Notices

Thread: High Clearance and Portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: High Clearance and Portals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I'm running high clearance links with a rear portal because they're long as **** (13.9" wheelbase). I had the links set up with the bends at the axle for no good reason. I just thought that's how it was done. I'm glad Fricker pointed out the way he runs them now. Since my truck is real long and real low, I think he's correct that the extra clearance by the skid is the way to go for LCG. I'll have to get this thing running and test it both ways. Now that we've established there's no incorrect way to run links, I'm gonna say that the bend at the chassis is the correct way.

Pretty significant difference, I'd say... what do you guys think?
For sure that's the right way. Not only more belly clearance, but it also protects the driveshaft from direct impact
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: High Clearance and Portals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
For sure that's the right way. Not only more belly clearance, but it also protects the driveshaft from direct impact
Very good observation! But I should have noted to ignore the driveshaft angles. In the first picture, I had the differential flipped so the portals would rotate the same direction as the front straight axle. I had to have the pinion/output flipped as well, so the driveshaft was low. I've since put in reverse cut gears to get the driveshaft flipped back up and out of the way. That's just the only picture I have of the whole vehicle from the side with the tires on and link bends at the axle.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote

High Clearance and Portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High offset, high clearance 2.2 wheels? halllon Tires and Wheels 5 12-10-2020 05:02 PM
I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals. Tim3 General Crawlers 22 11-10-2019 10:25 AM
3racing high clearance knuckles(portals) - where to buy Slowkrawl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 10-18-2012 10:21 PM
high clearance chassis? TNCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-05-2010 08:36 PM