Thread: What’s next from Axial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 AM   #481
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: What’s next from Axial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Yep. Agree 100%. Thank you for saying this. I'm always baffled by all the people who keep making excuses for axial/horizon. Most of their stuff is garbage as far as I'm concerned. Traxxas, SSD & even Redcat will continue to get my money. It's funny how design flaws & inferior materials are happily accepted from axial/horizon, yet other companies are automatically dismissed as junk.
Thanks
I haven’t been on here much lately. I’m in the process of producing solutions to all the issues in the new trucks
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #482
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Thanks
I haven’t been on here much lately. I’m in the process of producing solutions to all the issues in the new trucks
I have been missing you...
And that is good news to hear SSD is preparing parts for the RYFT!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #483
Quarry Creeper

SSD,

You have our undivided attention...!

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #484
Rock Crawler

Interesstinggg.. Braces under the axles? Beeftubes? Servo-saver could use something of a cover.. Broke my expensive Losi LMT servosaver in a frontal knock with a traffic sign.. near-sighted idjit me.. *cry*

Last edited by Jay-Em; 04-11-2021 at 04:44 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #485
Rock Crawler

@dezfan

Indeed. It feels kinda sh***y to be the beta-testers for rather expensive stuff we have to páy for, instead of getting the car for free, so one can shill for Axial on YT.

It feels like Horizon browsed through áll chinese manufacturers to explicitly get the cheapest and nastiest option, so the CEO’s at Horizon can pocket a bit more moolah.

Added to that: This, again, proves that Axial specifically is completely ìncapable to design fast rigs that dón’t fall to pieces when actually going fast. The EXO, the Yeti.. same story. I got both. Put them next to the Rock Rey and the Tenacity pro( got those too)... and it becomes quite apparent that Axial CANNOT design fast rigs that last. They should keep at mild crawlers and scale trailing rigs.

And Losi has -indeed- taken a bit of a nose dive after Horizon got its grubby beancounter fingers in the company. It started with skimping on the bearings in the Rock- and Baja Rey’s rear axles, and has progressed to snapping axles on the LMT.. Again, quite probably because they outsourced parts making to the cheapest ( and probably least trustworthy) manufacturer in China-land.. that -apparently- took serious shortcuts in materials.

The kicker? There are now many vague China brands that are actually móre sturdy and dependable than the ‘settled’ brands.. it’s like the downfall of American auto industry and English motorcycle manufacturers in the 70’s allover again. Everyone was still convinced that Japan could only manufacture crappy rustbuckets made from WW2 ration tins... they became complacent, ignored the things that were happening in the real world.. And then Japan silently proceeded to -basically- take-over, because they produced cheaper, had more options as standard and didn’t break down very often. ( English motorcycles were notorious for breaking down quite often..)

And while I am at it, it’s even more galling that Axial willingly did nòt include a swaybar ( the only thing that could have kept it from being a rolling tumbleweed disaster on any speed above 15km/h) to save some pennies, but kéeps lying about the why. First it was ‘we wanted improve flex’ and then it became ‘we couldn’t get the tuning right’ Now THERE is some grade-A bull pucky rìght there..... And still make the almost all plastic Ryft more expensive than a car that has sways, a usable BL system, alu chassis, alu damper stays etc. Etc. is sturdy as heck, and has many other upgrade parts. The Losi Tenacity Pro. ( and ... then Losi proceeded to bungle-up its bastard-child, The Laser nut. People break those rather easy too, as it seems )

/rant

Last edited by Jay-Em; 04-12-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #486
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
@dezfan

Indeed. It feels kinda sh***y to be the beta-testers for rather expensive stuff we have to páy for, instead of getting the car for free, so one can shill for Axial on YT.

It feels like Horizon browsed through áll chinese manufacturers to explicitly get the cheapest and nastiest option, so the CEO’s at Horizon can pocket a bit more moolah.

Added to that: This, again, proves that Axial specifically is completely ìncapable to design fast rigs that dón’t fall to pieces when actually going fast. The EXO, the Yeti.. same story. I got both. Put them next to the Rock Rey and the Tenacity pro( got those too)... and it becomes quite apparent that Axial CANNOT design fast rigs that last. They should keep at mild crawlers and scale trailing rigs.

And Losi has -indeed- taken a bit of a nose dive after Horizon got its grubby beancounter fingers in the company. It started with skimping on the bearings in the Rock- and Baja Rey’s rear axles, and has progressed to snapping axles on the LMT.. Again, quite probably because they outsourced parts making to the cheapest ( and probably least trustworthy) manufacturer in China-land.. that -apparently- took serious shortcuts in materials.

The kicker? There are now many vague China brands that are actually móre sturdy and dependable than the ‘settled’ brands.. it’s like the downfall of American auto industry and English motorcycle manufacturers in the 70’s allover again. Everyone was still convinced that Japan could only manufacture crappy rustbuckets made from WW2 ration tins... they became complacent, ignored the things that were happening in the real world.. And then Japan silently proceeded to -basically- take-over, because they produced cheaper, had more options as standard and didn’t break down very often. ( English motorcycles were notorious for breaking down quite often..)

And while I am at it, it’s even more galling that Axial willingly did nòt include a swaybar ( the only thing that could have kept it from being a rolling tumbleweed disaster on any speed above 15km/h) to save some pennies, but kéeps lying about the why. First it was ‘we wanted improve flex’ and then it became ‘we couldn’t get the tuning right’ Now THERE is some grade-A bull pucky rìght there..... And still make the almost all plastic Ryft more expensive than a car that has sways, a usable BL system, alu chassis, alu damper stays etc. Etc. is sturdy as heck, and has many other upgrade parts. The Losi Tenacity Pro. ( and ... then Losi proceeded to bungle-up its bastard-child, The Laser nut. People break those rather easy too, as it seems )

/rant

Your rants belong here...Rant Thread

Not in this thread dude.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #487
Quarry Creeper

Cool story bro.

I agree with Jay. When horizon buys out a company their quality goes to hell.

I do really like my yeti though.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #488
Quarry Creeper

After my front axle broke Axial sent me updated front and rear replacements for free. Sucks that thats the way it happened but it was fixed free of charge.
I have beaten the crap out of the new axles and they have taken it no problems.

I put a sensored motor and a different esc in because I do allot of walking so I wanted it smother then it was. It was touted as a rock bouncer so I think the nonsensored setup was ok for what it was.

It is a bummer it didn't have a sway bar and the servo saver isn't the greatest but I don't think that makes it a complete pile of crap.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:04 AM   #489
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
After my front axle broke Axial sent me updated front and rear replacements for free. Sucks that thats the way it happened but it was fixed free of charge.
I have beaten the crap out of the new axles and they have taken it no problems.

I put a sensored motor and a different esc in because I do allot of walking so I wanted it smother then it was. It was touted as a rock bouncer so I think the nonsensored setup was ok for what it was.

It is a bummer it didn't have a sway bar and the servo saver isn't the greatest but I don't think that makes it a complete pile of crap.
That’s hopeful. Are they the axles that have different braces arount the pumpkin and that little ridge lengthened at the ends where the uprights go?

Let’s hope the upgraded axles become available in Europe soon. I got a ‘new’ axle.. that was exàctly the same as the ‘old’ axle.. just a different sticker with a different serial number stuck on top of the original label. Bit odd.

WallofText: Forgive my Dutch bluntness, but, my point remains: it’s òverpriced, and ùnder performs as the RTR. I have way better hopes for the kit.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE it that Axial fìnally made a Rockbouncer, but they took só many shortcuts, and invested in exactly the wrong parts imho. The BL set included is mad powerful, and hasn’t let me down yet, not even when it suddenly got quite warm overhere.. 27°c. Or when I accidentally dunked it in the lake next to my bashing spot. Servo was fine too. More than enough power for what I do with it. No complaints there ( only that it is 23t.. and I have boxes full of 25t accessories grmbll.. ) It just keeps on going. The transmitter/RX combi not so much. Binding/link problems galore from the get-go. Losi Tenacity : same RX, simpler TX.. no problems at àll.

I kinda baby it, only 3s max, no crazy jumping, no slamming it into rocks and try to crawl with the wheels locked, etc. Yet, I blew through 3 servosavers -they really rèally don’t like any temp under 5°C apparently- ( yes.. the losi lmt servosaver too broke.) . Only after replacing it with a 3 racing high torque, it stayed in one part. Broke multiple ballends, swingarms keep popping off their balls. Servo slams hard into the battery tray. ( fixed with 1.5cm hard rubber tubing spacers on the damper shafts, at the cost of some flex) RX doesn’t take analog servo’s. They burn through.. not nice, but I guess their time is over. Servo’s are mostly digital by now anyhoo. Springs rub annoyingly on the shock bodies ( minor niggle, though) And, and, and.... all of it adds-up in the annoyance-department.

All in all, I think I would have been less disappointed if Axial had chosen a somewhat simpler brushed setup, say, a 12t 550, or a 15t 550, and a simpler TX/RX combi. Most people rip the motor and esc, and the TX/RX combi out anyways. That’s abit of a waste of money, unless one can sell the package. And it could have kept it under € /$ 425.- instead of the cool €530.- it costs overhere. ( $630.-, might one be interested) With a package like that, breakage would also have been kept to a minimum. /WallofText

And Axial fanboys can grumble all they want, *puts-on flame-retardant suit* , in the end the Ryft is a great, but flawed experiment, who’s flaws shòuld have emerged pretty quick when Axial had taken more time to test it and bash it like many users would. And test it in the cold ( not unimportant) exáctly like the EXO and the Yeti, which are, coincidentally, also pretty dang fast rigs.. not Axial’s strength..
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #490
Slow is the new Fast

I have been critical of the Axial hype for many years. From my perspective Axial has come up with some really interesting designs and ideas. It draws people in. However after purchasing their product, I have found I am more often than not left disappointed by the quality of it. My respect for Axial, as a brand, is rooted in their history more so than in their quality. They are at the forefront of the crawler niche, to my understanding. At this point Horizon appears content to have the brand rest on its laurels. Horizon didn’t need to buy the brand to make trucks, they already had several. They chose this route, why? The NAME sells trucks. The Axial name gets a pass, again and again. As a hobbyist, I would be lying if I didn’t express my disappointment.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:47 AM   #491
Rock Crawler

Well.. broke the front axle today..( nnoo.. seriously? Inconcèivable.. )
Never used 4s, just 3s and 2s.

Already got me a new one, knowing it would inevitably break. The newer one is named ‘rev1” next to the serial number. No difference in construction, but the material ìs different.

If You tap against it with a screwdriver or something, the material sounds differend. Gently scraping with an x-acto is different also. Old axle: hard, scratchy, stone-like feeling with powdery result. New one: more like scratching the softer, more flexible nylon used normally with a more ‘fibre, chip’ like result. So here’s hoping it survives better.

3-racing high-torque servo-saver held-up. Nice. Affordable replacement then.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #492
I wanna be Dave

the quality of axial products has always been in there design not in there exicution of sead designs the plastic has always been questionable
there rtrs always needed upgrades out of the box to just be driveable
thats why i built from scratch i refuse to pay for junk that come in kits and on the rtrs
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:16 AM   #493
Rock Crawler

“Needing upgrades” is rather different from “needs $500.- in aluminium parts to be reliable”, tbh. Though, truth be told, I never needed any upgrades beyond a gearboxcover for my 1st gen SCX10 Honcho. Then again, I never strapped-in real big power. I am quite happy putt-putting about with a simple 27t 540. Hence my assessment that Axial is wholly incapable of producing reliable, sturdy enough ‘fast rigs’. They better leave that to Losi or Associated. And since Losi became Horizon too, there have been some questionable choices afa cost-cutting there too. Horizon saved Axial from bankruptcy, as I understand it, but at what price, might I ask.. ( by the by.. anyone noticed Vaterra being silently absorbed by Losi? The last ‘new’ Losi, the ‘69 Camaro TC.... is the original Vaterra ‘69 Camaro.. funny. Even the battery strap still sez ‘Vaterra’.. It could mean that the Vaterra crawlers wìll be back.. but with a Losi badge. Maybe even an improved TwinHammers? Interesting. )

Let’s just hope the replacement gen 2 axles, with the improved bracing and material, become widely available soon. I really don’t mind spending €20.- to make the Ryft sturdier and thus a usable basher. Last gen AR60’s work fine in my 3520kv 4-pole SMT10. Only thing needed to get that thing up to snuff for what I do with it, was a set of steel innards for the gearbox. The plastic gears stripped on the first outing with the BL system. (another one of those rather dubious beancounter choices. Plastic crawler gears.. in a fast Monstertruck ‘what could go wrong’ At least they didn’t make thàt blunder again with the Ryft. Although I have nó doubt whatsoever that some people will blow those to smithereens too with 4s on a big 1/8 motor, despite the Ryft being overpowered alrèady. Some people just don’t mind strapping a blown 7l V8 in a Lumina without strengthening everything.. )

Last edited by Jay-Em; 04-19-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #494
Pebble Pounder

Took my Ryft out on a trail for the first time on Saturday. It lasted about 30 minutes before catastrophic failure.

Because its so stupidly fast (even with a 13t pinion) and has 0 low speed control, I bumped a rock with the front axle/steering servo resulting in broken gears within the servo. Very unimpressed. Don't buy the RTR folks!
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #495
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
“Needing upgrades” is rather different from “needs $500.- in aluminium parts to be reliable”,

i had $1500 in to my wraith before i could.get through a whole battery pack without breaking something axial has never made a quality product before horizon heck they couldent even keep parts in stock i remeber looking for months for cage parts for the wraith before giving up and going with a metal cage axial couldent even make enuff scx10iis to sell after they relesed it

thatz were the aftermarket comes in axial isent squat with out ssd vanquish and all the others who make upgrades with out the upgrades axial would look worse than redcat the aftermarked took axials designs and made them stronger

as bad as axial has always been there were still on par with tamiya there only compitiotion in the early days i have my pile of broken axles and gears and boxes of broken tamiya parts to other brands werent much better before axial i had a $1000 futaba fx10 back in the 80s and it wouldent last a hole pack ether before it broke and the pack only lasted 15 min on a good day even the rc10 gold pan that was practicly bomb proof untill you overpowered it lol then it cost a.small fortune to repair

people get so down on axial but seem to have forgoten were this hoddy came from and all the advances that axial made

lets all be happy that the durabuility of our rcs just keeps getting better and better even with a few setbacks like the yeti xl and the rift

Last edited by ferp420; 04-19-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #496
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the quality of axial products has always been in there design not in there exicution of sead designs the plastic has always been questionable
there rtrs always needed upgrades out of the box to just be driveable
thats why i built from scratch i refuse to pay for junk that come in kits and on the rtrs
I am currently running a stock Spawn RTR and it has been up against $1500 builds. It has taken many lickings and it keeps on ticking with no broken parts. To say that you need tp upgrade before driveable IMHO is a far fetched statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i had $1500 in to my wraith before i could.get through a whole battery pack
If I was having to spend $1500 on parts before getting through a full battery I think I would need tp reevaluate my driving style. At $1500 in parts that is about 4 times the cost of the vehicle.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #497
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den72 View Post
I am currently running a stock Spawn RTR and it has been up against $1500 builds. It has taken many lickings and it keeps on ticking with no broken parts. To say that you need tp upgrade before driveable IMHO is a far fetched statement.

If I was having to spend $1500 on parts before getting through a full battery I think I would need tp reevaluate my driving style. At $1500 in parts that is about 4 times the cost of the vehicle.
mine also was a rtr spawn but i got mine when it was relesed and if i cant drive it how i want to whats the point of having it i dont baby shibit

and you know what it dosent break anymore and having only the skid plate left from the original spawn why waist the money on a rtr or a kit

now days i just buy all the aftermarket parts and dont waist my money or my time on plastic junk once a rig is built its bullet proof and theres nothing to upgrade sure it takes me some time to put together my own kits but i end up saving money in the end
Old 04-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #498
Rock Crawler

Ahh.. “The Olden Days” Yes. Tamiya’s, Kyosho’s, Marui’s, RC10, Early Losi’s.. they, indeed, broke quite regularly. Even with a humble 27t 540 and a 1200mah NiCad they wouldn’t last very long in my young hands. Nowadays I can keep them together. Got a room full of rere’s that all are still in one part, despite having wày stronger motors and far bigger batteries.(My longest surviving car is, oh miracle, an original Tamiya Avante 2001 with an early LRP 4-star -I believe, label gone, brushless with only the uprights and steering hubs replaced by custom aluminium. It has survived for20 years, bashing, some dabbling in off-road racing, children trying it out etc. ‘Ye average abuse’ so to say)

I’m saying that, because I sorta, kinda, dó ‘baby’ them. The Ryft included. And those rere oldies don’t break.. But The Ryft, on the other hand, consistently breaks something every run. And don’t get me started on the electronics.. there was a time Axial came with good, simple metal geared servo’s and Castle motors and esc’s instead of the Spectrum stuff. ‘No fan of the whole ‘smart’ shizzle, so to speak. And, as someone already very aptly remarked, 60 to 75 km/h ( gps checked) is nice for bragging-rights and waving one’s e-peen, but wholly idiotic, useless ànd overpowered for what the Ryft actually is : A lengthened, waaay overpowered, open diff crawler that ísn’t a crawler, but àlso not a basher. ‘GEEN HEMD, EN GEEN BROEK’ As the Dutch saying goes. Roughly translated as ‘neither shirt, nor breeches’ And even as a Rockbouncer it fails miserably out-of-the-box. Impossible to keep straight without a big a.. sway bar in the rear on anything resembling an actual hillclimb. ( Axial, sweeties..why do You think real bouncers have those HONKING BIG SWAY BARS ?? But You? Noooo. You ‘don’t need them, ‘to improve flex’ .. Fibs? Much?)

I honestly believe that had Axial delivered the Ryft with a far more modest brushless or brushed system ànd a swaybar already in the package, and hadn’t waved the “4s ready” bullpucky, the grumbling and the endless YOutube vids where stuff snaps with even mild bashing, would have been fàr less. As would my disappointment. For now it just sits there. Being very vèry pretty. ( because it lóoks great!) While I ‘m back to bashing my Losi Scbe and Tenacity pro, without fear of stuff breaking. ( and not having paid through the nose for them.. The Tenacity Pro is a very reasonable €450.- overhere.. against €540.- for The Ryft.. go figure)

Last edited by Jay-Em; 04-20-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Changed to correct Avante type
Old 04-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #499
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ahh.. “The Olden Days” Yes. Tamiya’s, Kyosho’s, Marui’s, RC10, Early Losi’s.. they, indeed, broke quite regularly. Even with a humble 27t 540 and a 1200mah NiCad they wouldn’t last very long in my young hands. Nowadays I can keep them together. Got a room full of rere’s that all are still in one part, despite having wày stronger motors and far bigger batteries.(My longest surviving car is, oh miracle, an original Tamiya Avante 2000 with an early LRP 4-star -I believe, label gone, brushless with only the uprights and steering hubs replaced by custom aluminium. It has survived for20 years, bashing, some dabbling in off-road racing, children trying it out etc. ‘Ye average abuse’ so to say)

I’m saying that, because I sorta, kinda, dó ‘baby’ them. The Ryft included. And those rere oldies don’t break.. But The Ryft, on the other hand, consistently breaks something every run. And don’t get me started on the electronics.. there was a time Axial came with good, simple metal geared servo’s and Castle motors and esc’s instead of the Spectrum stuff. ‘No fan of the whole ‘smart’ shizzle, so to speak. And, as someone already very aptly remarked, 60 to 75 km/h ( gps checked) is nice for bragging-rights and waving one’s e-peen, but wholly idiotic, useless ànd overpowered for what the Ryft actually is : A lengthened, waaay overpowered, open diff crawler that ísn’t a crawler, but àlso not a basher. ‘GEEN HEMD, EN GEEN BROEK’ As the Dutch saying goes. Roughly translated as ‘neither shirt, nor breeches’ And even as a Rockbouncer it fails miserably out-of-the-box. Impossible to keep straight without a big a.. sway bar in the rear on anything resembling an actual hillclimb. ( Axial, sweeties..why do You think real bouncers have those HONKING BIG SWAY BARS ?? But You? Noooo. You ‘don’t need them, ‘to improve flex’ .. Fibs? Much?)

I honestly believe that had Axial delivered the Ryft with a far more modest brushless or brushed system ànd a swaybar already in the package, and hadn’t waved the “4s ready” bullpucky, the grumbling and the endless YOutube vids where stuff snaps with even mild bashing, would have been fàr less. As would my disappointment. For now it just sits there. Being very vèry pretty. ( because it lóoks great!) While I ‘m back to bashing my Losi Scbe and Tenacity pro, without fear of stuff breaking. ( and not having paid through the nose for them.. The Tenacity Pro is a very reasonable €450.- overhere.. against €540.- for The Ryft.. go figure)
This pretty well sums it up... I think the Ryft can be great, but the RTR is not. And I agree, the electronics it comes with are total garbage. I strongly dislike the smart stuff. One of these days when parts come out for it I guess I'll try to make it better, but right now, mines sits along side yours; doing absolutely nothing.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #500
Rock Crawler

I have greater hopes for the kit. With a bit of luck it comes with the strengthened front- and rear axle-housings REV2. It already has the sways included, the reinforcement plates on the swingarms, and a 2-speed. That should fix a lot of the troubles. Now for a Losi LMT servosaver, instead of the utterly pants Axial one, and we’re talking. Needs softer rearsprings too, to combat its hoppity-hop character, due to all the weight being at the front. The donkey-kicks are somewhat unnerving @ 60km/h..

EDIT: I got the hopping under control pretty good through the use of the valved damperplates/pistons of earlier Axial cars in the rear dampers. They fit! Got them set to soft in, and hard out. IE, valve open on the in-stroke, and closed on the out-stroke. Filled them with 100cpl oil ( the lightest I had around) and combined with the swaybar, it’s a difference of night & day. Still not perfect, but that’s just how it is with straight axles on a fast rig.

For power I am thinking 2s, màybe 3s, and no bigger than a 6.5t sensored 550 @ 13t pinion. That should be more than enough, combined with the two-speed.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 05-19-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Mixed-up valve settings.

What’s next from Axial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM