Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Link risers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Link risers

General questions about upper link risers:

I saw that they decrease rear squat and make the truck climb better, is this true?

Is it only necessary to raise one end of the link? For example, I have seen add-on link risers for the rear axle side, and for the chassis side. I am thinking about the scaler fab skidplates with built-in link risers, will I get the climbing improvement if I raise the link at the chassis side only or do I need to raise the link at the axle too?

Are there other mods that must go along with raising the link to get the advantage? i.e. laying forward the rear shock

Thanks!
borlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Link risers

link geomitry is kinda a personal prefferance if your soft on the throtle and slow crawl everything with vary little full throtle your set up will be different than if your heavy on the throtle and prefer more of a bouncer style of driving and diferent again if your alittle of both
there is no right or wrong just how the rig feels to the person driving it
from what i understand from what ive herd from the 1:1 guys is to set the suspension at a netral or 0 anti squat then tune the suspention with the shocks

personaly i leave the front stock and add alittle squat in the rear with link risers trying to get that big zero
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For a technical read...

Another 4 Link Thread

I have been in the hobby a long time, but still struggle to wrap my head around Anti Squat... but my understanding is lifting the front of the rear links up increases anti squat on a scx skid increasing anti squat allowing better climbing.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i think thats backwards but i could be wrong

to bad that link dosent have pictures anymore it would probably make more sense if it did

i think it was busted knuckes on youtube that did a break down on anti squat and how it relates to rock bouncers and crawlers it made alot of sence if you can find it watch it
yup
https://youtu.be/UzayUxQCWaY

Last edited by ferp420; 04-11-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies and the links, I will get into those and do some learning.

My application is more crawling than bouncing.

Appreciate the info, all.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlo View Post
General questions about upper link risers:

I saw that they decrease rear squat and make the truck climb better, is this true?
The common term is anti-squat when referring to the rear suspension fyi. Increasing vertical link separation at only the axle will increase anti-squat.

There's a lot of other numbers at play, but I wouldn't go chasing numbers. If you have a problem behavior you could plug your setup into a 4-link calculator and see if there's something out of whack.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
there is no right or wrong just how the rig feels to the person driving it
from what i understand from what ive herd from the 1:1 guys is to set the suspension at a netral or 0 anti squat then tune the suspention with the shocks
For full size rigs, there are absolutely right and wrong. Of course there are loads of "right" ways to make a link suspension work. There are also a lot of ways that don't work or are just unsafe.

For 1:1, I think the only place you'll see 0, or really low AS, would be high speed desert stuff, though there are surely others. My current setup in my crawler is 68% anti-squat. I think anywhere on the 50-100% range is common for crawlers.

Jake does a great job explaining the basic concepts.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Also, here are some risers I made for front and rear on my crawler. Just a simple aluminum plate to allow 2 higher mount positions so I could experiment with anti-squat and anti-dive numbers.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Also, here are some risers I made for front and rear on my crawler. Just a simple aluminum plate to allow 2 higher mount positions so I could experiment with anti-squat and anti-dive numbers.

How do you like those kyx axles? Pretty sure you can gear them lower then the ar60s right? Higher pinion output, more clearance under the pumpkin. Just curious if they could hold up to say, a puller pro on 4s? Yours looks fairly new, but I'd figure I'd ask anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
For full size rigs, there are absolutely right and wrong. Of course there are loads of "right" ways to make a link suspension work. There are also a lot of ways that don't work or are just unsafe.

For 1:1, I think the only place you'll see 0, or really low AS, would be high speed desert stuff, though there are surely others. My current setup in my crawler is 68% anti-squat. I think anywhere on the 50-100% range is common for crawlers.

Jake does a great job explaining the basic concepts.
if building from scratch it would.be posable to tottaly fubar it but i think when working with kits or premade stuff the set up becomes more preferance cause your working within set peramiters like say a rc with link risers
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
if building from scratch it would.be posable to tottaly fubar it but i think when working with kits or premade stuff the set up becomes more preferance cause your working within set peramiters like say a rc with link risers
No offense but your posts are hard to read
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
How do you like those kyx axles? Pretty sure you can gear them lower then the ar60s right? Higher pinion output, more clearance under the pumpkin. Just curious if they could hold up to say, a puller pro on 4s? Yours looks fairly new, but I'd figure I'd ask anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
They have been good for me so far. They are basically wraith width ar44s. The locker and gears are ar44, and the shafts, knuckles, etc. are ar60. Gearing is 30/8, so a bit lower than the ar60. The housing is solid as long as you tighten and thread lock everything, just like all the China axles. I'm running a Slate 2280kv on 3s crawling and no problems so far. All the internals should be compatible with axial parts if/when they break.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
No offense but your posts are hard to read
why thank you sir thats the nicest thing anybody has sead to me all day

Last edited by ferp420; 04-12-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
why thank you sir thats the nicest thing anybody has sead to me all day
You are welcome , brother !
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #15

So if I understand it correctly moving the upper link mount upwards on the chassis will equal less anti-squat than stock, and moving the link up on the axle will lead to more anti-squat.

Next step, when I get the parts, will be to experiment and see which one improves climbing performance. Fun times ahead!

Link risers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear link risers mjh General Crawlers 2 06-01-2020 04:14 AM
trying to find link risers kushboss Axial Wraith 0 08-26-2019 05:23 PM
Wraith link risers? Brainstain Axial Wraith 5 01-30-2018 07:41 AM
Upper link risers Vagos2 Newbie General 0 06-30-2017 08:17 AM
Ascender Link Risers Nick1975 Vaterra Ascender 1 12-28-2015 03:33 PM