Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Feasible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Feasible?

Hi. I have the XR10 as my only crawler. I like MOA set up and have always wanted to get 2 bully front axles and make a 4WS MOA. in 2.2 more on the 8th scale super size. I don't comp or even drive with anyone else so I don't care about staying in some sort of "legal category" for comping. I just want a cool toy to play around with. What I don't know about crawlers and my question is coming from is: How easy is it to swap axles over on rigs? What I'm thinking is getting the RYFT cage and putting the bully axles under it. What concerns me at first is the way the rear shock is connected to the trailing link. If this is something that is feasible, would a guy try to run the intended links and just swap the axles? Or would you make custom links and connect the shock to the rear axle? This may be weird on this rig because the way the front shock is in an up and down travel fashion (might look aesthetically off). Alternatively I'm a big fan of the Capra if this would be a better rig to try this on. I like the size and scale of the RFFT however. OR even putting Capra axles under the RYFT dunno. What I mainly want to avoid in my crawler is torque twisting. MOA or portals seem to help this.
hellacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Feasible?

Just about anything is possible, given that you have some imagination, fabrication skills, and the time to put in to it. You just need to do the research on what is directly compatible and what will need modification to work properly. You might have to make your own links to get MOA axles to run under a chassis, but it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. And, because you are not worried about needing to conform to any kind of rule book, the sky is the limit.

Torque twist is non-existent on MOA rigs because the power torque applied through the axles is not coupled to the drive shafts. Portal and worm gear rigs are still subject to torque twist, but do not experience it as badly as other rigs because at lot of the reduction going to the tires happens on the axle, and not on the chassis. But, even with a rig like a SCX first gen, or an Element rig, you can limit the amount of torque twist by you suspension set up.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

great start Great Scott .
Old 08-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My fab skills aren't great but I think I could manage links. I've aways wanted a tubular chassis and I like the look of the RYFT. One thing that is bugging me is that darn front shock. Like I mentioned, it is near vertical vs slanted. If I was to need to locate the rear shock to the rear axle that shock would then be leaning in. Would that look ghetto? Lol.

Feasible? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this feasible? Zuki Tyler Newbie General 9 04-05-2006 09:39 PM
shafty stick idea, feasible? NeoSlayer888 General Crawlers 17 12-06-2005 05:40 PM
Any 1/18th scale or feasible Jeep bodies for a VMG? USATorque55 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 01-29-2005 12:27 PM