Notices

Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 04:42 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Agree with jato on the kit, itshould come in all 3color choices. Id rather have the orange one in a kit. But looks like ill have to settle for rtr. Stock electronics will definantly go, not goina swap over to "smart tech" batts.

N it would have been a nice touch to see a faux LS under the hood to help hide the batt too.
You don’t have to use Smart batteries.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Stock electronics will definantly go, not goina swap over to "smart tech" batts.
Like rkj said, smart batteries are not needed and the Spektrum ESCs and motors are quite good, definitely not the throw away grade stuff you usually get in a RTR. The servo can go right in the bin of spares though.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #103

Have put a deposit down with my LHS

Gone orange RTR

Would prefer a kit but they don't have any info on that. I'm sure if a kit becomes available they will let me switch.
SkidderUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #104
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yeah I thought the Ryft farted.

After watching Harley’s video, here are my initial thoughts in the random order in which they appeared in my twisted and wordy mind.
All fair observations Jato.

Personally, the noisy springs turn me off. I have a set of Traxxas Big Bore I sprung with Axial springs that make these noises and I quickly realized it wasn't going to work for me. That sound touches a nerve every time the springs compress. Perhaps its a pet peeve, but I can't run with it. I hope they don't leak too

If this were a 1.9er I might actually be pre-ordering. As it is its definitely more of a wait and see. While it looks really cool, I am pretty exclusively crawling these days and pretty content with that. The slower the better has pretty much become my MO.

I do look forward to seeing what these can be capable of. None of the promo videos have shown me any performance qualities that sets this rig off
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

So I pre ordered one...

My thoughts after watching the vids...

I am going to lock it up front center and rear.

I love bouncers.

It needs to be lower... I have some 100mm shocks waiting...

It needs a sway bar.

I love bouncers.

CUT TSL'S!

It will look good next to my "1.9" Bronco on 5.4" boggers.

Wth are the axles called?

Its big, Crazy and fun...

A 2 year warranty? WHAT?

Oh and I love bouncers!

I forsee broken parts!

Diffs in a bouncer? Are they insane, it needs to be locked up.

ORANGE FOR THE WIN!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm kind of disappointed that it's a 2.2 rig. Those have virtually fallen out of style and demand. I still may eventually get one, but I was hoping it was a 1.9 rig.

Mwah. I bet that You, like me, have boxes full of 1.9” sets. Easy swap. Would make it look like the somewhat smaller bouncers. Cages fit under most bodies too. And ‘style&demand’ ?? Fêh.. haven’t bothered with that since my first Grasshopper.. ( made a sand-dragger out of it.. :P Something no-one had ever heard off where I live.. )

I did the same with the Wraith.

But.. ROCKBOUNCER!!!!!

Finally. I’ve been wishing for Axial to make one for, like, years. I’m incapable of welding a reasonable cage, and ordering a custom one is sooooo bloody expensive.. *shiver* So, yeah.. this is just what I wanted.

Shame, though, that they skimped on the swaybars. But that’s my only niggle. Luckily I have a working method of making my own sways from electronics board and spring steel. So, no biggie.

Looks like they fixed one of the main problems of the Ryft forebearers : Stripping idlers in the gearbox. Made it all metal. So should be very well capable to withstand the 4s Axial indicated. It’ll be mad, given that the Spektrum motors are no wussies..
I wonder how much will just snap and break with thàt amount of power.. I’ll keep at 2s to maybe 3s tbh. The Losi Tenacity already scared the heebies outta me on 3s.. ( wrecked / disintegrated the whole rear-end when a corner, near to the curbs, didn’t pan-out the way I thought. Nèver seen driveshafts gone full-on “L” shaped before..... )

I’ll have an orange one, please.. ( probably going to be closer to €600,- than the $500.- it goes for in the US. So be it. Mebbe order in The States. With the low $ and all.. hmm.. but.. I WANT it! :P )

Last edited by Jay-Em; 01-08-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #107
RCC Addict

Bouncers are awesome. Good job on the cage and most of the updated drivetrain. Not really a fan of offset rear diffs so I wish they had used a centered version. Sway bar is definitely going to be a required upgrade.

I too wish this was a 1.9 though.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #108
RCC Addict

I feel like I am missing something on the whole 1.9 thing. Seems like most rigs are having wheels/tires swapped as the roll out of the box or ordered with the kit, I don't see a whole lot of builds in here with glue on tires.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

If you want a similar 1.9 rig then go buy a gatekeeper. This is a long, wide bad ass rig meant for hill killing which requires larger dimensions to get up the good stuff. You guys lamenting about this being a 2.2 rig get no sympathy, more like contempt from me since the market is saturated with 1.9 already so just suck it and let us have one occasionally.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

You guys want....

- shorter shocks
- locked diffs
- 1.9s

Basically a Wraith 1.9 without a body
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
If you want a similar 1.9 rig then go buy a gatekeeper. This is a long, wide bad ass rig meant for hill killing which requires larger dimensions to get up the good stuff. You guys lamenting about this being a 2.2 rig get no sympathy, more like contempt from me since the market is saturated with 1.9 already so just suck it and let us have one occasionally.
I’m typically one of those 1.9 preferring nerds but we ran side by side rock bouncing drag races at an event a couple years ago and the bigger 2.2 trucks were infinitely more fun for this type of driving. The 1.9 trucks would get tossed around and thrown way off course really easily while the Wraiths and Bombers would get bounced around but generally stay pointing in the direction you intend to go.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
You guys want....

- shorter shocks
- locked diffs
- 1.9s

Wraiths are old and outdated. This looks cool.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Wraiths are old and outdated. This looks cool.
That's my point.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #114
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
You guys want....

- shorter shocks
- locked diffs
- 1.9s

Trying to learn here, not being smart or anything. By that logic would that make the Ryft just a Wraith with unlocked diffs and trailing arms which would make it a Bomber with unlocked diffs and a smaller cage(as far as what it does, not the design details/new names for the axles and what not)?

Don't get me wrong this thing is rad and I want one, just trying to wrap my head around what Axial has done different here besides mix up things and get everyone to freak out like they usually do.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Trying to learn here, not being smart or anything. By that logic would that make the Ryft just a Wraith with unlocked diffs and trailing arms which would make it a Bomber with unlocked diffs and a smaller cage(as far as what it does, not the design details/new names for the axles and what not)?

Don't get me wrong this thing is rad and I want one, just trying to wrap my head around what Axial has done different here besides mix up things and get everyone to freak out like they usually do.
Sure.

There's nothing new here besides the sum total of it all combined into one ready made package.

Out of the box this does what I'd want it to do without building one. My scalers are for tinkering, I want this to just pick and go bash some hills, FOFF style. For that reason, I'll get one.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Kind of. Bombers in even partially stock form suck. Big top heavy bastards that roll over at the slightest off camber obstacle even lowered with brass knuckles.

This rig has open diffs that are fluid filled so they are legitimately tuneable unlike axial previous open diffs that didn't hold fluid.

This has all new axles that are (on the surface at least) built far stronger than ar60s in every aspect. Hardened ring & pinion stock, beefy steering gear and 6mm shafts for strength.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Kind of. Bombers in even partially stock form suck. Big top heavy bastards that roll over at the slightest off camber obstacle even lowered with brass knuckles.

This rig has open diffs that are fluid filled so they are legitimately tuneable unlike axial previous open diffs that didn't hold fluid.

This has all new axles that are (on the surface at least) built far stronger than ar60s in every aspect. Hardened ring & pinion stock, beefy steering gear and 6mm shafts for strength.

Understood. Man I guess I'm just trying to beat the hype down in my head but this thing is ticking a lot of boxes.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Understood. Man I guess I'm just trying to beat the hype down in my head but this thing is ticking a lot of boxes.
For sure. I think it's a great compliment to the grand slam capra. Everyone (myself included) was wary of horizons take over but so far they're kicking major ass.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #119
Rock Stacker

What is stopping those diff output gears moving towards the inner gears? Do not see any e-clip or similar.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #120
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:

It's a 2.2 rig. It is neither a Wraith nor a Bomber nor any other Axial 2.2 rig. That said, it is only so different. How well it takes hits and handles bumps as it climbs hills has yet to be seen. Lower and Wider than a Bomber, it will undoubtedly handle speed better. Still being solid axles, it's performance at speed with suffer when the road gets bumpy. Quality? I certainly hope it is better than the past 2.2's from Axial. They can be money pits if you run them hard.

There is no doubt it is a wicked looking rig. I also think it would be a gas to run it. Can't say it leaves me chomping at the bit, however. IGiven that I have all of the other Axial 2.2's, this will likely end up in the collection at some point, but who knows for sure.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM