-Shocks

TRX4
+Portals, durability, parts quality

-Price, weight, difficult to maintain

Trail King
+Price, steering angle and parts quality

-None??

MST CFX
+Fit and Finish, planetary gear box, cool body choices, Top notch plastic quality

- Parts support

HPI Venture
+Shocks, Performance, parts quality

-Parts support, steering angle

Element Sendero
+Stealth X gearbox(with aluminum case to avoid binding), shocks, BTA Steering, aftermarket part support

-Overall axle and chassis design looks cheesy and plastic quality. Axle breakage issue

Carisma SCA-1E
+Value and axle designed for sliding over rocks, All steel drivetrain, Ease of maintenance

-Steering angle out of the box

Carisma SCA-1E 2.1
+ Value, 5-pole RTR motor, Anti-Torque twist trans, 50s style painted body, All steel drivetrain, Lower gear ratio

-Steering angle?? Don't own this variant so not sure if this was addressed in the 2.1 version

GMade GS02F

+ Fun build and fun to drive, Overdrive included, Ratio's in the 2-speed are far apart and allow you to run a low KV motor, Square Body Chevy Pickup, Super quiet drivetrain, Lightweight, Can use SCX10 II parts to upgrade, Nice shocks, interior fenders, Pumpkins almost slide over rocks as easy as the Carisma SCA-1e axles!

- Part support, Tires not that great, Various sizes of hardware, Lots of part trees to cut

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 12-09-2021 at 01:36 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best and Worst Attributes on these Chassis

I would remove "plastic quality" from a negative on Element Enduro just based on my experience with driving/tinkering/inspecting mine. It is much more stout than anything I've seen from Axial. As far as the axles they are big, but well made and the behind axle steering is top notch. Not sure what else is cheesy about the chassis, it's a 4 link rear/3link front with panhard just like the 10iii and every other CMS rig. On the RTR version the esc, radio, and motor are nice and smooth.

on SCX10ii I would say the fit/finish/plastics/transmission and overall execution are lacking, there are better trucks out there nowadays. Agreed the AR44 axles are stout. Mine will eventually find their way to a one-off build.

TRX4 I don't think price is a negative, for how loaded that thing is it is a screaming deal and no more expensive than the Axial 10iii in RTR form. The kit crawler is a good value as well. Just about the only thing they appear to be gouging is the K5 due to demand.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

As far as what to add, that appears to be a list of trail/crawlers that are somewhat scale. Kind of pandora's box if you wanted to list every single rig but I would at least consider these if I was picking up another rig in that category. before you say the Vanquish is too pricey I've seen $800 SCX10ii builds in here, they all add up:

GMade Buffalo
Element Gatekeeper
SCX10iii Gladiator
Vanquish VS4-10
Redcat Wendigo
RC4wd Cross Country
Old 01-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ehh, the fit and finish was really good for me on my 10 ii. I actually really like the no-nonsense, good looking tranny as well. The plastics have a fair bit of flex, but I personally like that it'll flex before it snaps. there are better trucks out there for sure, but I'd say for the price(especially the builders kit) It's a good value.

TRX4 price is up there, but for what it features I'd say it's priced right.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Ehh, the fit and finish was really good for me on my 10 ii. I actually really like the no-nonsense, good looking tranny as well. The plastics have a fair bit of flex, but I personally like that it'll flex before it snaps. there are better trucks out there for sure, but I'd say for the price(especially the builders kit) It's a good value.

TRX4 price is up there, but for what it features I'd say it's priced right.

Which truck in the TRX4's league is cheaper? It kind of set the pace for a portal rig, Axial is trying to keep up at the same price.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I believe the sport is the cheaper of the trx4 there phil. But as stated, the trx4 is well worth the money for what its worth.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

But i do prefer my vs4 pro over my trx4 bronco or my scx10 ii. I will say, there are places my 10.2 will go that my vs4 wont. Not had alot of time with my trx4 on the trails due to brown outs from a hungry servo. Ive got a cc bec, just havent got it put in yet
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Only thing I've ever broke on my scx10 ii was the panhard mount
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'd clarify that the MST CFX that is the same size as the others listed is actually the CFX-W, and it also has portals.

There are the CMX and CFX standard width models that tend to have smallish wheelbases.

(IMHO) the Element works very well, even though at first glance the diff housings seemed awfully oversized, but with a set of tires over 4.5" in OD it's not really an issue.

The SCX10 III was not listed?

I'm pretty sure an SCX10 III without portals is next up on Axial's release schedule since they already have AR45 standard solid axles available separately...

Last edited by durok; 01-11-2021 at 07:31 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

IME

TRX4:
Pros - price, durability, portals, fit and finish, quality of plastics, aftermarket support, options for kit, several rtr, multiple body, multiple wb. 2 spd and diff locker options rtr. Forward motor. Good chassis design for portals and cog. Bronco and blazer are killer bodies. Same with the fendy.
Cons - steering angle, rtr electronics

Scx10ii
Pros - various models and price points. Incredible aftermarket. RBK at $199. Good chassis rail design for straight axles. AR44’s are arguably the best axles on the market (upgraded). Multiple transmissions. Two speed option aftermarket.
Cons - stock shocks. Stock plastics. Stock battery mount. Stock rod ends. Some models come with dog bones instead of universals. Rtr servos.

Enduro:
Adjustable overdrive (well, underdrive technically) in the transmission. BTA steering. Excellent shocks, I’d argue the best rtr or kit shock available. Diorama boxes. Forward thinking parent company. Aftermarket is solid with the exception of some axle upgrades that some may want.
Cons - hit or miss quality out of the box. Sensitive reverse on rtr electronics. Relatively heavy transmission. Lack of ring and pinion or axle housing upgrades.

Vs410:
Pros - no upgrades needed out of the box for durability. Fit and finish. Generally good warranty support. High cross compatibility with SCX10ii upgrades. Overdrive at the transmission. VFD low and forward motor position. Mostly USA made. Brandon and Harley are cool dudes. Best C channel chassis available.
Cons - ultra portals are dated now that 10.3 axles are out (universals?). Price point for some.

Scx10iii:
Pros: portals with universals. Improved materials over prior generations. Improved shocks over prior generations. Very detailed and quality bodies available. LWB gladiator! Dig. Hidden body mounts.
Cons: 2 speed ratios too close together. Relatively heavy chassis design. Rtr micro servos.

Trail King:
Pros: offset pumpkin in front. Aluminum shocks. Upgrades everywhere. Scale transmission. scale motor. Scale fuel cell. Excellent steering. Solid performance out of the box. Crossover with 10.2 upgrades.
Cons: shocks can be leaky. Axles are all plastic instead of the metal/plastic combo we were used to from ssd before this kit. Pumpkin not as offset as other offset axles on market.

Hpi venture:
Pros: Cool FJ body
Cons: HPI

Last edited by Topher Builds; 01-11-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Gmade Buffalo
Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing....well, maybe the tires and the 400 different screw sizes in basically one bag .

Last edited by themountain; 01-12-2021 at 01:03 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I would remove "plastic quality" from a negative on Element Enduro just based on my experience with driving/tinkering/inspecting mine. It is much more stout than anything I've seen from Axial. As far as the axles they are big, but well made and the behind axle steering is top notch. Not sure what else is cheesy about the chassis, it's a 4 link rear/3link front with panhard just like the 10iii and every other CMS rig. On the RTR version the esc, radio, and motor are nice and smooth.

on SCX10ii I would say the fit/finish/plastics/transmission and overall execution are lacking, there are better trucks out there nowadays. Agreed the AR44 axles are stout. Mine will eventually find their way to a one-off build.

TRX4 I don't think price is a negative, for how loaded that thing is it is a screaming deal and no more expensive than the Axial 10iii in RTR form. The kit crawler is a good value as well. Just about the only thing they appear to be gouging is the K5 due to demand.
To me the element just looks like some type of knock-off chassis. Just a poor design and kind of bulky and bland. I was wanting to to like it, but let it go. BTA steering is not important for me and had a time fitting truck bodies to it without them sitting too high.

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 01-12-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
To me the element just looks like some type of knock-off chassis. Just a poor design and kind of bulky and bland. I was wanting to to like it, but had to let it go. BTA steering is not important for me and had a time fitting truck bodies to it without them sitting too high.

Heard. I mean besides RC4WD they are all some type of knock off chassis. I've never seen a Bronco with portals lol. Different strokes, if we all liked the same rig this hobby would be pretty boring imo.

Check out my Trailwalker thread, I was able to fit an Axial C10 body on mine with some creative hacking. I like 'purpose built beater trail rig" look though so it gives you a little more leeway as far as fit/finish.

I like the concept of this thread, perhaps it could be a sticky once everyone's observations are made. I'd pay particular attention to Topher and others that have built most of these several times versus Googling/reading about what sucks. This is why I kept my comments mostly related to the Enduro platform, I have quite a few miles on mine and have driven it in different conditions.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Adding this - I spent waaaay too much time (yes, waaaay lol) searching for the 'perfect' rig when I was looking to move from 'freshman Scx10' to 'sophomore rig' status. I have since realized that I will probably eventually own 'one of each' of the bigs and probably numerous iterations of each (a good crawler, trailer, basher, MT)...every rig out there that costs $300 or more is in my opinion pretty stout, it should be once you pay that kind of money for a toy. They each have something wrong with them and something right with them, I don't think you would ever find one that ticks every box. I found it was easier to work backwards (start with what you want, not what the truck has) - each major category of 'want' is going to give you a decent subset. I know that is obvious and pretty much the point of your thread, I am rambling lol. /mini rant over
Old 01-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Gen8 V2:
Pros - Price, portals, great body, improved plastics, good shocks, decent tires, no memory foam, 25kg servo, decent aftermarket

Cons - big body, steering angle
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'd also say that some of these platforms are easier to work on than others. Like the elements axles are easy to completely disassemble and Carisma are some of the hardest, but it does offer a access plate to lube and dry out the pumpkin if needed which is nice. They seem similar on the surface until you really get into them.

For someone with a lot of rigs this can play a big part into it's enjoyment. Even having a rig that uses the same hardware for most of it can be a real help. I hear the new Gmade uses all kinds of different hardware at different lengths....

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 01-13-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Almost my entire Enduro is 2mm hex, not like the Axial that was a mix of 2.5 and 2 at random intervals lol. Good point.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

All my axial and element rigs have been kits. I see about the same design quality between the 2 but the element plastics hold threads much better. My power driver on the lowest torque settings runs them in nice and snug on both the gray and black plastics. While I have to stop and snug them by hand on the axial kits otherwise it strips the plastic out.
I feel like my element kits just fall together even with dealing with parts trees while the axial kits just don’t. I enjoy all the rigs once finished though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piranhaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

The Enduro with AR44s works great. Enduro axles are low pinion, more torque twist and less clearance. The TRX is easier to drive but once you learn its advantage is lost BUT portals do add clearance BUT the steering on an TRX isn't that great.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Anyone have any input on Cross AT4 EMO or Gmade Buffalo?

Best and Worst Attributes on these Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the worst chassis for rallying? rally racer #75 Rally 9 10-03-2018 09:01 AM
Worst Rc Purchase ever.. :( SteelAce Axial SCX-10 33 08-11-2014 03:33 PM
worst rc carnage? theloudone Chit Chat 2 03-24-2012 08:56 PM
worst day in a while murdock Chit Chat 13 06-17-2006 08:16 AM