Default Re: What's Axial up to?

There is a metal pan hard mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #82
RCC Addict

IMO its the best looking and most detailed RTR lexan body out there. Very nice. There are lots of small details on the body and chassis that take this thing to the next level.

Axial has always been pretty expensive for what you're getting. This has a ton of features and nicer parts than most of their other stuff so its naturally going to be priced even higher. The 2 in one ESC thing doesnt bother me. I usually either use stock ESC and RX or toss them both and put my own stuff in. Most often, its the latter.

I wish they would make a pro builders kit slider with the AR45s and all the higher end parts but no body, tires, electronics, etc. Just chassis, drivetrain, and suspension.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

I'm a bit confused on some of the choices here. Especially the wheels. This is a rendition of a fairly well modified trail use Bronco. Twin stick transfercase, custom bumpers. No top, full cage with spare mount integrated, tube doors, etc. Then they decide to put wheels on this thing that are completely out of place. Polished Al wheels with knockoffs? Really? IRL this thing would be running steel homemade beadlocks or some pricey Raceline, Method, or KMC true beadlocks. Also, not going to be running a radial A/T tire. Bias Boggers, TSL's, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot (it's not a freaking Jeep!) but if I get it, there is a lot I would want to change. Hopefully they make a kit. Also, kit should have a dyeable cage like the Ryft.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Choice of wheels is perflectly legit ... check-out Big Oly ... they don't depic an actual Bronco, more a vintage one.

tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I'm a bit confused on some of the choices here. Especially the wheels. This is a rendition of a fairly well modified trail use Bronco. Twin stick transfercase, custom bumpers. No top, full cage with spare mount integrated, tube doors, etc. Then they decide to put wheels on this thing that are completely out of place. Polished Al wheels with knockoffs? Really? IRL this thing would be running steel homemade beadlocks or some pricey Raceline, Method, or KMC true beadlocks. Also, not going to be running a radial A/T tire. Bias Boggers, TSL's, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot (it's not a freaking Jeep!) but if I get it, there is a lot I would want to change. Hopefully they make a kit. Also, kit should have a dyeable cage like the Ryft.

I beg to differ, this is the exact wheel that would be on the Bronco considering this picture of my grandfather’s race Bronco from 1972 had them. Same with his “prototype prerunner” that he still has from the 60’s with the same wheels

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #86
RCC Addict

The wheels are period correct. The tires are mud terrain Falkens, not ATs and they look fairly old school even though they are a newish design.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

I'm not saying the wheels aren't period correct, I'm just saying they don't fit the style of the rest of the rig. All those Broncos that you guys posted pics of seem to be desert race ( the Big Old one has what looks to be twin I-beam front suspension!) setups except for the last one which looks stock with some soft doors and some wheels and cut fenders. Something like this one is what I am picturing it as (notice the wheels):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8RsBzpUFs
Old 07-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Default What's Axial up to?

If you read the description on Axials website it literally mentions the Baja 1000 heritage and that’s exactly what it resembles. Trust me, in 1972 it may have been “desert racing” but these things were not moving anywhere near as fast as the stuff is today let alone 25 years ago. It’s very period correct, I think this is meant to be a trail rig not modeled after a hardcore rock crawler.

Last edited by Fricker08; 07-23-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

What was the beadlock offering in the 70s ? not much if any, beadlocks are a thing of todays trucks ... back then you used the same steelies or aluminum wheels you'd use for everyday use.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:02 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

What were the engine offerings in the 70’s? Certainly not a current gen 5.0 Mustang engine which is what the motor cover is molded after…

You are correct, after reading the description on the website they do explain a lot of things. I initially watched the video which depicts it as a crawler/trail rig. I guess that is where my assumptions came from. Combine that with the fact it depicts a modern V8 for motivation and that’s how I got where I am.

Last edited by JDM74; 07-24-2021 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:40 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Hrmpf. 2-in-1 esc/rx.. yuck. And for that amount of moolah??
Don’t get me wrong, I really like the base package, but that electronics package screams ‘china-beginner-model’ and makes the actual rig look rather cheap on paper, which is a shame, because the truck is most certainly nòt aimed at beginners with a small purse.

Body is absolutely perfect. Finally a full interior again. I have só missed those since the original Wraith.

Let’s hope Axial will produce a builders’ kit pretty soon after the RTR. The Big Oly pic makes me already ponder stickers to print. Or make it a “Bronco Wildcat” in neon-green. Sound generator with a burly V-8 ( or maybe even a V-10, if I can get the samples I have to behave) sound in it, just to annoy the neighbours.... Practical? Not really. Speaker makes stuff top-heavy, but ( childish, I know- ) fun..
It’ll be my 3rd Bronco, if the kit comes out.. there’s a pattern here

By the by, after studying the Axial page for a bit, it seems there’s no space for a 550. Bit of a shame. Though, I got plenty of 5-slot 540’s around, but still..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 07-24-2021 at 04:02 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:58 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
What were the engine offerings in the 70’s? Certainly not a current gen 5.0 Mustang engine which is what the motor cover is molded after…
A Windsor or Cleveland cover would have been great but as meaningless under a closed hood and as disputable depending on each's flavor.
At least it's a Coyote, not some random Chevy block that'll be out of place except for broke rednecks, so it'll fit to whoever decides to open the hood and run modern beadlocks, and still be ok for a restomod with vintage look up to the wheels but running modern mechanics.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:09 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
A Windsor or Cleveland cover would have been great but as meaningless under a closed hood and as disputable depending on each's flavor.
At least it's a Coyote, not some random Chevy block that'll be out of place except for broke rednecks, so it'll fit to whoever decides to open the hood and run modern beadlocks, and still be ok for a restomod with vintage look up to the wheels but running modern mechanics.
100% agree. I did some research and headlock wheels were first used in about 1980 but I believe it was in dirt track racing. They were experimented with in the 70's by some wheel manufactures.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Big fan of the original US Indy Mags like on the Hall/Fricker truck, but
not sure I like the these wheels, depends on how the knockoff retainers work…
I am looking forward to getting one of these and making it look like a Stroppe.
I think I will be swapping the dig servo over to the two speed trans to have
a little more high speed fun with it as well…
Braxton, do you have any more pics of your grandpas rig? I have seen this one
before, but would love to see more. I see the roll bar, but does it have any other
Stroppe modifications on it?
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Default Re: What's Axial up to? (Axial SCX10III Bronco)

Hey House, that would be badass painted up like a stroppe.

I don’t have any more pics unfortunately. It has the stroppe roll bar and push bar. It had a soft top on it my whole childhood. Wasn’t until about 10 years ago he put a hard top on. But it’s got Ford experimental numbers and I believe there’s something about the power steering ran through a portion of the frame. It’s the real deal though and I plan on keeping that thing in the family for a long time.
I learned to drive in that truck, my dad would have a better idea, I’ll have to ask.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Cool, so probably Stroppe power steering as well, my favorite, very in-depth
frame mods and a new body mount needed to do that…
Definitely interested in what the Ford numbers are. My assumption was it was
a U13 Roadster. Send me a PM if you can find out more info. Thanks man!
Old 07-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Cool, so probably Stroppe power steering as well, my favorite, very in-depth
frame mods and a new body mount needed to do that…
Definitely interested in what the Ford numbers are. My assumption was it was
a U13 Roadster. Send me a PM if you can find out more info. Thanks man!

Definitely will do, my Bronco is an OG U13 roadster Vin

Old 07-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

RC Driver just posted up a review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCQz_zu7PiY

HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Yeah I remember yours is a U13 as well. Is there a brass tag riveted to the
firewall with some stamped numbers in it on your grandpas?

Nice video, thanks Humboldt.
Siskiyou
Old 07-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Here is my old V8 U13:

This kit would look nice similar to this too…

What's Axial up to? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM