Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Drive Shafts - Attempt #3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Drive Shafts - Attempt #3

Well,

Getting short drive shafts is proving to be a problem. My first choice is Incision, but they don't fit, so I tried an Ebay set of Chicom shafts. They were terribly made and wouldn't phase. Into the trash they went. Second set in from RC4WD, same thing. The splines are not cut correctly. Another $60 into the trash.

Is there anyone who doesn't rhyme with Super Shafty which offer quality, true drive shafts? I can't find a set of Hero in my size that I need. The size I'm after is 3.9" to 5.2, and I don't want a set of MIP's ( they grab on rock way too much ).

Thanks.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Drive Shafts - Attempt #3

Get a set of the Incisions and cut them so they fit?
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If I get two sets of the Incisions, I can use the longs and make it work. I'll end up with two shorts and I guess I can just set them aside. Seems like the best plan at the moment.

s.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It's a solid $120 but it seems you know the end result is promising.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Is there any reason you don't just get a set of wild boar shafts and make a set to the length of your choice?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Is there any reason you don't just get a set of wild boar shafts and make a set to the length of your choice?
I would've suggested these but I didn't think plastic was an option.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I looked at those and like them, but I wanted to get a bit of weight lower on the truck. I'm already at 2000 grams and searching for traction, so I want to keep a bit of weight down low.

I went ahead and ordered two sets of the Incisions shafts and will up the two short sides in the parts bin.

It's amazing how much crap is out there.

s
Old 09-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Driveshafts are NOT the place for low weight... Just grab some wild boar HD and put the weight at the knuckles where it actually does some good. You'll thank me later.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Driveshafts are NOT the place for low weight... Just grab some wild boar HD and put the weight at the knuckles where it actually does some good. You'll thank me later.
I was thinking the same thing and about to post it until I saw this post
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I was bummed the RC4WD super punishers were such garbage. I settled on an ssd rear shaft for my current build, where incision's rear wasn't long enough. I haven't heard anything terrible about them, but they are bulky.

If it helps, I'd buy a short incision from you for a reasonable price (If you decide to go that route). I had to rob a shorty from another one of my trucks for the new truck. I replaced it with an ssd 100-120mm driveshaft, but I wouldn't mind going back to a matching set.

Last edited by DRED805; 09-09-2021 at 06:20 PM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

There are no knuckle weights for the night crawler that I can find. If go with WB's and I'll be adding lead to the front axles in some fashion or the other.

s
Old 09-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I was bummed the RC4WD super punishers were such garbage. I settled on an ssd rear shaft for my current build, where incision's rear wasn't long enough. I haven't heard anything terrible about them, but they are bulky.

If it helps, I'd buy a short incision from you for a reasonable price (If you decide to go that route). I had to rob a shorty from another one of my trucks for the new truck. I replaced it with an ssd 100-120mm driveshaft, but I wouldn't mind going back to a matching set.

I'll get with you on PM's once I get the shafts in and see what fits. Yeah, I'm pretty much done with RC4WD

s
Old 09-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Wild Boars -

Ok, I just ordered two sets and will give them a go as well on the same lines and technical features on the trail. I'll post the differences in performance between those and the Incision drive shafts. Should be interesting.

Edit.! I just found a set of WB's in my parts bin from my Wraith Spawn. Will get these installed tonight and hopefully take it for a spin tomorrow.

s

Last edited by SteveB1; 09-09-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
There are no knuckle weights for the night crawler that I can find. If go with WB's and I'll be adding lead to the front axles in some fashion or the other.

s

Dluxfab.com. Heaviest and best knuckles out there. Email them and beest will figure out which setup you need
Old 09-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Dluxfab.com. Heaviest and best knuckles out there. Email them and beest will figure out which setup you need

WT,

I touched base with Matt over there at Dlux and at the moment they have nothing for my crawler. I've been searching around for a few days, and there just isn't much out there other than a few useless aluminum bling parts from Boom, and nothing over at HR.

I've got the WB's installed and will give them a go hopefully tomorrow, Sat morning at the latest.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I cut the short SSD shaft #SSD00255 from original length 88 mm pin-pin with a dremel down to 78 mm. That's possible because SSD cuts their splines on the full length of the female part - Incision has it's spline not on full length!. Their are materialwise no as good as the incisions. But small in diameter as well,. Have a look at my other post. To find the right length I played with the wild boars cutting them down easily.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Last edited by ToCrawl; 09-09-2021 at 10:10 PM.
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
WT,

I touched base with Matt over there at Dlux and at the moment they have nothing for my crawler. I've been searching around for a few days, and there just isn't much out there other than a few useless aluminum bling parts from Boom, and nothing over at HR.

I've got the WB's installed and will give them a go hopefully tomorrow, Sat morning at the latest.
Too bad, can't blame them not many people still run losi crap anymore.

Looks like HR knuckles have a couple theaded holes in their face that brass rings could be attached to easily.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I’ll vouch for the wb8-hd shafts also. Can buy new take off’s on eBay cheap. I’ve ran probably 20 rigs from all shapes sizes axles motors you name it.. including the prop shaft on multiple fmm setups. I’ve never broken one or had one fail. From 75mm to as long as I can get parts for.
Incision shafts are great, I’ve got some of those also. But hard to beat the wb8-hd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

WB's installed and now sitting at 2002 grams running. Will give it a run first thing tomorrow morning and report back.!

s
Old 09-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The Wb's worked great on the trail this morning. I'll be leaving them on and just set the Incision shafts in the parts bin for my next build. Thanks WT..!

s

Drive Shafts - Attempt #3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM