCCrawler claiming Axial cars are perfection, never break and can withstand èverything bashers like the Traxxas and Arrma offerings can withstand. No-one.

That’s the last thing I am going to say about it. Also not going into the discussion Ryft <—> Bomber, I don’t own -or have ever owned- a Bomber, so cannot say anything useful about it.

Now, on topic, back to enjoying fiddling with The Ryft!

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-01-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #372

The Ryft is a beast and using 4s Lipos somethings going to break.
Viper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:13 AM   #373
RCC Addict

Not trying to irk you Jay-em just sharing what I’m seeing on Insta. I’ve only seen a handful of comments on the Ryft and most are from Axial...you know how that ‘bad news travels faster’ thing works. I’ve seen similar content on the LMT...but nobody posts about their Mojave breaking anymore haha

Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #374
Rock Stacker

Why do some people write a sentence or two and leave a massive gap?

And then put down the next sentence.

Is that a new custom or something?

What is the origin story to this?
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #375
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Why do some people write a sentence or two and leave a massive gap?

I think it's like a paragraph kind of thing, like separating thoughts. It's not bad on the PC but on a phone/tablet it can be a tough read.

Back story is not exciting, just chatting about the Ryft and how it's either The Greatest BasherCrawlerU4TrailRig Of All Time or a complete bust, there appears to be no in between

EDIT: that last comment was sarcasm

Last edited by Phildirt; 03-01-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #376
Pebble Pounder

I just hope it can match the crawlability of my current GOM (which has very few actual upgrades). I think my first upgrade on the Ryft will be to rip out the stock electronics and buy a good sensored setup. Looks like the stock ESC and motor are worth a decent amount used.

As for the strength of the axle housings... I drove my GOM off a cliff (on accident...) and it cartwheeled all the way down, end over end, about 50ft. It broke the front lower link bracket and the rod end on the corresponding link. Just replaced the rod end and drove it back. Hopefully the Ryft could withstand a similar tumble.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #377
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome987 View Post
I just hope it can match the crawlability of my current GOM (which has very few actual upgrades). I think my first upgrade on the Ryft will be to rip out the stock electronics and buy a good sensored setup. Looks like the stock ESC and motor are worth a decent amount used.

As for the strength of the axle housings... I drove my GOM off a cliff (on accident...) and it cartwheeled all the way down, end over end, about 50ft. It broke the front lower link bracket and the rod end on the corresponding link. Just replaced the rod end and drove it back. Hopefully the Ryft could withstand a similar tumble.

I think there's luck, temperature (cold=brittle) and a few other factors involved. I should have filmed yesterday me and my daughter taking turns at King of the Hill with her Enduro axled 10ii - we're talking skyward launches at full throttle on 3s and resulting cartwheels back down the hill, it was a good 30' or so at about 40 degree slope. I thought we broke the servo but it looks like it may just be the bushing, haven't looked closely. This is on an otherwise bone stock 10ii with 2.2s...I'm not bragging, just hopefully agreeing that it's not just the design that breaks these rigs. So far I'm really impressed with the regular old plastic Enduro housings.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #378
RCC Addict

Is everyone expecting theirs this week with the update on the ryft page? I don't have a shipping email and my order status hasn't changed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #379
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
Is everyone expecting theirs this week with the update on the ryft page? I don't have a shipping email and my order status hasn't changed.

YES! Mines waiting at my Lhs Right now for the release date!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #380
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post

My status has not changed as well. Credit card hasn't been charged either. I wouldn't be surprised if I do not get it on Saturday, honestly. Hopefully we do though!
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM