Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need to discharge my SCX24 battery! Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 PM   #1

Default Need to discharge my SCX24 battery! Help!

My Axial SCX24 Jeep came in today and I had some fun with it before realizing: How am I supposed to discharge these LiPo batteries for storage? I also have a Spektrum S150 for charging (which unfortunately does not discharge).

I also have a Traxxas EX Peak Live capable of discharging which maybe I could use? Am I missing something completely obvious here? I can't find any super useful info online.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Charcitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Need to discharge my SCX24 battery! Help!

I would just run it in the truck until it runs low, then store it away after that. As long you don't let it sit around fully charged, you should be fine.
Or, just be like me and use it for a little bit every few days or so. No need for storage mode that way ��
Xcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I just charge them and store them full. I know they say to store them at a given voltage. For the last 12 years that I have dabbled with LIPO batteries I have never had an issue storing them at full charge.

The only time I have had issues with LIPO is when they have been stored dead. Once they are dead for a period of time they cannot be recovered.

Let the flaming begin .
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't overthink it.

Storage charge is what would be considered "best practice" but by no means is it absolutely necessary. Just charge them and leave them full or if you're really concerned just run the truck until (by guestimate) the battery is about half used.

Honestly, I've been using LiPos for somewhere around 10 years and I rarely remember to use a storage charge. My packs almost always get stored either dead or fully charged. Have I seen any negative effects from that? Probably, I've likely shortened the life cycle of those packs a little. But has there ever been any massive detriment? Nope, my batteries tend to last at least 2-4 years before I retire them and I've never seen a significant drop in capacity.

imo, the most important things are to not leave them completely dead because voltage drop over time can bleed them down below 3.0V/cell which renders the battery garbage and store them in a room temperature environment - no extreme heat or cold. And always balance charge, always (but I think you know that one already).
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Don't overthink it.

Storage charge is what would be considered "best practice" but by no means is it absolutely necessary. Just charge them and leave them full or if you're really concerned just run the truck until (by guestimate) the battery is about half used.

Honestly, I've been using LiPos for somewhere around 10 years and I rarely remember to use a storage charge. My packs almost always get stored either dead or fully charged. Have I seen any negative effects from that? Probably, I've likely shortened the life cycle of those packs a little. But has there ever been any massive detriment? Nope, my batteries tend to last at least 2-4 years before I retire them and I've never seen a significant drop in capacity.

imo, the most important things are to not leave them completely dead because voltage drop over time can bleed them down below 3.0V/cell which renders the battery garbage and store them in a room temperature environment - no extreme heat or cold. And always balance charge, always (but I think you know that one already).
Very well put!
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discharge, scx24

Need to discharge my SCX24 battery! Help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Issue-Possible over discharge Hub Electronics 9 05-17-2014 09:46 PM
Battery discharge? fsadvar Electronics 4 07-02-2013 10:05 AM
Battery Chemistry and Discharge Harvo Electronics 1 06-22-2008 04:52 PM
Discharge/Charge battery charger. MOfroggy Electronics 17 10-25-2007 10:38 AM
Safe Battery Discharge Temp? Cake Eater Electronics 9 05-23-2006 09:19 PM