Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

To me it fullfills a wish I had for a loong time.. A ‘proper’ rockbouncer, not a lowered Wraith with part of the cage cutoff, not a lowered bomber. Nope, all southern rockbouncer with crazy long shocks, and bonkers size wheels.

FFOF at its best imho. Even the ridiculous torque-twist kinda fits. Though a set of rear sways is going to be added first. Did that to all my Wraiths, it made sùch a difference when strapping-in ridiculous power.

I don’t really crawl with my vehicles. Mostof ‘em are just scale-looking bashers, and this Ryft seems to be aimed at the same public as the Wraith, only this time Axial didn’t make the mistake of trying to make a sorta-kinda basher from a pure crawler ( with allthe accompanying weaknesses at speed) with an anemic motor, nope. They went all-out balls-to-the-walls as it currently looks. Even went as far as designing completely new axles.. no ‘parts-bin-car’ .

By the by : Yup. It needs a burly v8 cover for the battery. Maybe there is indeed a way to print something that clips over the battery, or something.

Once it’s in the shops, I bet that crafty tinkerers come-up with something pretty quick.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 01-08-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
What is stopping those diff output gears moving towards the inner gears? Do not see any e-clip or similar.
Clips are just prefabbed failure points. The driveline being bolted in place hold the pinion in place
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #123
RCC Addict

Well fellas, tomorrow im preorderin my first new rtr (other than my boys rustlers). Every basher ive got i either built or got used. My crawlers were all built from buyin the parts i wanted, not kit version.

I may run the spektrum esc n motor n see how i like it before i decide to swap it out. Already been lookin at new 2.2 beadlocks n tires for a lil more weight down low. Definantly goina add a rear swaybar.

Ive got a few place i think will b perfect for this new rig to tackle. Straight up hills, red dirt/ red clay, good size rocks
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #124
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Well fellas, tomorrow im preorderin my first new rtr (other than my boys rustlers). Every basher ive got i either built or got used. My crawlers were all built from buyin the parts i wanted, not kit version.

I may run the spektrum esc n motor n see how i like it before i decide to swap it out. Already been lookin at new 2.2 beadlocks n tires for a lil more weight down low. Definantly goina add a rear swaybar.

Ive got a few place i think will b perfect for this new rig to tackle. Straight up hills, red dirt/ red clay, good size rocks
Sweet

I just watched RCSparks get all stoked up over the Rift. It really is the coolest looking rig to come out in awhile....of course he has the orange one!,
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

1. It's not a Jeep.
B. It's not a Toyota.
Lastly, see 1 and B above.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I’m typically one of those 1.9 preferring nerds but we ran side by side rock bouncing drag races at an event a couple years ago and the bigger 2.2 trucks were infinitely more fun for this type of driving. The 1.9 trucks would get tossed around and thrown way off course really easily while the Wraiths and Bombers would get bounced around but generally stay pointing in the direction you intend to go.
That kinda makes sense now that you mentioned it. Great point. This is exactly why I'm willing to give another 2.2 a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
1. It's not a Jeep.
B. It's not a Toyota.
Lastly, see 1 and B above.
YAY! HOORAY! THREE CHEERS FOR THIS!

I don't care how much you love Jeeps and Rustoyotas, you have to be tired of the same brand of bodies over and over and over again.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

I had just been looking up motor, esc, and hopup parts for my bomber to make it faster and hold up to it. Then bam this thing comes out. Thinking ill leave the bomber as is and give this a go. This was out of no where it seems, just wake up one day and here is the thing I was looking to build.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 AM   #128
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Clips are just prefabbed failure points. The driveline being bolted in place hold the pinion in place
Sorry, I think I worded my question wrongly. I mean those gears where axle shafts slide into. Seems that IFS rigs have e-clips and dogbone cup housing to lock the gear in place and allow shimming behind the gear or behind the dogbone cup to push or pull the gear.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
This has all new axles that are (on the surface at least) built far stronger than ar60s in every aspect. Hardened ring & pinion stock, beefy steering gear and 6mm shafts for strength.
Where does the manufacturer say that stock ring & pinion are hardened? Link? As in hardened steel or just made stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
To me it fullfills a wish I had for a loong time.. A ‘proper’ rockbouncer, not a lowered Wraith with part of the cage cutoff, not a lowered bomber. Nope, all southern rockbouncer with crazy long shocks, and bonkers size wheels.
Would the Ryft not need to be lowered for proper rockbouncer look? And if you lower suspension on the Ryft, is the servo going to collide with the frame?

Last edited by Growler; 01-09-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:42 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Would the Ryft not need to be lowered for proper rockbouncer look? And if you lower suspension on the Ryft, is the servo going to collide with the frame?
If the shocks are properly adjusted with the springs, no. It’ll just sag to a far lower stance.

Most of my bashers ‘hang’ in their shocks when a battery is fitted. And remember: It’s NOT a crawler, it’s a Rockbouncer/hillclimbing machine. So, crazy articulation will only hinder it.

Oh, and there’s a plastic beam around the servo, so, I think Axial already thought of it slamming into the frame.

(By the by, I stìll do not understand Your point about the e-clips and dogbones. Might be because english is not my mothertongue.. )
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #130
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
(By the by, I stìll do not understand Your point about the e-clips and dogbones. Might be because english is not my mothertongue.. )
Like the EXO/ Yeti diff 13T spider gears are mounted. Similar to LRP S10 Blast:

Picture taken from: LRP S10 Blast - The underrated kit

One Traxxas version has no e-clip, but similar idea:

I am no expert on differentials, just assumed there is a reason to lock those axle side gears in defined position and allow shimming to push or pull the gear.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

I pre-ordered mines!

Like others, I intend to run it as a sort of basher. Mud, dirt, water, heeps of trigger on 4s. I can almost hear my wallet groaning from repairs and upgrades!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Sorry, I think I worded my question wrongly. I mean those gears where axle shafts slide into. Seems that IFS rigs have e-clips and dogbone cup housing to lock the gear in place and allow shimming behind the gear or behind the dogbone cup to push or pull the gear.

Also:

Where does the manufacturer say that stock ring & pinion are hardened? Link? As in hardened steel or just made stronger?

Ahh I see what you're saying. I was thinking you were referring to a clip to hold the pinion out. I haven't seen a good breakdown of them yet (harley said he's dropping a breakdown vid tomorrow) but I'd hazard a guess that they use an o ring in the bore to seal around the shafts.

Looking at the pics the gears aren't pot metal, they may not be hardened but for this power level and warranty they'd basically have to be hardened to hold up. It's pure speculation on my part.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #133
RCC Addict

Welp fellars, just pre-ordered mine. Now we wait lol
Old 01-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #134
Slow is the new Fast

Has anything been said about the kit release at this point?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #135
RCC Addict

I checked to see if it was out for order yet, but no luck. I wouldve got the kit over the rtr. Itd be nice if they give the option of color when they release the kit though, instead of just grey
Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #136

Pre-ordered mine today as well. I would've waited for the kit, but honestly it comes with some pretty decent electronics as is. First thing I'm going to do is bind the RX to my rugged and toss the OE into the spare parts bin. I can see myself upgrading the servo but I'm also likely to burn or break the OE servo first.
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #137
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I pre-ordered mines!

Like others, I intend to run it as a sort of basher. Mud, dirt, water, heeps of trigger on 4s. I can almost hear my wallet groaning from repairs and upgrades!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Welp fellars, just pre-ordered mine. Now we wait lol
Congrats guys!

Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

I'll probably wait until the summer to pick one up! I've already have too many projects going on at the moment and my wallet is not happy!

Oh, and congrats to you @Crunch as well! I didn't see your post! I did hear that the electronics is decent. I like the stock electronics that came in my 10.3 JLU and JT Gladiator. They have been great so far and I believe the Ryft electronics is like them, but bigger and better!

Last edited by B-MOW71; 01-12-2021 at 05:11 PM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! Im excited, its my first rtr bought new. Im keepin a eye on joshs (harley) vids n updates on his. Tryin to decide if i should get a new batt or new 2.2 beadlocks n tires right of the bat lol. I already know its goina get a rear swaybar for all that torque twist.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

I'm gonna wait for the kit as well, and I'm leaning more towards 3s and a low kV Tekin Pro4 HD.

I think 4s is gonna eat this thing alive in repairs. I have been on the fence about a new Bomber 2.0, and this made that decision easy.

I do like that it's a 2.2 for sure, and I like the willingness of Axial to try different ideas. In our rocky desert washes, I think this might be a real winner.

s.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #140

I think I'm going to run it 3s for a while at least and will be keen to grab a sway bar ASAP. Can see keeping the electronics stock until something goes wrong (although pretty sure the servo will be sub par). I have one local spot I can't wait to take it. Steep hills, loose dirt, tree roots and craggy banks.
SkidderUK is offline   Reply With Quote

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM