Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 3d printed Landy 4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Default 3d printed Landy 4x4

Was looking for another project for my 3d printer. Ran across a fully 3 d printed land rover:

Complete interior and you can buy kits to modify it a bit:

I had to pay for the files, but the price was pretty minor really.

It's supposedly 1/8 scale, 54 cm in length.

Everything is 3d printed except for screws, tires and bearings. Of course, the electronics will also have to be purchased.

They say to use pla for everything, but since this will be an outdoor rig I'll use ABS. Needs just over 4 kg of filament by their measure. I'll have to hunt down some spools in the colors I want to use.

Should be a fun little project. I'll post as I go along in the build.
NoBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 3d printed Landy 4x4

I subscribed and I’m really looking forward to your build. A few other people here have built one as well and I finished printing all the parts for mine in late spring. Life got in the way and it’s only about a third of the way assembled. I decided to print out a few pieces in translucent filament and that put everything on hold. Hi also took on the beetle from 3-D sets and that was a lot more enjoyable to print. That is also a box of printed parts waiting for me to get back to it. It appears that I’m having a follow-through issue. I found that the hardware can be a bit expensive and are used a combination of team KNK, Ali express and Amazon hardware sets. Good luck with it And I’m looking forward to seeing process as you go.
Boomer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

So I think the electrics will look like this:

Generic 6 channel remote/receiver. Keeps costs low and right now I only need the two channels. May add things like lights, winch, etc later down the road.
25 Kg metal gear servo.
Hobby Wing fusion motor/esc. Nice compact package which gives me lots of torque, lots of features and lots of room for things like mock up engines and such.
2s lipo's, 5000 Mah.

I also ordered another 4 spools of ABS filament. Most of it will be printed in black abs and painted the final colors. I may switch up to PLA for some of the non load bearing parts like the interior.

Printer is laying down the first stl as we speak. I usually print with a brim, but these are all getting a raft. A raft wastes filament, but it's guaranteed adhesion for abs, which is finicky at the best of times.

But I think that's where I will have to stop as I don't think there's enough left of the spool to do the second file. Have to wait for the other spools to arrive to print more....

Last edited by NoBrand; 09-02-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Without the right hooded printer, ABS is a bear to print properly. If you have a lower end good printer like an Ender3 or Prusa MK3, recommend looking at PETG.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Without the right hooded printer, ABS is a bear to print properly. If you have a lower end good printer like an Ender3 or Prusa MK3, recommend looking at PETG.

Creality CR10 V2 in a home built enclosure. Upgraded with BLTouch and an E3D Titan extruder. Handles ABS nozzle temps easily and bed heats up to 110 C:

The enclosure is mainly to keep breezes off the print and makes it a bit more temp stable over the entire bed. Gives the ABS half a chance to cool slowly enough to not bend or warp.

But still, ABS can be finicky if you're not paying attention to temps, fan speeds, layer height and good bed adhesion.

PETG can be a bit harder than ABS once printed, but it's hard to beat ABS for temp and impact resistance.

I can print fine in ABS, I just have to make sure I get my settings right.

NIce sig line. Mine would be SAR qualified, Master Warrant Officer, retired (medical).......

Last edited by NoBrand; 09-02-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My most humble apologies, looks you do have all the right basis covered. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
My most humble apologies, looks you do have all the right basis covered. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

No worries. I don't know everything, just the few little tidbits that lets me print what I want. Everything else, google lends a helping hand....lol!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #8

Definitely following to see how this turns out!
zenitram09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #9

I am also interested to see what comes out of this! I have hear of a lot of things 3D printed but not a car Good luck

Last edited by hamkarateant; 09-20-2021 at 11:27 AM.
hamkarateant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #10

3DSETS is such a quality build.. plenty of hours of printing on my MK3S+ but very fun and an extremely detailed build. I think it took me two weeks of printing to finish my 2dr Jeep Rancher. Ill be doing the 4 door Landy next when i find the time. Biggest surprise was the amount of screws I needed. lol
MyFairLadyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:34 PM   #11

I would avoid ABS for the most part.. ABS is fairly hard to print, proper enclosure is key.. maybe ABS on gears and suspension parts. I printed everything on PLA except for the motor mount in PETG. Everything so far has held up well.. mind you I don't beat on mine like a regular RC crawler.
MyFairLadyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

Thats nice looking
Craigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLadyZ View Post
I would avoid ABS for the most part.. ABS is fairly hard to print, proper enclosure is key.. maybe ABS on gears and suspension parts. I printed everything on PLA except for the motor mount in PETG. Everything so far has held up well.. mind you I don't beat on mine like a regular RC crawler.
I have no problems working in abs. I actually find it easier than pla. YMMV…
Old 09-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #14

Well, never would have imagined it but:

3d printed gearbox. Its interesting for sure, but I’m not totally convinced it will hold up. We’ll see I guess. Simple matter enough to upgrade to a metal gearbox if the printed one frags itself….
Old 09-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #15

Dang, this thing is going to be pretty big!

I placed a box cutter knife in front to give a feel for scale.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrand View Post
Dang, this thing is going to be pretty big!

I placed a box cutter knife in front to give a feel for scale.
Excuse my ignorance, but Is the suspension setup printed too? I tried looking behind the tires but can't see anything lol.

These 3D printed trucks are really cool, Be a great trailing vehicle...
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but Is the suspension setup printed too? I tried looking behind the tires but can't see anything lol.

These 3D printed trucks are really cool, Be a great trailing vehicle...
Well, right now its just sitting on the axles, no suspension. But yes, the center plate (transmission) and the link rods are all 3d print. I’ll likely do away with them eventually and swap in some metal adjustable links.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #18

Well, tried to fit the hw fusion and Ax2 gearbox to the landy. The packaging just doesn't work for the space available. it really is set up for a front mounted motor and a long gearbox/transfer case behind it.

I also would like to have a dig cut out. As this truck is pretty long, a dig would make tight quarters much more manageable.

So the setup I'm looking for doesn't appear to exist, or maybe it does in some world of unlimited budgets. I don't live in that world though.

So here's the plan: HW fusion1900kv, an "Injora" planetary two speed box and a divorced SCX10 gearbox with dig attachment. The planetary box is an 8:1 reduction low gear/4:1 high gear and the dig box (going by memory here) is around 3.5/4:1 if I go straight to the shaft and not the large gear. That will give me all the goodness of the HW fusion as well as a 2 speed box and super deep crawler gearing.

I also ran across some "import"portal axles for a decent price and grabbed those as well.

All the stuff I already have here can go into my 3d printed buggy and the Landy will get all the "new" stuff. Hopefully I won't have to go out looking to buy any more bits and pieces as this is getting pretty pricey now.

But the big issue I have right now is for some reason, my printer seems to have picked up an abs "warping" problem. The odd thing is I've changed nothing. Heat is the same, filament is the same, nozzle is the same, infill, etc. It's just started warping prints at the build plate and it's starting forming "splits" in the print layers. I don't really mind when problems crop up because something has changed, but when it just comes out of nowhere for no apparent reason......well, that's a dog chasing it's tail scenario.

Last edited by NoBrand; 09-30-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #19

It seems I'm not the only one who's contemplated ditching the Landy plastic drivetrain for metal components. Great thing about that is those people have already done a lot of the work and prototyping. Someone has already reworked the Landy transmission case to hold the upgrades in the same shape and size:

That's free to download off thingiverse. I'm using a different setup for the transfer case, but that's only a small remix of the already changed Landy case. I could make the complete unit if I needed to, but there's no need to re-invent the wheel as it were. A few small changes to the stl file and it will fit my needs.

Very nice to have a 3d printer at home sometimes.....
Old 10-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer75 View Post
I subscribed and I’m really looking forward to your build. A few other people here have built one as well and I finished printing all the parts for mine in late spring. Life got in the way and it’s only about a third of the way assembled. I decided to print out a few pieces in translucent filament and that put everything on hold. Hi also took on the beetle from 3-D sets and that was a lot more enjoyable to print. That is also a box of printed parts waiting for me to get back to it. It appears that I’m having a follow-through issue. I found that the hardware can be a bit expensive and are used a combination of team KNK, Ali express and Amazon hardware sets. Good luck with it And I’m looking forward to seeing process as you go.
Do you have a link to the beetle?
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printed Landy 4x4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/37th 3D Printed 4x4 Broncoish Snaglefast Micro Scale Rigs 9 12-14-2016 09:12 PM
3d printed Wild Willy 4x4(photo heavy) magic2002 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 07-22-2013 11:10 AM
Just another Landy Dr.Frank 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 07-16-2008 11:29 AM
XC Landy MadMax 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 03-29-2006 01:33 PM