Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas big bore shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Traxxas big bore shocks

So I have seen a lot of people have used the traxxas big bore shocks for their crawlers. I have a set I wanted to try out. I did the losi spring mod to them and wanted to run these upside down.

Problem is, is that the shock cap is designed to only pivot front and back and can't pivot side to side. This makes it so it does not articulate well when installed on a rig.

So my question is, what's the secret to getting these to work properly? Do I need to get a different shock cap that I can insert a pivot ball in? Is there a part I can add that allows this movement to happen?
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas big bore shocks

Have you done the rod end mod?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pop the cap off and cut the mounting eye off. Now look inside the cap and use the dimple in the center to line up the drill bit and punch a hole for a 3mm button head screw to go through. Now put a rod end on that screw and reinstall the cap.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Nope I have not. I figured I was missing something...can you point me in the direction I can find how to, or can you explain what people are doing?

Much appreciated!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Pop the cap off and cut the mounting eye off. Now look inside the cap and use the dimple in the center to line up the drill bit and punch a hole for a 3mm button head screw to go through. Now put a rod end on that screw and reinstall the cap.

That sounds like what I will be doing. I figured it would be simple and that's how the dravtech shocks are (without the drilling).

Awesome and thank you!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Dlux sells special pivot balls for the tops of those big bores. Way back when we just made a bushing out of nitro fuel tubing and didn't overtighten the bolt.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Do the rod end mod on the cap.

Or, if you want the overall length shorter you can use the Traxxas 8361 caps. In some cases you might still not be able to run the shocks inverted with those caps, but they have pivot balls and will work correctly with articulation.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just get yourself some TRX8361 parts.

They are shock caps with rodends ;)
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone who chimed in. It helped me a lot. I liked the idea of keeping the shocks short and went ahead and ordered the shock caps with the rod ends. They were actually pretty cheap.

I did look at the caps at dluxfab and maybe I will get them if I decide to make a more sizable purchase from them. The shipping for just the caps was crazy high.

I may still try the cap mod later down the road. We will see if I like the shocks that short or not.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #10

Would the Dluxfab pivot ball ends (https://dluxfab.com/Big-Bore-Shock-Ends-p6395782) give the same results as the traxxas 8361 shock caps?
Zoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoqi View Post
Would the Dluxfab pivot ball ends (https://dluxfab.com/Big-Bore-Shock-Ends-p6395782) give the same results as the traxxas 8361 shock caps?
Yea it's about the same deal.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I got a set a caps for $8. Those dluxfab pivot balls are $7/pair and then they want $11 to ship those tiny things plus tax. I just couldn't buy them knowing that it does not cost that much to ship those little pivot balls.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuggy View Post
I got a set a caps for $8. Those dluxfab pivot balls are $7/pair and then they want $11 to ship those tiny things plus tax. I just couldn't buy them knowing that it does not cost that much to ship those little pivot balls.

That’s the one downfall of dlux… flat rate of $11 to ship no matter how big, little or amount you order. I respect Gspeed for keeping it real on shipping costs. The only time I pay the shipping is when I’m buying shocks, which in my opinion is worth the couple bucks more over the Traxxas big bores. They’re already machined, the cut the body square so the spring sits flush, they include springs, the shock shafts are titanium if I’m not mistaken and you get your choice of color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:10 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
That’s the one downfall of dlux… flat rate of $11 to ship no matter how big, little or amount you order. I respect Gspeed for keeping it real on shipping costs. The only time I pay the shipping is when I’m buying shocks, which in my opinion is worth the couple bucks more over the Traxxas big bores. They’re already machined, the cut the body square so the spring sits flush, they include springs, the shock shafts are titanium if I’m not mistaken and you get your choice of color.

I agree and I have a set of their shocks already on another rig and the shipping was worth it for a purchase like that IMO. I had happened to already have a set of big bores from my rustlers and figured instead of buying another set of shocks for the next build at least use the big bores first and go from there.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuggy View Post
I liked the idea of keeping the shocks short and went ahead and ordered the shock caps with the rod ends. They were actually pretty cheap.
Chiming in on this old post. I’m wondering what caps you ended up ordering? I’m in the same predicament.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Chiming in on this old post. I’m wondering what caps you ended up ordering? I’m in the same predicament.

I’m assuming these:

https://dluxfab.com/Traxxas-8361-Shock-Caps-p426391345

I put those on a set recently, quite a bit shorter than the machined caps with rod ends, but they do add some girth.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m assuming these:

https://dluxfab.com/Traxxas-8361-Shock-Caps-p426391345

I put those on a set recently, quite a bit shorter than the machined caps with rod ends, but they do add some girth.
My issue is finding big bore cap balls that fit snug with no play. I think the set I’m using currently are from some Proline specs and there’s a good 2mm of wiggle room side to side. I’m using metal caps so I can’t jam any in them. This seems like the perfect solution.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas big bore shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas big bore shocks???? riz Axial SCX-10 4 12-29-2009 08:12 PM