Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

And stop YELLING if you want good advice.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
Bill F
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. ????

I said nothing bad or evil or wicked in my last post not even nasty nor did I beat up on anyone
since your new here the moderators are screening your posts for spam it has nothing to.do.with you or what your posting or what your saying so much as there just trying to keep the forum clean from spam bots

and heres the kicker the mods are realy buissy so it takes a long time to get out of posting probation these days
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Well I am Sorry!!!! What do you mean Yelling ?????

I am Sorry and do apologize for the out burst Sorry!

I just spent all most all day looking and reading the reviews and looking on this forum for the recommendation of parts replacement and upgrades for both the trx4 and the scx10iii !
I looked at everything TheLetterJ posted! in what to get and the reviews on them then looked at what, I Thought might be better from the user reviews!
Then like the previous post it did not get posted!! Why????
I spent some time on my last post taking everyone's help and advice here and broke it down to the parts you all have had to replace on these two crawler kits

A base line if you will of both traxxas and axial! As in how can traxxas sell a trx 4 in a crawler kit except the body for $370 and the axial crawler kit is $370 but with nothing but the chassis?
I spent some time looking for the froogle prices and all the other parts and the links to were I found these parts/upgrades.
Yes they were links to Amazon and Ebay and I think online hobby store.

I read the rules here it says nothing about posting links?? correct?? that is the only thing I can think that i did wrong in the two post that did not get posted!!
I did not bash or beat up no one did not criticize no one!
Then for the second time my post did not post
I spent a lot of time and research in that last post and the effort it took and it did not post.

That is were I got MAD!! I am Sorry for that!! But it was all that time putting it into words and posting it just to lose it! Maybe you can understand that? I hope you can!!
Bill F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #44
RCC Addict

The TRX4 rock crawler builders kit includes electronics but no bodyfor $370. The Axial 10iii builders kit includes a body but no electronics for $370.

If you are ok with the supplied electronics (I would be for my first rig) they cost more than a body if you add it all up. So the Traxxas in my opinion is the better value and has a few more features (like both dig and 2 speed). At noob level it keeps you from getting a headache about shopping for micro servers and other parts. Just build the kit, buy a 12.3” wheelbase body, and go wheeling.

It’s really not that complicated, don’t overthink it. If you enjoy the hobby you will buy more rigs.

I still say buy a Sport RTR and be done with it. No offense but you seem to be a little overwhelmed.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Bill, maybe try writing your posts in a Word document or similar. that way you can save it on your computer in case it doesn't get posted. Also, just give it some time, your posts will show up immediately.
On topic: Either rig will serve you well as a starter.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I am not overwhelmed, I just do not like losing time and effort!
We have five kids all grown up Are middle aged son is the Dennis the menace for breaking things even at age 28. how much does the top of the line Samsung cell phone cost ? $1000.
We paid for the first two broken or forgot it was in my back pocket and sat on it. the last 3 he broke he had to pay for or is still paying for!!

then I have read post here with words as to " I should have gotten that part instead or If I only known or If I ? "

I really really hate wasting time, effort and money!

I have helped so many people over the years to see that effort just waisted. advice not taken!

Like my fly fishing i have helped a lot of people learn to over head cast, spey cast, the basic roll cast and advice in to what rod and reels to get for what kind of fly fishing they want to do!

It would be like this After I posted this post and all of you helped and advised then i went out and got some cheesy cheap Chinese $50.00 4 inch tiny toy rc that runs on two aaa batteries
would you post any advice after I told you what I got!!!

I Hate Wasting Time and Effort !! I have been this way for as long as I can remember this I will not apologize for!!

From what I have read and from this forum this is a fun hobby ya I am kind of excited in getting my feet wet, wading into this crawler crud

Question as in for a battery charger for all the different lipo, life, nimh batteries what charger to get?
I have a power supply station I can turn from .03 volts up to 20 volts and It can adjust the amps output as well
a dc charger? an ac/dc charger?
I was looking at these two
UP100AC Duo Dual 2 Port 100Watt 10/6Amp ACDC Balancing Battery Charger
or
Lectron Pro 100W 6-Amp Dual Port LiPo LiFe LiHV NiMH NiCd Duo AC/DC Charger
Old 01-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I am Sorry!!!! What do you mean Yelling ?????
That's what all of the exclamation marks denote.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Bill it's a lot to take in for sure. I've been doing this since '86 so my advice has some merit, at least I think it should anyway. My best new user advice is to grab a trx4, capra or scx10.2-3 rtr since all of them have huge aftermarket and factory parts support you can't go wrong at all with any of them. I know you want to build the rig yourself but that can be a bit daunting to say the least and you may end up frustrated. Get an rtr and tear it apart if you want to double check things and know how it operates. Get a bearing kit from fast eddie bearings and change them all out so you know the rig has quality stuff in it and it gives you a chance to clean out the rtr grease and put something better in it like lucas red & tacky.

None of the rtr electronics are great but these days they're all good enough to start with for sure. Same with stock tires, yes there are way better to be had but stock will get the party started and give you a baseline to work up from.

I have been very happy with my dynomite duo charger. It's pretty decently priced and it can charge up to 6s as well as all the popular battery chemistries so it's a lifetime unit that won't likely need to be upgraded from any decade soon.

I always point new people to RPPhobby.com as a great source to buy from. They're a kick ass company that gives back to the community and they always have coupon codes to save you at least 10% and their shipping is stupid fast.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Holy smokes.

1. Deep breath
2. Learn how to fold origami animals
3. Buy Traxxas Sport rtr

Old 01-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Had to go into the big town today to home depot :( Seems like I live there and they like my wallet!

On the way home had to go the back roads due to a wreak, so I took the extra long way. Nice scenery and all that good stuff to look at!
The sign by the road said TOOL Sale!! the only time I stop at garage sales is when I am with my wife she lives for garage sales of any kind! Me no way but a TOOL Sale oh hell ya
The guy just started selling! Good to be one of the first one's there, a router bit set, some nice snap on socket sets and wrenches!
And this Car? or 4 wheel drive thing he could not tell me what it was but it was one of his sons old cars from a long time ago.
He did not know what brand or what it was but it was just as it was from way back when. He was asking $25. but I got it for $10. I figured what the heck?
Can some one tell what it is from the pictures if I can figure out how to upload them?? well it seems I Can't put a picture here
Old 01-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Well that is is new to me

That's what all of the exclamation marks denote.

Grammar has never been on my list of thing to be top notched in. To me it is like pushing a point? or seriously asking a Question!
looking back at my old school day now in grammar class I was always looking out the window and wondering how I could get out of them classes and get the the river!
Got busted one time playing hooky when I rode my bike past the school and went down to the sandy river to fish all day

So Grammar??? do you practice Grammar on your cell phone when you are texting?????????? ok my bad sorry!
I Will Try To Be Better At My Bed Side Grammar! I promise I will try :(
Old 01-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Had to go into the big town today to home depot :( Seems like I live there and they like my wallet!

On the way home had to go the back roads due to a wreak, so I took the extra long way. Nice scenery and all that good stuff to look at!
The sign by the road said TOOL Sale!! the only time I stop at garage sales is when I am with my wife she lives for garage sales of any kind! Me no way but a TOOL Sale oh hell ya
The guy just started selling! Good to be one of the first one's there, a router bit set, some nice snap on socket sets and wrenches!
And this Car? or 4 wheel drive thing he could not tell me what it was but it was one of his sons old cars from a long time ago.
He did not know what brand or what it was but it was just as it was from way back when. He was asking $25. but I got it for $10. I figured what the heck?
Can some one tell what it is from the pictures if I can figure out how to upload them?? well it seems I Can't put a picture here
The "one of his son's old cars from a long time ago" suggests to me this might be a toy grade RC rather than hobby grade. Toy grade is what you would typically find at Walmart for $50-$100 and is a non-serviceable RC, when anything breaks, it is done. Then again, you never know, you might get lucky . . . . . . .

To post pictures plus have additional benefits, you will need to be a paying member of the forum. $20 a year. I believe you can get around this by using an image host such as Imgur. Check this out -
Imgur - Embedding and Posting Photos

Also, I've been following this thread with interest. It is typical of just about every thread where someone new asks "what is the best RC for me to start off with". IMHO, I think TheLetterJ is right on with his suggestions. The Traxxas assembly instructions are top notch and easy for a newcomer to follow. The TRX4 Sport kit is perfect to get your feet wet. A good, solid, basic RC without all the finicky items like 2-speed trans and locking/unlocking diffs. The electronics he suggests are excellent to begin with and the least likely to have any issues.

Just my $0.02 worth.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:58 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

I done some digging on this 4 wheeler thing
square aluminum frame 4 wheel drive there was a name sticker ky the rest is gone the back has a motor it says kyosho 240 le-mans ?
there is a servo? to the front steering but now receiver there is a channel down the middle to the front? looks like a bracelet or could be some kind of chain?
All the wheels turn but ruff like? It has to have like a decade of dust imbedded
on it! The air nozzle got most of it off. It kind of looks cool it has no body but looks like good tires! I guess I don't to go to the good year tire store
Old 01-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #54
Sketchiness abounds...

Sounds like you may have scored a Kyosho chain drive vehicle, which is quite interesting. If you can clean it up and get it running it can actually be worth something...

Kyosho Optima?

Last edited by durok; 01-24-2021 at 07:26 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

durok could have something there. Does the chassis look something like this? If so, check out this -
https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Optima...t_p_24246.html
Attached Images

nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

oh man those optimas were insane i used to run with a guy who had one back in the 80s i thought i had a badass buggie but i couldent touch the optima
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

that is what it looks like but has more to it there is a black plate on top??
but there seems to be a bit more aluminum on the sides.
My son came over and took in into town to see if someone can tell what it is fur sure.
But looking online at some old pictures all or most of the night it looks like you picture NightCrawler but it looks more like this in this picture

https://www.rccaraction.com/wp-conte...60106_0086.jpg
Old 01-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

but the shocks are gold color?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #59
Sketchiness abounds...

There were many variants of the Optima, and similar chain drive chassis used by other vintage Kyosho vehicles - also, gold shocks could either come on one of those other models, or simply be an upgrade done by the owner. I'd carefully clean it up and take some detailed pictures, and post them up - once you figure out what you have, you could gauge others interest level, make yourself some real pocket money towards a new crawler!

There's a lot of interest in the collector market for vintage Kyosho and Tamiya vehicles...

Just search on eBay for "chain drive Kyosho", or "vintage Kyosho"

Last edited by durok; 01-24-2021 at 02:38 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Vanquish vs410 pro

Not in this situation, a good first truck is the some version of the TRX4 or SCX10iii. The VS410 is for when you are a little more experienced and know you want the best you can buy.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Maxstone 1/8 Rock Crawler-Any good?? fyrfytr Newbie General 4 11-16-2014 10:57 PM
What is a good price for a losi mini rock crawler? sixhundred71 Newbie General 3 07-02-2011 08:05 PM
Traxxas Summit a good rock crawler? VeryBumpy Non Crawler RC's 6 05-15-2009 06:40 PM
Is there any good way to make a T-MAXX a good rock crawler? Crazy Frog Newbie General 5 01-14-2008 07:03 PM