Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: High Clearance and Portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default High Clearance and Portals

Any input on running high clearance links on the rear with portals?

Seems high clearance links would not be as effective when running portals as the links are already sitting higher.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: High Clearance and Portals

I run high clearance links in the rear of all my rigs portal or non. They aren't as needed on portals but they certainly don't hurt.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I also learned recently that I’ve been running my rear links incorrectly since running any sort of high clearance link. I always put the bend closest to the axle. While that’s how you want them in the front, you want the bend on the lower link closest to the skid in the rear. 2 different rigs posted, but it goes for all the lcg and probably standard chassis rigs. It gives you maximum belly clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fricker08; 09-15-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I also learned recently that I’ve been running my rear links incorrectly since running any sort of high clearance link.
Eeemh...there is no "right" or "wrong" how you mount them....please enlighten me if its otherwise.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Eeemh...there is no "right" or "wrong" how you mount them....please enlighten me if its otherwise.
More belly clearance, I assume you didn't read his post

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 09-15-2021 at 03:40 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post

I literally explained myself and provided pics to back it up… I guess you didn’t read my whole post. If you did, you’d see there is quite the difference in clearance. That is how Hardcore RC says to mount them and how I’ll be running them on my rigs from now on.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Here’s a better representation, same rig links with the bend towards the axles, then the skid. If you can’t tell the difference well then…

Old 09-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here’s a better representation, same rig links with the bend towards the axles, then the skid. If you can’t tell the difference well then…

wow that makes a huge differance i might look in to high clearance links on my next comp like type rig and a new chassie to go with them it looks like they would work better with a angled skid
i think if it was running a flat skid i would want the bend on the axle side

Last edited by ferp420; 09-15-2021 at 08:25 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
wow that makes a huge differance i might look in to high clearance links on my next comp like type rig and a new chassie to go with them it looks like they would work better with a angled skid
i think if it was running a flat skid i would want the bend on the axle side

I haven’t personally seen it, but my buddy swapped them on his gspeed v1c1 which has a flat skid and told me It made a difference. Noticeable enough? Who knows but definitely for the angled skid lcg builds

Old 09-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You can mount them either way, depends on what you need. Belly clearance is helpful for breakovers but having higher clearance near the axle can help on other types of terrain. When you're constantly going over smaller obstacles having them bends towards the rear provides the advantage of not lifting the axle and allowing for maximum ground contact. So @themountain is correct.

My custom made link set I had on my competition XR10 had so many bends You had to really pay attention to how to mount them correctly. They provided maximum clearance from the axle to the skid all while maintaining the required performance and not causing other restrictions.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I understand there’s no “right or wrong” I was referring more to the lcg type builds.. where break over is the main concern.
You guys get so off track with some of this stuff, idk why I bother posting.

To the OP, are high clearance links necessary with portals? No. Will they provide you more clearance? Yes.

And with that I’m out, y’all have fun now.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I understand there’s no “right or wrong” I was referring more to the lcg type builds.. where break over is the main concern.

To the OP, are high clearance links necessary with portals? No. Will they provide you more clearance? Yes.

Thank you. Going to give it a shot.
Ordered some from intheworks and he said upper links on the rear need to be straight for my application to avoid it interfering with the chassis. Your uppers seem upside-down, but I guess it doesn't matter either way
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

That's not what you stated previously. You said bent side toward rear was the wrong way. TheMountain simply said that isn't correct. This is the first time you mentioned LCG. Link positioning has no bearing on LCG anyway. The angled skid has no effect on LCG as well, it's about clearance and breakover.

Not sure who "you guys" are and how posting in a thread about bent links specifically addressing bent links and how to run them is off track.

Some of us have been doing this long enough to understand what is done and why along with the effect of each change. There is no single way with most of this stuff. There's desired outcome and what method(s) accomplishes that.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
That's not what you stated previously. You said bent side toward rear was the wrong way. TheMountain simply said that isn't correct. This is the first time you mentioned LCG. Link positioning has no bearing on LCG anyway. The angled skid has no effect on LCG as well, it's about clearance and breakover.

Not sure who "you guys" are and how posting in a thread about bent links specifically addressing bent links and how to run them is off track.

Some of us have been doing this long enough to understand what is done and why along with the effect of each change. There is no single way with most of this stuff. There's desired outcome and what method(s) accomplishes that.

Tell me where I said if you don’t mount it this way you’re wrong. I said I’ve been running them incorrectly. And was simply showing an alternative mounting.

“You guys” are putting words in my mouth. And LCG was mentioned in my first post. So like themountain you must not have read it either

Last edited by Fricker08; 09-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Tell me where I said if you don’t mount it this way you’re wrong. I said I’ve been running them incorrectly. And was simply showing an alternative mounting.

“You guys” are putting words in my mouth. And LCG was mentioned in my first post. So like themountain you must not have read it either

You stated incorrect which can easily be interpreted as wrong.

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of incorrect
1a: not true : WRONG
incorrect answers
b: INACCURATE, FAULTY
an incorrect transcription

So there's that. Yes you mention LCG chassis in your first post but don't state that somehow bent links affect LCG until later, which they don't.

So you were giving out incorrect information when stating that running them bent side by skids was incorrect. The correct answer is "It depends on what the desired outcome is".

Last edited by TexasSP; 09-15-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
You stated incorrect which can easily be interpreted as wrong.

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of incorrect
1a: not true : WRONG
incorrect answers
b: INACCURATE, FAULTY
an incorrect transcription

So there's that. Yes you mention LCG chassis in your first post but don't state that somehow bent links affect LCG until later, which they don't.

So you were giving out incorrect information when stating that running them bent side by skids was incorrect. The correct answer is "It depends on what the desired outcome is".

Definition of “I” me myself and I. Was running them incorrectly for my application. How about I spell it out for you since you’re pulling words out of context.
I, meaning me, not everyone in here, found out recently that I was running my rear links incorrectly. For MY application. When switching the rear links around, it gives you more clearance when breaking over an obstacle or obstruction. In the terrain that I run, this helps quite a bit. It may not be for everyone. But I will be running this setup on MY trucks from now on.

Second off, I never said running the links that way affect center of gravity. I said they give you optimum belly clearance. Which would translate to break over clearance. And if you say that isn’t true, the pictures prove that wrong.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I run mine with the bends to the rear. Based on my testing and experience the little bit of extra belly clearance is less important than the clearance between the skid and the rear tires. It works better overall with bends to the rear, at least on my trucks. There's no right or wrong way, but my way is better
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Why do these threads always get taken off track??
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:33 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm running high clearance links with a rear portal because they're long as **** (13.9" wheelbase). I had the links set up with the bends at the axle for no good reason. I just thought that's how it was done. I'm glad Fricker pointed out the way he runs them now. Since my truck is real long and real low, I think he's correct that the extra clearance by the skid is the way to go for LCG. I'll have to get this thing running and test it both ways. Now that we've established there's no incorrect way to run links, I'm gonna say that the bend at the chassis is the correct way.

Pretty significant difference, I'd say... what do you guys think?
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Thanks Dred, that was my only point behind posting up. I’d never even seen or heard mention of it on here.. maybe I missed it. Hope it works out, and if not? Shit at least it was worth a try.
For the record I have mine setup on a Sherpa with vanquish d44’s and I don’t trail. Strictly rock crawling, and pretty technical stuff for that matter, and it works for me.

High Clearance and Portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High offset, high clearance 2.2 wheels? halllon Tires and Wheels 5 12-10-2020 05:02 PM
I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals. Tim3 General Crawlers 22 11-10-2019 10:25 AM
3racing high clearance knuckles(portals) - where to buy Slowkrawl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 10-18-2012 10:21 PM
high clearance chassis? TNCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-05-2010 08:36 PM