Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Capra Vs Gatekeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Capra Vs Gatekeeper

I am looking for information from people who have driven both the Capra and the Gatekeeper. Most of my driving is just casual runs on hiking/walking trails with some rocks thrown in with a couple friends. I currently have a couple SCX10.1's and a Trailfinder 2 but I'm getting the itch to build something new and like the look of the open wheel buggy style.

Is one better than the other for mainly trail drives?

Thank you.
Hypn0t1q79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Capra Vs Gatekeeper

In my opinion, and I have a Capra and had a Gatekeper, the Capra is a much better pure crawler, the wider axles make it sidehill a lot better. I felt the Gatekeeper was a great trail rig and could be made to crawl well but not like a Capra
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
In my opinion, and I have a Capra and had a Gatekeper, the Capra is a much better pure crawler, the wider axles make it sidehill a lot better. I felt the Gatekeeper was a great trail rig and could be made to crawl well but not like a Capra
What he said.

Here’s an easy way to look at it. If you were rock crawling and trailing 50/50, either would serve you well. Now, the further that split favors trailing, the Gatekeeper is the rig for you. The further that split favors rock crawling, the Capra is your rig. If you mainly want to trail then the Capra transmission with dig wouldn’t interest you much. Also, the Gatekeeper is geared for a bit more speed and has a drivetrain that is much more free. So, given your stated use I would easily recommend the Gatekeeper.
And yes, I have both.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input. After some thinking I am likely going to go capra just for the extra capability. If it turns out I don't enjoy it I'll see about swapping it for a gatekeeper.
Hypn0t1q79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

I looked at both and chose the Capra... and i spent quite a while reading up on both.. IMO the Capra is better suited for the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:07 AM   #6

Just my opinion i have both the problem with both is the high CG which out of the box the Capra being wider handel's better, both need low down weight. The Gatekeeper kit with the upgraded plastics optional extra on rtr in my opinion better choice. The Gatekeeper has a lot more more room under the shell, the Capra better at crawling but a pain to fit everything in on the kit version and a rip off that you have to bye the servo to get the bits for the dig.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Alec4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec4now View Post
Just my opinion i have both the problem with both is the high CG which out of the box the Capra being wider handel's better, both need low down weight. The Gatekeeper kit with the upgraded plastics optional extra on rtr in my opinion better choice. The Gatekeeper has a lot more more room under the shell, the Capra better at crawling but a pain to fit everything in on the kit version and a rip off that you have to bye the servo to get the bits for the dig.

Good points. The high center of gravity issue with both trucks is easily minimized doing the “pen spring mod” when building/rebuilding the shocks and is cheap to do. Axle/portal weights definitely help a lot. I have Treal brass portal covers on my Capra and ordering the SSD ones for my Gatekeeper. I like weight on the front axles only, but that suits how I drive, and I don’t go as heavy as possible. If my memory serves me correct I think I have about 85 grams on each of the front portals on my Capra and did the pen spring mod and it climbs amazing.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #8

Love my Capra. Upgraded the tires and wheels, did the spring mod and also added Treal brass to the front portals. That’s it. Beast of a rock crawler.
Marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcvader View Post
Love my Capra. Upgraded the tires and wheels, did the spring mod and also added Treal brass to the front portals. That’s it. Beast of a rock crawler.
I had a set of 1.9 Hyraxes mounted on wheels and ready to go, but threw on a backup set of 2.2 JConcepts Rocx that I had as a backup set from my Losi Comp Crawler. I’m in awe with how good the Capra crawls. My Losi was REALLY good and this thing is just so much better. Was doing things easily that my friend’s GOM couldn’t handle last time out too. Such a great rig.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:25 AM   #10

Agreed i have the same on my Capra and my Gatekeeper went with slightly wider hex. Pen mod on Capra still tuning the Gatekeeper work in progress but do like the team shocks on the kit

Old 03-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

is there anything that beats a capra in pure rock crawling?
Tim1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1987 View Post
Yes ...my Gspeed V3
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Can you build something better at crawling, likely with enough money and tuning.

But for an out of the box rig the Capra is very impressive and needs only minor gearing and suspension tuning to conquer the roughest terrain.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:41 AM   #14

Anything better than a Capra probably a specially built MOA crawler, but at considerable more cost.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1987 View Post
Sure there is. Depends on what you are crawling on and who and what you are crawling against.

I comp and have seen people try to comp with them and they are not impressive. They are wide and awkward. Of course if you are not trying to get through tight gates and can pick (or let it pick) what ever line there is they would probably be just fine compared to other RTRs.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Capra Vs Gatekeeper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Gatekeeper vs Capra nielsm Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 20 11-12-2021 05:55 AM
"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw Gavin Ayala Axial AX10 2nd-gen 40 09-24-2020 09:25 AM
New Gatekeeper GC-3A jdawg53 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 516 11-29-2011 06:34 PM
Gatekeeper ? SMUDGEBUG Chit Chat 19 11-05-2009 05:28 AM