Notices

Thread: Are portals overrated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Are portals overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furadi View Post
Mmm my capra based build definitely has more steering angle than my old enduro or an scx10II.
Not disagreeing or anything but on my Enduro I put the steering link up front.
I changed the steering link to one with less of an angle and got better stiffer link ends and the steering was greatly improved. I can get about the same steering out of it as my AR44.

I still don't like how the Enduro axles perform but they are steering much better.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2021, 06:01 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
It depends on what you want to do ....on a trail truck they are ok on a more comp oriented car they are pointless on the front because they limit the steering angle...a lot.

Not on capra or 10.3 at all. My capra axles steer great even without modifying the ears on the universals. If I wanted more I'd be rocking 70* just like my ar60 axle in my sporty but I'm perfectly content with 55+ degrees now.

Ar44s can have 60+ degrees with a bit of work, I've done it.

Trx4 are good to 43ish, same with Vanquish due to the cvd style shafts.

My C3 runs treal housings and 4 wheel steering with 50+ degrees on both ends. She whips a unturn like no other.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 08-06-2021 at 06:05 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

The latest RTR from Axial, the SCX 10ii Early Bronco, has straight axles, and it might be the tippiest one yet.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
The latest RTR from Axial, the SCX 10ii Early Bronco, has straight axles, and it might be the tippiest one yet.
That giant body on portals would have probably tipped over from a gentle breeze.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by furadi View Post
Mmm my capra based build definitely has more steering angle than my old enduro or an scx10II.
...as a SCX10ll ???? Then something is wrong with the axle....you get at least 5degrees more out of those axles...well,when you know how
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
...as a SCX10ll ???? Then something is wrong with the axle....you get at least 5degrees more out of those axles...well,when you know how
Exact same thing with portals. When you know how to get steering angle you have it. If you don't know then you complain that they don't have any angle.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
thats a cool video, when do you think you will be selling them?
I'm just a driver / tester but hopefully in a week or two. They're just waiting on some parts for the T-case to be manufactured in China. Here's the overview video for now though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqHexyN9nU&t
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I tend to like straight axles, but the thing I like most about portals is more axle gear reduction which is HUGE for reducing torque twist. There are other ways to reduce torque twist but in my experience axle gear reduction is the best way usually. The thing I like least about portals is that on *some* the steering angle is pretty limited. Steering angle sucks on my TRX4 and VS410 portal axles even with modifying to get every last smidge, but good angle can be achieved on the Capra and AR45p axles...they have u-joints as opposed to cvd's.

I currently have trucks for competition and trail use with straight axles, portal axles, and hybrid using straight front and portal rear, they all have pros and cons. My class 3 truck is on straight axles with some things done to reduce torque twist...it works *very* well. My class 2 truck is the hybrid, Enduro front with AR45p on the rear just to get that gear reduction (and of course did some other stuff to deal with getting axle rotations to match and get OD split back to where I want). I'm currently debating swapping my class 1 truck from AR44's to AR45p's, with those tiny 4.19 tires it could use the extra axle clearance on most of the courses I run. The main thing holding me back is I can't get quite as much steering from the AR45p as I can on the AR44 and I love having steering angle for competition (for trail use it's not as much of a priority).
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Are you still following this Druxus?

My take on portals...

Every rig is a compromise. Portals have advantages and disadvantages. I have driven a well setup Trx4 trail truck, built light as a trx4 can be, and my go to SSD Trail King is built light and low. Both running Proline g8 tires in 4.75" height and 12.3"wheelbase.

In certain situations, like breakovers and axle hangers the trx4 trumps my little TK. in other situations, like side hilling and climbs that require momentum, the TK takes the win.

Generally speaking, we run some pretty hardcore rocks with our little trail trucks.

The orange yota is my Trail King, the Trx4 is the grey cliffhanger...

Eg this silly little climb my TK just walked up it without any drama, the Trx really had to work it but made it up...

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 08-08-2021 at 10:43 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

LC,

Your experiences and thoughts are the same as mine, and I've also driven in spots around Boise. Each have their place for sure. I will say that on the larger, smooth sandstone around Vegas where axle clearance is not so critical, my Vanquish easily out performs any of the portal setups I've run. But when things get really chunky and tight, the TRX-4 shines.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Are you still following this Druxus?

My take on portals...

Every rig is a compromise. Portals have advantages and disadvantages. I have driven a well setup Trx4 trail truck, built light as a trx4 can be, and my go to SSD Trail King is built light and low. Both running Proline g8 tires in 4.75" height and 12.3"wheelbase.

In certain situations, like breakovers and axle hangers the trx4 trumps my little TK. in other situations, like side hilling and climbs that require momentum, the TK takes the win.

Generally speaking, we run some pretty hardcore rocks with our little trail trucks.

The orange yota is my Trail King, the Trx4 is the grey cliffhanger...

Yeah still following, its coming on fair week so iv been busting my A getting getting everything to the fair grounds. Doing chickens, bunnies, and horses this year, barely any time to my self.... sitting on the can is my only free time, hence what I'm doing.

Seems a pretty mixed bag of options for everyone, I really thought portals where the end all of axles until I drove a regular one again and started questioning them. Good to hear all of the options.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Kind of got rained out at the comp yesterday but did some testing for sidehilling.

My C3 with portals will out side hill my C2 with 44s. The weight is town low in both, myabe more so in the C3 TRX/Scattergun build vs my Corrupt Carbon Axial build because of how low the TRX trans sits.

My C3 has 5.0 inch diameter tires and my C2 4.75. The 2.2 rims are larger and the sidewall is smaller on my C3. Less sidewall flex and it is noticeable just looking at it.

I think the TRX trans sitting low, my C3 is a bit wider (wider gates in C3) and less sidewall flex have far more to help the sidehill the the portals hurtling it.

I do have less clearance with the shorter tires but with 4ws I can wiggle more and that seems to help there. Even if I have to pull the winch that is less points than turtling or falling off the course if I overturn on a side hill.

My C3

My C2

Last edited by MOguy; 08-09-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post

I currently have trucks for competition and trail use with straight axles, portal axles, and hybrid using straight front and portal rear, they all have pros and cons. My class 3 truck is on straight axles with some things done to reduce torque twist...it works *very* well. My class 2 truck is the hybrid, Enduro front with AR45p on the rear just to get that gear reduction (and of course did some other stuff to deal with getting axle rotations to match and get OD split back to where I want). I'm currently debating swapping my class 1 truck from AR44's to AR45p's, with those tiny 4.19 tires it could use the extra axle clearance on most of the courses I run. The main thing holding me back is I can't get quite as much steering from the AR45p as I can on the AR44 and I love having steering angle for competition (for trail use it's not as much of a priority).
Gary, what are your thoughts on the hybrid setup you have. I've been thinking about doing that to my SCX10 ii. Love my SCX10 ii but getting a little extra pumpkin clearance and reducing torque twist would be nice.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
Gary, what are your thoughts on the hybrid setup you have. I've been thinking about doing that to my SCX10 ii. Love my SCX10 ii but getting a little extra pumpkin clearance and reducing torque twist would be nice.
Do an SSD portal rear and use a diamond center so you can flip the 3rd member over and maintain the correct driveline rotation. The SSD is a bit wider but it has the higher ratio in the portals so it's not an obscene gearing difference.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I like it quite a bit actually. I've been able to get through some lines in competition notably easier with the extra clearance, not just from the axle itself but the rear lower links are tucked up so high also. And it can pull off high angle climbs with relative ease (assuming there's enough grip). I'm actually gathering parts to do something similar on another truck right now, it's working that well (though this other one is going to be an experiment with a different t-case setup with counter rotating output shafts).

You just have to make sure you deal with correcting the gearing and driveshaft rotation to work right. Depending on parts on hand this may be easier said than done. One thing I like about the Enduro axles is you can flip the ring gear without reverse cut gears (this is what I run on the front of my class 2 hybrid setup). The SSD Diamond that W-T mentioned works also without reverse cut gears but it becomes a low pinion setup.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It is becoming more popular where I comp.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys for the feedback on the hybrid setup. I'm definitely interested in trying this out on my scx10 ii.

And sorry for highjacking this thread.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote

Are portals overrated? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock oil overrated MAGNUMB General Crawlers 20 07-30-2020 01:33 PM
Shocks are overrated Flippinrigs General Scale Talk 6 06-25-2017 05:38 PM
Flex is overrated MaFoDes Chit Chat 21 08-26-2015 04:12 PM
Are My Batteries' Capacities Overrated?? Tommy R Electronics 10 03-21-2011 01:11 PM
Ohio State...........overrated!!!! DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Chit Chat 10 01-08-2007 09:26 PM