Notices

Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #141
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thanks brian! Im excited, its my first rtr bought new. Im keepin a eye on joshs (harley) vids n updates on his. Tryin to decide if i should get a new batt or new 2.2 beadlocks n tires right of the bat lol. I already know its goina get a rear swaybar for all that torque twist.

For sure on the sway bar! That torque twist was extreme especially with a high powered system.

I too am waiting to see more vids from Harley. Looking forward to the complete tear down this Friday on his Friday night live video.

My plan is to stick with the 3S batteries that I already have. I think 3S will be plenty of power to turn them wheels and launch it like a rocket!

2.2 beadlocks will be one of my first items I will replace. I'm surprised they went with glue-on wheels. I was expecting to see a beadlock wheel similar to the wheels that came with the Capra, just in a bigger size. I like the looks of the tires, but don't want to deal with un-gluing them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #142
RCC Addict

I wish I could say the glue on wheels were a surprise, my impression of Axial is that they cut corners on random things to lower overall production cost and probably do it with the aftermarket in mind. I mean it's no secret that RC hobbyists can't leave anything alone. Funny how it has progressed though, the old RCC threads for new vehicle releases were 'free mod' threads like 20 pages long and mainly discussed shock relocation and bumper tucking lol. Now it's straight to SSD/Samix/Club5. Not a bad thing, just different.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I wish I could say the glue on wheels were a surprise, my impression of Axial is that they cut corners on random things to lower overall production cost and probably do it with the aftermarket in mind.
Based on my experience with Axial’s previous 2.2 beadlocks included with trucks, the first time the diff unloads under full throttle, you tire will be flung off the wheel and into the next time zone. Glue on wheels, while cheap and annoying, do a pretty reliable job of keeping the tire firmly in place in comparison to some cheap beadlocks.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #144
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I wish I could say the glue on wheels were a surprise, my impression of Axial is that they cut corners on random things to lower overall production cost and probably do it with the aftermarket in mind. I mean it's no secret that RC hobbyists can't leave anything alone. Funny how it has progressed though, the old RCC threads for new vehicle releases were 'free mod' threads like 20 pages long and mainly discussed shock relocation and bumper tucking lol. Now it's straight to SSD/Samix/Club5. Not a bad thing, just different.
It’s a natural progression methinks.

From my experience the first thing to break on these Axial 2.2 rigs are the steering knuckles. Typically it doesn’t take long, even running the vehicle modestly. One awkward landing... Of course with better parts comes even more rigorous driving habits in turn bringing even more breakage as the stress transfers to adjacent parts.

Then of course there is the higher torque motors and the driveline stresses. Higher torque servo, higher torque motor...

I was all about these 2.2 rigs when I got back into RC. Seemed like I was contstantly repairing them. I much prefer the less broken parts that comes with crawlers
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Glue on for life. I own 1 set of beadlocks which wouldn't mean much if I didn't have 30+ full sets of tires ready to go at all times.

I think some shorter shocks and a rear sway bar will help the chassis immensely. A real steering servo will be in order too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #146
RCC Addict

Did yall see rcsparks vid from yesterday? Instead of a swaybar, he went with dual shocks in the rear. It seems to help with the torque twist alot
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #147
Pebble Pounder

Not to side track this thread, but I'd love to see a Yeti 2.0 get released with this power system.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #148
RCC Addict

Dang thread didnt update til i hit "post reply" lol.

I agree, 3s is probably more than enuf for launchin this thing. I cant wait lol, got a few spots to take it myself.

Goina be interesting to see the break down of new parts on friday. Really enjoy wed livestream takeover n fri night live.

Im eyeballin a few sets of beadlocks, not sure which i like better. Kinda wanna go blue n try to break up some of that orange. I dont see me tryin to un-glue those tires either. Think a set of boggers would look good. I like tge look of the thornbirds, but ive only found them in 1.9
Old 01-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Im eyeballin a few sets of beadlocks, not sure which i like better. Kinda wanna go blue n try to break up some of that orange. I dont see me tryin to un-glue those tires either. Think a set of boggers would look good. I like tge look of the thornbirds, but ive only found them in 1.9
Might want to wait and see how stiff the tire rubber/sidewalls are on the RTR tires - something like a Pro-line Bogger might pizza-cutter like crazy on 4S!

I can see it now - new "Belted" Pro-Line Rock Bouncer tires!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #150
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Might want to wait and see how stiff the tire rubber/sidewalls are on the RTR tires - something like a Pro-line Bogger might pizza-cutter like crazy on 4S!

I can see it now - new "Belted" Pro-Line Rock Bouncer tires!

Have u seen rcsparks vid of his first run with the ryft? They become pizza cutters lol. But, i was lookin on horizon hobby site, the axial boggers are only $20 a pair.

If i get new beadlocks, ill grab a set of CI foams as well. Belted tires would be a nice touch on this new rig imo
Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, especially with unlocked diffs anything NOT belted is gonna balloon when it unloads - but some more than others, is my basic point...

Softer rubber - better for crawling - but worse for high-speed runs.

I did see that according to the website, the RTR tires are at least at a nice and low retail price.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Comp cut CI foams and run with it.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Comp cut CI foams and run with it.
I've got 2 sets of Axial R35 tires (the standard kit Bomber BFG Baja T/A KR2s and the Krawler T/A KXs) with CI foams in them on Incision and Vanquish beadlocks, they do quite well in the dry abrasive rocks in my area in my lard-ass Revolver-powered Bomber...
Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 PM   #154
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Dang thread didnt update til i hit "post reply" lol.

I agree, 3s is probably more than enuf for launchin this thing. I cant wait lol, got a few spots to take it myself.

Goina be interesting to see the break down of new parts on friday. Really enjoy wed livestream takeover n fri night live.

I've watched Harley's first two live streams, but I've never watched one live. Are they live on YouTube? How do you know when they start?
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #155
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
I've watched Harley's first two live streams, but I've never watched one live. Are they live on YouTube? How do you know when they start?
Yes they are live on YouTube every Friday. They start roughly at 6pm PST, 9pm EST.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #156
Pebble Pounder

Cool, thanks I enjoyed his new years " I'm going to build a trans for this used truck" stream.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

I'm really hoping the lower link mounts on the axles don't share bolt hole spacing with the AR60. If they do, then the inner axles will be the weak link in the drivetrain. I always considered these bolt on link mounts a design flaw since they stress the housing at the attachment point while limiting inner axle diameter.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #158
RCC Addict

Hopefully these new axles are an improvement

Did they ever mention a release date? I know its in feb
Old 01-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #159
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hopefully these new axles are an improvement

Did they ever mention a release date? I know its in feb
Feb 12th
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #160
Quarry Creeper

What do you all think for electronics? I have a castle 1415 (3670) 2400kv in a wraith paired with a MMX, seems like a perfect combo for the ryft. Or, a puller pro 3500kv. Or, if it fits, one of holmes 40mm cans. FyI, my bday is in March, I'd like an orange one....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM