Notices

Thread: Element Enduro Builder's Kit... 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Element Enduro Builder's Kit... 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
It really is amazing for the amount of popularity that there is no aftermarket upgrades for the axle housings. The first company that makes an Element housing with larger pinion bearings is going to sell a boat load of them.
What is amazing is anybody wanting to upgrade that axle.

The Enduro axle is a bad design. it is low pinion. Low pinion = less clearance and more torque twist. There is no good reason to waste money upgrading that axle.

The Enduro could probably be the best RTR if they would just update their axles.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
What is amazing is anybody wanting to upgrade that axle.

The Enduro axle is a bad design. it is low pinion. Low pinion = less clearance and more torque twist. There is no good reason to waste money upgrading that axle.

The Enduro could probably be the best RTR if they would just update their axles.
Low pinion isn't really a deal breaker for me. Slight improvement where i crawl, but how long do the pinion bearings last? I might try bushings and i have much better longevity with quality bushings than bearings.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
Low pinion isn't really a deal breaker for me. Slight improvement where i crawl, but how long do the pinion bearings last? I might try bushings and i have much better longevity with quality bushings than bearings.
the pinion is spinning at a decent speed. Not sure how bushing would work. I would think there would be a lot of friction and then heat.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

It would require new molds, but the element axle housing could be flipped and made to be high pinion - as the differential can be reversed in the housing already for front or rear axle use. (This is why it has the "stop sign" shape that some people aren't a fan of).

Or make an axle housing with a bolt on truss for the upper links that can be oriented for high or low pinion, the shock/lower link mounts can already be flipped.

Or just literally make a high pinion housing only - flipping the location of the pinion around

Or quite possibly the above idea is stupid and I have no idea what is going on. This is going entirely on the idea I have in my head that the front and rear housings are the same, and the differential can be reversed within said housing.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColton View Post
It would require new molds, but the element axle housing could be flipped and made to be high pinion - as the differential can be reversed in the housing already for front or rear axle use. (This is why it has the "stop sign" shape that some people aren't a fan of).

Or make an axle housing with a bolt on truss for the upper links that can be oriented for high or low pinion, the shock/lower link mounts can already be flipped.

Or just literally make a high pinion housing only - flipping the location of the pinion around

Or quite possibly the above idea is stupid and I have no idea what is going on. This is going entirely on the idea I have in my head that the front and rear housings are the same, and the differential can be reversed within said housing.

Or just buy on of many AR44 (or other axles) already made and supported.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
the pinion is spinning at a decent speed. Not sure how bushing would work. I would think there would be a lot of friction and then heat.
I resorted to bushings a few years back for the axles pinions and front c-hubs. Probably triple the life of the bearings i seemed to be replacing a couple times a year. I'll use Bearings in race buggies, but i find bushings to be much better suited for crawlers that see high load and mud/water more often than other RCs. I'll have to grab some 10x5x4 bushing for the Element....sucks they don;t use the standard 11x5x4

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 07-14-2021 at 08:39 AM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #47
Gold Star Baby!

I think they did a good job with this kit. Only increasing price $10 is nice after seeing other brands with bigger increases (‘21 bronco trx4 for example). The delrin pivot balls have my attention. I like the look of the bronze shocks more than the blue, don’t mind plastic caps but would have loved for black aluminum caps here. High clearance links are a nice touch/trade off for the 3 wb options. Are the trans gears plastic now? If so that lightens up the transmission a tad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColton View Post

Even flipped I don’t think it wouldn’t be a high pinion. The enduro pinion is basically in the middle of the axle so there would be nominal change there, if any. The ring gear being flippable may help for rear portal or 3rd axle set ups.

Between the small pinion bearing, the availability of replacement ring and pinion gears, and the pinion design itself, I’m with the others on just swapping to ar44s if you’re looking to upgrade much. The BTA steering is neat but not a deal breaker to lose in an axle swap.

With that being said, I do hold out hope that Ssd may make an axle upgrade here. They can probably use the same tubes from the pro44 and redesign the Diamond center section to work with the enduro ring and pinion while carrying a larger bearing. Maybe one day.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think they did a good job with this kit. Only increasing price $10 is nice after seeing other brands with bigger increases (‘21 bronco trx4 for example). The delrin pivot balls have my attention. I like the look of the bronze shocks more than the blue, don’t mind plastic caps but would have loved for black aluminum caps here. High clearance links are a nice touch/trade off for the 3 wb options. Are the trans gears plastic now? If so that lightens up the transmission a tad.

Even flipped I don’t think it wouldn’t be a high pinion. The enduro pinion is basically in the middle of the axle so there would be nominal change there, if any. The ring gear being flippable may help for rear portal or 3rd axle set ups.

Between the small pinion bearing, the availability of replacement ring and pinion gears, and the pinion design itself, I’m with the others on just swapping to ar44s if you’re looking to upgrade much. The BTA steering is neat but not a deal breaker to lose in an axle swap.

With that being said, I do hold out hope that Ssd may make an axle upgrade here. They can probably use the same tubes from the pro44 and redesign the Diamond center section to work with the enduro ring and pinion while carrying a larger bearing. Maybe one day.

This is true. When I got home from work and checked the axles on my truck and the pinion is indeed quite centered as you've stated.

BTA steering is cool, but indeed not a huge advantage. I have not experienced the pinion bearing issues, but I think that is because I put more mileage on my TRX-4 Sport kit with 2-speed. (Which I have chased all sorts of gremlins out of )
Also possible that I'm too forgiving of mediocre axles given there are two vehicles in my garage with Dana 30's.

I'll keep being a fan of Element, even with the shortcomings. Your mileage may vary, but I'm happy to have kit out there that isn't part of the Horizon Hobby machine. My recent experience with a Mojave EXB has tainted my opinion of HH entirely.

Last edited by CamoColton; 07-13-2021 at 06:00 PM.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
If SSD makes Pro Enduro Housings that keep the flippable ring/pinion, I'm totally there!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
I resorted to bushings a few years back for the axles pinions and front c-hubs. Probably triple the life of the bearings i seemed to be replacing a couple times a year. I'll use Bearings in race buggies, but i find bushings to be much better suited for crawlers that see high load and mud/water more often than other RCs. I'll have to grab some 10x5x4 bushing for the Element....sucks they don;t use the standard 11x5x4
I was so unhappy with the Enduro Axels that I wouldn't consider doing anything with them, they just don't work for me. BUT i have not had any durability issues with them either but they are only comped and not beat on. I have ruined about every stock axial ring gear I have had. Even then I use the AR 44s and would not want Enduro axials.

I do have the Enduro axles in my sons C2 build with Brazin Chassis and TGH 2low. He is fine with them, to me the torque twist makes them "not dig in" when climbing. I do have more weight in the front wheels of them, 30% Over drive, I have adjusted the rear susp to help with he squat/anti squat and raised the rear pinion. All has helped but they just don't climb like my TRX portals or AR44s. There are certain terrain types were they are more lively or responsive, level but with obstacles. And that only happened after I went with servo on axle, new ends and steering link and and putting the steering link IN FRONT of the axle. That save a little time ( in that terrain) but their performance on steep climbs just isn't like the others.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-15-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #51

Quote:
I was so unhappy with the Enduro Axels that I wouldn't consider doing anything with them, they just don't work for me. BUT i have not had any durability issues with them either but they are only comped and not beat on. I have ruined about every stock axial ring gear I have had. Even then I use the AR 44s and would not want Enduro axials.

I do have the Enduro axles in my sons C2 build with Brazin Chassis and TGH 2low. He is fine with them, to me the torque twist makes them "not dig in" when climbing. I do have more weight in the front wheels of them, 30% Over drive, I have adjusted the rear susp to help with he squat/anti squat and raised the rear pinion. All has helped but they just don't climb like my TRX portals or AR44s. There are certain terrain types were they are more lively or responsive, level but with obstacles. And that only happened after I went with servo on axle, new ends and steering link and and putting the steering link IN FRONT of the axle. That save a little time ( in that terrain) but their performance on steep climbs just isn't like the others.
Are the axial AR44 axles “plug and play” on the Enduro chassis?
catamounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamounts View Post
Are the axial AR44 axles “plug and play” on the Enduro chassis?
Yes, they mount up the same. With the steering link in front you get more room to add a little caster to greatly improve you steering.

I also change my shocks to TRX ones.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Element Enduro Builder's Kit... 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze finally gets around to the Element Enduro Builder's Kit soze Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 34 11-05-2021 10:33 AM
Dabbler does an Enduro builder's kit johnnyluv Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 3 04-03-2020 11:30 AM
New Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-10-2019 11:27 AM
Pre-Order Now - New Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-06-2019 07:06 PM