Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Advice on purchasing a new crawler kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2021, 03:29 AM   #1

Default Advice on purchasing a new crawler kit

Hi everyone,

Not a newbie per se, but not that experienced. Currently have a Gmade R1, Trx4 sport and Redcat pack gen 8.

I'm looking to purchase a new crawler kit for around $250. That's where I need your help.

It's to been used by my son who enjoys mud bogging rather than actual rock crawling.

My choices are currently between,
1) Gmade GS02 TS Komodo kit
2) Element Builder kit
3) Axial Raw builders kit SCX10

I'm not particularly keen on portals since I've already got a few with them.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Bloody Idjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Advice on purchasing a new crawler kit

Since you have a mixture of brands, I'd say go with the Axial or Element. I'm currently doing a waterproof/lender build with HPI Venture rails I picked up for less than $10 shipped and left over stock parts from my original Venture.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:23 AM   #3

Thanks for your response.

I'm leaning more towards the Element myself, since the axial and element prices are pretty close.

The gmade does come with a body and tyres, which is what makes this a bit confusing.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would say build it completely yourself...get a Gspeed chassis and go from there .

Last edited by themountain; 08-19-2021 at 03:19 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The Element is a great kit. It goes together extremely well, has excellent hardware and plastics, performs well, and has some good aftermarket support. It doesn't have as much aftermarket as the SCX10ii but it's a better kit with better components as the ii is still using the older Axial plastics pre Horizon supply chain sourced. The Element can also be built with overdrive right out of the box.

Not knocking themountain's idea, but considering your budget the Element fits perfectly. Make sure and get the newer V2 version as it has some nice upgrades from the original, although I built the original and it's a good kit too.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
I would say build it completely yourself...get a Gspeed chassis and o from there .
I've definitely had that thought as well and was hoping to use the element as the donor truck. It appears that I could transfer quite a few parts.

Won't be doing it just yet though, since my kid prefers mud over rocks , for now lol

Old 08-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't have an Element, or SCX10 III, but I'd also recommend one of the Element kits. For one thing, the Element shocks are way better than the Axial shocks (plus, they don't leak). The SCX10 III is supposed to a great kit, but would require several upgrades to equal the Element. Additionally, with Element, there are a few different kit options.

I know it costs a little more, but we I'd suggest the Element Enduro Gatekeeper kit, as is more in-line with your son's area of enjoyment. Technically, it's still a "rock crawler"...but, with it's rear trailing arm design, it should be better at handling "mud bogging", while, at the same time, be better for "going faster". Another 'advantage' of going with one of the Element Enduro kits is the ability to convert the front, from a solid axle, to independent front suspension, by installing the Element Enduro IFS Conversion Kit (yes, it adds another $100 to the cost, but it can be installed when building the Element Enduro...or, it can be purchased/installed a year (or more) after building the kit.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I don't have an Element, or SCX10 III, but I'd also recommend one of the Element kits. For one thing, the Element shocks are way better than the Axial shocks (plus, they don't leak). The SCX10 III is supposed to a great kit, but would require several upgrades to equal the Element. Additionally, with Element, there are a few different kit options.

I know it costs a little more, but we I'd suggest the Element Enduro Gatekeeper kit, as is more in-line with your son's area of enjoyment. Technically, it's still a "rock crawler"...but, with it's rear trailing arm design, it should be better at handling "mud bogging", while, at the same time, be better for "going faster". Another 'advantage' of going with one of the Element Enduro kits is the ability to convert the front, from a solid axle, to independent front suspension, by installing the Element Enduro IFS Conversion Kit (yes, it adds another $100 to the cost, but it can be installed when building the Element Enduro...or, it can be purchased/installed a year (or more) after building the kit.

Thanks for taking the time to respond .

I've pretty much settled on the Element kit. I'm not too familiar with the IFS "upgrade" on the Element, but I'm guessing it'll be a lot easier on the front wheel bearings.

The Gatekeeper looks very interesting but unfortunately I'm not from the US and increased prices ruins it for me after Customs duties. It's why I've got to keep the price low :(. It's much cheaper to build in bits and pieces. I've also got an extra Proline 12.3 body as well.

Now that you mention it, the Gatekeeper is a bit similar to the albeit dated Gmade R1 and that has been the best for mudding and mild bashing so far...apart from needing extra care with the receiver.

SCX III looked very tempting as well, but that again causes problems due to the price and Customs :(.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

drop a few more bux on the kit and get the SSD Trail King kit. About 269.
Great builds and essentially a upgraded SCX10II Kit.

No wheels/tires/electronics or body. Straight axles. upgraded gears, scaletrany and front mounted motor with scale engine that can goo over it.

Yes it is worth the extra pennies imo.

It may be a bit high in cost compared to the SCX10 II, but is inline with the SCX10 III and Element in terms of cost.
And if your boy likes Scale, it has it.

Last edited by Timmahh; 08-18-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

if you want a mud truck look at the old school clod buster just put some king fling tires on it and instant mud truck i just saw one used for 180 with a brand new body that hazent been done up yet

it wont compete with anything mentioned above as a crawler but they make awsom mud trucks
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
if you want a mud truck look at the old school clod buster just put some king fling tires on it and instant mud truck i just saw one used for 180 with a brand new body that hazent been done up yet

it wont compete with anything mentioned above as a crawler but they make awsom mud trucks
I think the point is, he wants to build it...not buy something (even if it was originally a kit) already built.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Idjit View Post
I've pretty much settled on the Element kit. I'm not too familiar with the IFS "upgrade" on the Element, but I'm guessing it'll be a lot easier on the front wheel bearings.
It's a great kit... Simple, reliable, and it performs. What more can you ask for? Try and get the V2 if possible, it's got some nice features over the first version of the kit.

I've got number 2 under construction. First one has the IFS kit, the second will stay solid axle.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
drop a few more bux on the kit and get the SSD Trail King kit. About 269.
Where are you seeing the Trail King for $269?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I say the element. I am building a mud truck right now and I have no idea what to do. At this point I am using a Wraith 2.2, MambaX and 3300 Trail pro Holmes Hobbies motor. I have up graded a few other things. I choose the Wraith because I had one sitting on the shelf doing nothing.

I would choose the element because (as much as I hate their axles for crawling) I think they are stronger the axial axials in the 10ii kit. I don't like the element axials because of the torque twist. Sucks for climbing but for pulling though a mud have a little torque twisting lifting the tire out or the mud may be a good thing?? I know my Wraith 2.2 with its 60s has some serious toque twist.

I have not finished it yet so I have no ideas if my thoughts are worth anything. This weekend I am using it for a hill climb contest, never done that before either.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-19-2021 at 10:27 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Where are you seeing the Trail King for $269?
I may be incorrect. its been aminute since I got mine. Most are out of stock looking around.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I may be incorrect. its been aminute since I got mine. Most are out of stock looking around.
Amain has them for $319. I haven't seen them less than that. That's why I got excited when I thought someone had a line on them $50 cheaper.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Amain has them for $319. I haven't seen them less than that. That's why I got excited when I thought someone had a line on them $50 cheaper.
When they go "on sale" (which is, obviously, very rarely...like Black Friday & Cyber Monday) at Amain & Horizon Hobby, that's when it's $269.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Geez maybe I did pay 369 and then 319 on my 2nd kit, but was sure it was 269 on my original kit and got one for 219 on sale maybe last May of 2020...
Old 08-20-2021, 03:35 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I think the point is, he wants to build it...not buy something (even if it was originally a kit) already built.
could always buy a new one

there are alot of reason for geting the clod for a mud truck

the motor on axle.or moa design has 0 torque twist any rig with a drive shaft when fighting through thick mud is gona suffer from bad torque twist the moa would.have way more control.when pushing the mud

also that plastic tub design is vary eazy to seal up and would keep your electronics mud free and makes them alot easyer to keep clean vs the ladder frame with no real protection for your exspensive electronics and the moa design has fewer moving parts coming in to contact with the mud so your not replacing as many bearings all the time

the big tires will float on the mud heck they float on water to lol for a.few minutes untill the tires fill up with water
i narrowed a set of stock tires for mine for that nice chevron style tread mud tire look

and itz tamiya so you know there gona.sell the same exsact kit for the next 20 years or so
i have one clod thats older than most peoples cars and the parts and kits are still available there like the bettle of the crawler world so stock parts and aftermarket parts are still readaly available

they come with 4 wheel steer that can be locked out if you choose

and besides what kid dosent want a monster truck lol i remeber drooling over them when i was a kid when they first came out and i still run mine there just fun especialy in mud and deep snow

Last edited by ferp420; 08-20-2021 at 03:52 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #20

Wow, that's a lot of replies!

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.

In the end, I've just pulled the trigger on the Element V2 kit. Think I got a bit lucky on finding that.

Some great ideas here, but I'm constrained that it needs to be a kit, under $250 and my kid has to build it himself.

He has to make a project for school, so why not build and document his own crawler ? Win-win situation .

Will post pics when he's done, if anyone's interested, but it's definitely gonna take a bit of time.

Thanks guys!

Advice on purchasing a new crawler kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on kit Piranhaboy General Crawlers 8 06-21-2020 08:37 AM
New kit advice cadriel General Crawlers 5 06-15-2018 10:50 PM
First kit advice? solidshark91493 Newbie General 10 12-04-2016 12:40 PM
HELP: Purchasing a SWX chassis kit Bucktallica Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 03-19-2010 09:48 AM