Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

Yes I am new to all this!
My Passion is Fly Fishing!!! But at certain times of the day I stop fishing!
( that's when the fish stop biting )
So back at the car eating lunch, a father and son were doing the same thing!
Then the father opened the back hatch and dumped well this small looking truck on the ground and handed over the receiver to his son and with a woo hoo sound of the kid went spinning rocks and dirt everywhere!!
Then the father came over to " Hey how is it going old timer? Can I pick your brain on why you are catching fish on a fly and we are not?? "
Don't worry he said as I watched rock flying everywhere Kyle know not to get close to anyone's cars or truck with the Rock Slinger!
Rock Slinger I said? The father said ya that is the trucks name Rock Slinger!
So after eating lunch and get my brain plucked I said My turn!!
The father said fair enough shoot!!
What the hell is that thing pointing to that truck his son was running over everything with!! That he said is my custom built rock crawler but with a big block motor to thro rocks so Kyle my youngest son will have some fun when we don't catch fish! really I said custom built? Yup he said my wife and I wanted two kids a boy and a girl the first five were boy's I said no more! But the wife over ruled me and number six came along and it ended up a girl!!
the next thing I knew I was in a surgery room getting my reportative parts all tied up!! then I was told to figure out how I was to keep the boy's Happy after giving up my manhood! so besides fishing we got into rc cars and it has kind of taken over 1/4 of my shop at home. We got close to 24 rc cars and trucks of all kinds and I think enough parts on hand to build two or three more!!
So I said does that thing only thro rocks?? knop! swap the motor and it is a bad as rock crawler! he pointed up the rock bank to are left and said he could crawl that truck right up to the top!! I had a small laugh and he gave me a side evil eye look and said come on I will show you!
he got his son to hand over the truck and he got out this big chest from the back popped the body off and twenty minutes of wrenching got a different motor installed and a new battery pack then took that truck right up that rock wall!! That is what a good rock crawler will do he said!!
About an hour later we went back to fishing!!

That was last summer and at 60 years of age that kid part of my mind is saying hey you need one! You know it you want one! Just go get one! my kid part keeps saying this over and over!!
Off to the hobby store or stores and rc tracks!! then tons of reading online reviews and yes the YouTube thing on top of it all!! the Hobby shops want to sell you what they have left on hand the track says traxxas trx 4 or axial scx10 iii are the best then I read about his crawler and that one till my eye's go crossed and I shut off my computer and have to recoup for a week, then i start all over again! I tell my wife the kid is making me do this when she ask what am I looking for? I tell her what I want I would like to get a rc rock crawler so when the fish stop biting I can go rock crawling and to run over rattle snakes when they come into camp!! You have enough dam toys you do not need anther old man just get over it! Now that kid is determined to get a rock crawler!!!!

May I ask of all you you out here that have experience with all that is out there what one in a kit form ( I think I would like to put what ever I get together myself I do not want a RTR! ) I am told that traxxas has the most parts and parts support then axial and there is a name I can't remember.

I would just like to when I take a break from fishing or at home to just crawl over rocks and have fun doing it! I know what I like looking at what is out there!
But I do not wish to tip any advice as to what to get from this posting

So if you were to get only 1 rock crawler with all that is out there what one would it be!

Thank You
Bill F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2021, 04:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

lol your in for it lol.

my opinion is it dosent mater what rig you get your gona have fun with it your gona break it and then upgrade it then and then and then
i have a few rigs in the under $100 range and there just as much fun as the custom built $1500 rigs and ill run them side by side and have just as much fun with cheap ones as i do the exspensive ones

you cant go wrong with the trx4 or the scx10s the element enduro is pulling up the #3 spot in the ranks with redcat sticking around the 4th spot

in my opinion figure out what you want in a truck first then pick out the model that doze that the best
the trx4 the scx10s and enduros are l scale rigs sure thsre crawl rocks but are not true rock crawlers so if you want a rig that climbs like a spider and looks like a alian then you dont want a scale rig but if you want to have a rig that looks like your favorite truck or a jeep or a jeep or a jeep that you can trick out with nerdy scale stuff you want a scaler
then theres the independent suspention or solid axle or independent front and solid rear
basicly the best rig is hard question to answer
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ferp nailed it, I was going to say scx10iii and trx4 are great rigs along with enduro sendero and red cat gen8, the gen8 axe edition has some great electronics stock. Whatís more important to you, scaled looks or capabilities? Do you prefer something that will be a dedicated CRAWLER <10mph or is slinging rocks more important? I started on a scx10ii, many upgrades later itís very capable and durable but it wonít do what a motor on axle (Moa) rig will and Iím ok with that because I like the scale look. Itís slow and fun to crawl with but now Iím wanting something fast like a Baja Rey or axialís new ryft. A Capra is kind of a middle ground on ability and scale, more capable than a scx10, looks more realistic than a moa rig. Thereís no one rig do all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Fun Factor, little maintenance needed, SCX10III is a sweet package, good looks and performance.
That said with all of the options you will have a fun time wheeling

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

TRX4 (Bronco, Blazer, Defender) is a good choice. It has a two speed transmission with a pretty big difference between the two gears. You may not get as much difference as changing motors, but the low gear crawls great, and the high gear goes considerably faster. Parts support is good, as Traxxas tends not to change their trucks too often.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #6

I can relate to your story Bill F. I am almost 60 years old and bought my first crawler kit a month ago. I sold my four wheeler cause my wife said I had too many toys and if I wanted another one, I'd have to sell something. But, the funds from the four wheeler sale gave me a good budget to buy RC stuff, so that actually worked out ok. I chose the TRX-4 because of the many positive reviews about the platform, the wide availability of parts and upgrades, and one of the teenage boys around here has one, and once I drove it, I knew I wanted one. I chose the TRX-4 Sport Kit because I wanted to build it myself, see how it was all put together, and also add better electronics than what comes with the RTR version. I have spent a lot of time on forums and Youtube researching the build and upgrades and I am loving every minute if it. It has helped me through this pandemic, giving me something fun to focus on. I am about a third of the way through the build right now. The transmission and axles are built, the chassis is put together. the motor is in, and now I'm working on connecting the ESC. I think the TRX-4 Sport Kit is great and would highly recommend it. There are plenty of parts out there to build it the way you want, and if you do want to go quicker as well as crawl, there are some options for brushless motors that will handle both crawling and speed. For me, I wanted a crawler, because I know this won't be my last RC Truck, Once this is done, well, I'll probably build another one, lol.
north55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm newish to the rc world and my first crawler was a China knock off of the Axial Honcho ( remo 1093-st) it was cheaper, worked great out of the box and if I didn't like the hobby I wasn't out a ton of $. However 1 year later and getting the itch to customize I wish I bought Axial for the few $ more, because of the amount of aftermarket parts that just bolt on with out me having to modify. So the scx10II honcho is a good price point for start.

With that said I'm now 7 rc's in and love the hobby. The remo has become the project truck that will probably end up completely changed at one point. I have a trx-4 g500 that is my every use crawler for hiking, I have an Infraction to go parking lot bashing, a Kraton for everything bashing and jumping, a clod because it was my first rc back in the Early 90's when I was 17 and so one lol.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Grnjetta6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you want to build it yourself, and want it to be fairly kid-proof pick up either a Trx4 sport, or regular trx4 kit. Very durable, plenty capable, and very well supported in the aftermarket.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
into the ether...

Vanquish vs410 pro
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Yah, Vanquish. You'll be at that price point once you are done strapping 10lbs of Samix and Yeah Racing bits to your Traxxas lol. Or straight axle conversion on your Axial. Or aftermarket everything on your Gen8. Or high clearance links and the whole SSD catalogue to your Enduro. That crap adds up real quick. If I had to pick one it would be the one that doesn't need upgrading.
Phildirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Sketchiness abounds...

If I were starting all over knowing what I know now, for example if all my existing RCs were stolen (heaven forbid!) - I would get the SSD Trail King as my scale crawler.

Many of my RCs have SSD upgrades, and they are all the better for it - and the Trail King is both an excellent performer and chock-full of scale touches not available in most competitors.

Pair it with a HobbyWing WP1080 ESC, and a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport motor, a Holmes SHV500 servo, and a Flysky Noble FS-NB4 radio.

Not the most expensive setup, but not the cheapest, either - however it lacks for nothing, feature-wise for what I need.

Lastly I'd choose a body that appealed to me (personally I'd probably adapt a HiLux hardbody cab and one of the fancy CCHand beds to fit), SSD or Boom Racing wheels, and RC4WD scale tires.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
A truant finds home...

Welcome to rock crawling and welcome to RCC! This place is a treasure trove of knowledge, so take the time to soak it all in. You will find lots of people or threads have the answers to the questions you have. Has saved me a lot of money and headaches!

Probably the first place I would start would be asking myself how I plan on using the truck, trailing or rock crawling?

My answer to that when I got into this side of RC was rock crawling, so I picked up an Element Enduro kit. I found myself upgrading as I became more confident in the truck and in my driving abilities. Its a very capable rig and my upgrades were just meant to try to get a little more out of it based on what I was experiencing while running it.

Fast forward almost two years and my stable of rigs has expanded. I now have a VS4-10 Pro and Ultra, and those have become my primary rigs when I find time to hit the rocks. As mentioned above, the only upgrades or decisions to make with the VS4s is what electronics and tires you want to put on them.

Regardless of what rig you end up with, you will have fun. This is a great hobby and I have just as much fun with any rig that I run.

Looking forward to hearing what you pick up!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ???

I have never bought any crawler kits or rtrís but if I have to buy a basic, reliable rig now it will most definitely be a trx4 sport. Trxís are tough. Yes, scx10ís too, but it will be a trx. Its easy enough to go trail rig or semi decent Ďrock crawlerí with it.

If I need to buy a kit for crawling exclusively, it will be a scx10ii chassis kit and buy the appropriate parts for clinging onto rocks.

I enjoy trailing and the more scale side of the hobby.

Decide if you want to crawl or trail first I think, crawling will demand more attention, time and $ís to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If you think you want to get into it hardcore and want a trailing rig/rock crawler i'd have to go with the Trail King with a Carisma ARC-2 Esc or Hobbywing 1080 and Holmes Crawlmaster motor. Radio Link 4 channel Radio and Promodeler 470 Servo. Pro-line Krawler King tires in predator compound and Pro-Built wheels by Boom Racing from Asia Tees. This would be a rig i'd want to build today.

If want a bit of a cheaper option and want RTR and don't mind ordering replacement parts online then i'd grab the new SCA-1E 2.1 RTR. Although it's hard to break these or the SCX-10 ii RTR.

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 01-21-2021 at 01:50 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
the one that doesn't need upgrading.
That's what I told my wife when I got the VS4-10 Origin. Then I got the VFD trans plus the overdrive gears. I liked the look of the new plastic bumpers, so I got those along with the chassis braces required to run them. Then I went with the plastic rock sliders since they slide across rocks better than aluminum. Just those things put me north of couple hundred over the price on my truck that doesn't need upgrading. I'm not even including the wheels and tires I put on it.

But as far as my wife knows, that truck has never been upgraded.
GA Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
That's what I told my wife when I got the VS4-10 Origin. Then I got the VFD trans plus the overdrive gears. I liked the look of the new plastic bumpers, so I got those along with the chassis braces required to run them. Then I went with the plastic rock sliders since they slide across rocks better than aluminum. Just those things put me north of couple hundred over the price on my truck that doesn't need upgrading. I'm not even including the wheels and tires I put on it.

But as far as my wife knows, that truck has never been upgraded.
Wife never needs to know....anything If she did know she'd probably divorce me and take most of it. Haha. Hide it and hide it well
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Given the information provided I'd say a trx4 is going to be pretty bombproof in your use. I run the crap out of mine and I haven't even lost a shift servo yet which is a minor miracle in itself.

The scx10.2 is a great rig too but being a true axial fanboi I find myself dumping money on them where the trx4 is stock other than tires & wheels shocks, steering servo and motor/esc being brushless. It's just a tank. Not the most capable rig in my stable but the fun factor of not having to worry about breakage is awesome.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 01-21-2021 at 07:17 PM.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
Wife never needs to know....anything If she did know she'd probably divorce me and take most of it. Haha. Hide it and hide it well
Yeah, probably the most valuable lesson I have picked up from these forums is to have things shipped to your work if possible. I mix it up a bit and have some parts sent to the house just so its not too obvious. Thank god she doesn't know how much some of the electronics cost.
Boomer75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

My wife knows how much I spend. We're adults who don't have to hide anything from each other. She just assumes that the upgrades are for the $300 trucks and not the $800 truck.
GA Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The wife and I use a budget app, there’s a Phildirt category (no it’s not really called that) and I find more satisfaction in staying under budget than acquiring more things.
Phildirt is online now   Reply With Quote

I would Like to get Just 1 Good Rock Crawler what one ??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Maxstone 1/8 Rock Crawler-Any good?? fyrfytr Newbie General 4 11-16-2014 10:57 PM
What is a good price for a losi mini rock crawler? sixhundred71 Newbie General 3 07-02-2011 08:05 PM
Traxxas Summit a good rock crawler? VeryBumpy Non Crawler RC's 6 05-15-2009 06:40 PM
Is there any good way to make a T-MAXX a good rock crawler? Crazy Frog Newbie General 5 01-14-2008 07:03 PM