Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for a second crawler. Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Default Looking for a second crawler. Opinions?

I've been rocking my og scx10 honcho for a few years now, and am looking to get a second rig so my wife can trail ride with me. I really have my eye on a trx4 defender, but I'm open to other opinions.

My main focus is on something rtr that I won't have to fix every ride (which I seem to get 2 rides with the scx but all my old ones was a bad cycle )

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk
sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for a second crawler. Opinions?

Since you're already considering a TRX4, why not get the Scale Trail Rock Crawler Assembly Kit (82016-4-R6)? While it doesn't include a body, it DOES include ALL electronics. The benefits are:

1) You get to pick whichever body you want (and, if it's a body for one of the longer wheelbases, you simply add the Short To Long Wheelbase Chassis Conversion Kit (8057).
2) By having built it yourself, you're already familiar with every aspect. If/When something breaks, you'll already have insight on how to repair it.
3) If you want to install any "upgrade" parts (Traxxas, or aftermarket), you can install them WHILE you're building the kit. This saves time, compared to having to disassemble, and then reassemble, when upgrading.
4) Finally...and, most important of all...you get the pleasure of BUILDING your own (or, more accurately, your wife's). Better yet, have the two of you build it together. You'll quickly understand why 'building' vehicles is half the fun of RC.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

When you say you want something reliable, I think something simpler will be best. In this case, for the TRX I would recommend the TRX Sport, or the TRX Sport Kit. It's cheaper than the Defender, doesn't have 2 speed transmission or the locking differentials, so it weighs less and has less to go wrong and performs very well. I let my kids drive the Sport, and they can't break it.
Bertman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

ill second the sport even though the electronics suck traxxASS its probably one of the best all around rigs out of the box you can buy

i would also sugest you upgrade the axles on the honcho sxc10ii axles are alot more reliable than the og axles and the steering is leaps and bounds better and the gear ratio is better too
or go all out and go with scx10.3 straight axles you can buy the complete kit for a realy good price
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #5

I have been looking at the sport, but I liked the idea of the lockers and 2 speed Tran. Are they more of a gimmick then they are useful.

I've kind of looked at kits as well, I just don't have much free time to build something and would rather just get out there driving.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasq40 View Post
I have been looking at the sport, but I liked the idea of the lockers and 2 speed Tran. Are they more of a gimmick then they are useful.

I've kind of looked at kits as well, I just don't have much free time to build something and would rather just get out there driving
The lockers are, most definitely, NOT a "gimmick". For one thing, they help decrease the turning radius. If there's a sharp/right turn, with front & rear locked, you might not make it...but, with one locked you might, and with both unlocked you probably will. They can also help when descending (even moreso when increasing drag brake).

As for the 2spd trans, it's a 50-50 tossup. Some love 2spd transmissions, while others think they're a waste (ie. gimmick). For my C3 comp crawlers, I'd never have a 2spd. But, fair the TRX4, my stepdad (whom I built the TRX4 for) loves it. In 'low ', me slowly creeps up & over things...then, in 'high', he races over to the next pile of rocks. It's just a matter of your and/or your wife's personal preference.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 07-28-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The lockers are, most definitely, NOT a "gimmick". For one thing, they help decrease the turning radius. If there's a sharp/right turn, with front & rear unlocked, you might not make it...but, with one locked you might, and with both locked you probably will.
You’ve got it a little flipped, I think you meant to say with both diffs unlocked you get the best turning radius, which is 100% true. I’m thinking about adding unlocking front diff to my Sport for this reason, and/or a dig function in the tranny just to give a little bit more competitive edge.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
You’ve got it a little flipped, I think you meant to say with both diffs unlocked you get the best turning radius, which is 100% true. I’m thinking about adding unlocking front diff to my Sport for this reason, and/or a dig function in the tranny just to give a little bit more competitive edge.
Yup...that's what I meant. This is what happens to the brain when you spend the entire day in the Napa heat, waiting for clients to finish enjoying their wine. Thanks for catching that...gonna correct it.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

there just gimics if you like pushing buttons there fun but if you just want to drive there not needed
on my trx4 i have the front spooled and the rear selectable the rear locks in low and unlocks in high gear there both using the same servo for simplicity
if you do go with the sport a good brushless motor will take the place of a 2.speed and adding selectable diffs isent a big deal
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:57 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasq40 View Post

I've kind of looked at kits as well, I just don't have much free time to build something and would rather just get out there driving.

Apologies for this post, as i only have 50 hours of crawler under my belt it's my first RC by all means, but i have the YK4082 RC 1/8 scale, front & rear lockers, hi-low speed gearbox, and it is absolutely awesome, any obstacle you crawl over with normal 4WD and get stuck, then just activate the rear or front or both lockers and you will crawl perfectly over it .... it's really like a actual off-road car ( that i had for 15 years a FJ40 1978 ) with welded diff or lockers ...

Smile

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #11

This is a local unit I've been looking at. I'm Canadian and the trx4 defender new here is about 700$

Old 07-29-2022, 09:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Don’t even waste your money on that big ass 3S Lipo lol. Get yourself 3-4 2000mah 3S for half the price he’ll want for his.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Don’t even waste your money on that big ass 3S Lipo lol. Get yourself 3-4 2000mah 3S for half the price he’ll want for his.
Yeah I wouldn't get the lipo, I'm already well stocked, more so just wondering if that car seems like a good deal.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:30 AM   #14
RCC Addict

So how much is that Sport? Hard to say if it's a good deal without knowing the price. Maybe I missed that.

It's not whether the lockers are a gimmick. It's whether or not you'd use them. They work well although the linkage and stock mini servos are prone to be a bit finicky. But that generally depends on how much you're messing with them and how well it's all set up. As long as the throw on the linkage is set properly then you shouldn't have any issues, but if not, then excessive slop or binding can burn out those crappy little servos pretty quickly. That's why some people get rid of them.

I have two trx4s and the lockers and mini servos have been just fine for years.... although I haven't run either much over the past 2 years. I personally like having them as I usually run unlocked until I feel that i need them. You'll compromise turning radius when locked so it's nice to have the option to turn them off. If you're running the trx4 alongside of another rig that is unlocked, it's kind of cool to keep both rigs more equal in terms of features. Then when the other rig struggles, you can engage the trx4 lockers and kick their butt lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:44 PM   #15

Oops thought I had that on my post. That unit is 500$ Canadian. Which is same as new, but obviously without the extras.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I mean... if it was me and the price is the same as a new one, I'd probably opt to get one new in the box unless you really like the mods that they've done on that one. The biggest chunk of savings will come from the wheels and tires and possibly the servo. Power HD has some higher end servos like the T70 but they also have budget servos like the LW-25MG with copper and aluminum gears that I personally wouldn't waste money on. Or maybe you like all the lights but wouldn't want to install them so that might make this one more appealing than buying one new w/o those mods. And if you like the rack, inner fenders, mirrors, and the snorkel then maybe that would make this more appealing than new without those things.

So those would be the things that I'd consider and then go from there. If you don't like the wheels or tires or if the HD Power servo is one of their lower end servos, then those three things right there would kinda turn me away.. unless the seller was able to come down in price $100 or so. You might look at reviews on those tires too. I'd want to know what others had to say about their performance before thinking that I was getting a good deal. And if I liked all of those upgrades I'd still offer less... maybe $50-$100 under asking. Doesn't hurt to try to get a better deal when you can.

If you REALLY like all the upgrades, and if that's one of Power HD's better quality servos ( with respectable torque specs), and if the tires have decent reviews, and the rig doesn't have any undisclosed issues or damage... then that would be a big "Hell Yeah!" regarding it being a sweet deal.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:45 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman82 View Post
When you say you want something reliable, I think something simpler will be best. In this case, for the TRX I would recommend the TRX Sport, or the TRX Sport Kit. It's cheaper than the Defender, doesn't have 2 speed transmission or the locking differentials, so it weighs less and has less to go wrong and performs very well. I let my kids drive the Sport, and they can't break it.

You know I keep hearing this argument that there is less to go wrong with the Sport as if the extra features are somehow fragile and yes there are fewer parts, less cost and less weight but there is also less functionality. I have 6 TRX4s now all have 2 speed trans and locking diffs and a couple of these trucks have over 1000 hours on them and none of them have ever given me any trouble with the trans or diffs. I honestly can't stand to drive them around on the rocks with the diffs locked. The trucks don't turn as sharp and the suspension feels like it is binding all the time. I only lock a diff when I get into a situation where I need a little extra grip then as soon as that obstacle is cleared I go back to open diffs. The 2 speed and locking diffs are a little more expensive, a bit heaver and a little more complicated but they are far from fragile.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for a second crawler. Opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on crawler benny_wiskas General Crawlers 2 01-30-2013 07:23 AM
Opinions needed on x-crawler daddy_ja XTM Crawler 3 12-09-2010 08:58 PM
crawler opinions JoeDak General Crawlers 5 03-19-2009 10:43 PM
Your opinions our crawler! Snake_01 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 06-11-2007 03:38 PM