Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: More Axial rumors.... SCX6?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: More Axial rumors.... SCX6?

I saw Harley's video on this truck, its size is impressive. In spite of having owned a 1:1 Jeep, I am not a "Jeep Guy", so detailing is impressive, but my overall impression is "meh...". My interest lies in the chassis and drive train, and what custom projects they can be used for.

Is 1/6 scale the next "big" thing, who knows? Axial jump-started the crawler scene with the AX-10, the might do it again with 1/6 scale. I think the price point will keep it from being overly popular; and, I think Axial has to break into new territory. Axial has lost a lot of its market share in 1/10 scale to Element, Traxxas and Red Cat, do someone their at Horizon is thinking this is the next logical step.

LMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
You people are enablers.

My interest meter was at 0 on first glance, but with all the input in this thread and some videos it’s at like 5.

I’m curious to see the feedback once people have them in hand and put a few hours into them.

One thing I see being a limiting factor (besides price obviously, which technically isn’t outrageous, just a little harder to stomach on an rtr and all up front) is availability of tire, wheel, and body options. Although horizon does have the opportunity and ability to meet those demands right away.

RCDriver said the 1/7th Losi Super Rock Rey tires are about the same size. side by side they were about 1/2 smaller. Ryft are 6 inch tires so a bit smaller and 2.2s But the SRR or BAJA Ray should have similar sizes until spec wheels are coming out from PL or JCon.

Last edited by Timmahh; 10-15-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Saw the SCX6 in-person today, at NorCal Hobbies (San Jose, CA).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
I would love to see a builder's kit for this. The building for a 1/6 scale would be crazy IMO.
Me 3.

After building a few HPI Baja 5B kits, these will be a walk in the park. lol
Old 10-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The ESC is rated up to 4S...but, the motor is only rated up to 3S.

dude towing the 1:1 jeep with his had 4s. Motor will take it. For a little bit anyways. lol
Old 10-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Matt from SBG was guessing that the 3S limit was possibly due to the legal department saying "you cant recommend that"! Being such a heavy rig you'd need to be a bit crazy to run 4S in 2nd gear... somebody's gonna put an eye out.

I would guess the tranny will be tough to fit since its super long but maybe. Matt pulled the tranny out if you haven't seen it yet: https://youtu.be/RLejDBFuM08?t=268
Those "Legal" idiots would have shit themselves right to the filing department watching us run our 35+ lb 7HP Reed Case Baja 5Bs 55mph across the Sand Dunes.. lol

40% of CONgress are "Liars' Err Lawyers". lol There is a message in there.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
as long as its not a foot long it will fit i just think the axles might be to small to work
says the track width was 14 3/4 inches was it? Axles would be about 14 1/4 inches hex to hex considering track width is center of tire. so just a bit less for the axle width at the outside of the hex.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Pick your battle, be scale looking and parts break or lose scale and build it invincible. Price point turns me off, there won't be one at my house. I think the size is awesome, other than having to carry a 25 lb. rig to your favorite crawler location. My Bomber weighs like 12 or 13 lbs, sucks to schlep it around. Watching Josh's video with it bashing, uh, no.... its not a basher. Then I get to thinking, aluminum axles, wheels..... $4k toy build.
I guess peeps forget about the HPI Baja 5Bs, they were 800 in 08. Today they would be 1300 give or take. Losi 5Bs are 1500. Gassers but....
The fact it is 1/6th at 1100 is pretty on par considering the .3s are 550 and about 1/2 the size.

bonus we all have a 3s pack or 5 around so no need for 200 in Batts.
2nd opinion. lol
Old 10-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #69
RCC Addict

True, however as you state, those are gassers, designed to take a beating. Scale, what is that, right? I get economics and product loyality, people will buy the item. A couple hundred less and now you will get the attention of a larger audience, including some of the UDR market and the like. They have number crunchers, yes, and price their products accordingly. All in the value factor, how much are you willing to pay for something. I just don't need one that bad. That said, they obviously see the merit or they wouldn't have invested the capital to make it. Time will tell.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

LHSs getting them in-stock for DISPLAY ONLY. I capitalized that last part for today 'complaining' that they've only been able to find them listed for "pre-order", and they want to know what's they can buy one "right now". You can't. But, they are coming. For those who want one "right now", best thing you can do is hey your pre-order in asap. The sooner you do (via an online retailer, or through your LHS), the higher up the list you'll be, and the sooner you'll get yours. My next door neighbor called his pre-order in to our LHS the moment the SCX6 was officially announced...and, he's #4 on the list.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

While cool, I'll wait until there's an aftermarket for it before I spend money on one.
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATT View Post
While cool, I'll wait until there's an aftermarket for it before I spend money on one.
Yeah definitely I usually start looking about 6 months or so after release 2 reasons one aftermarket support and also someone somewhere bought one right away and broke something and then it sits and then lists it cheap cause they can't get parts or don't mess with it anymore.........case in point I just got my Ryft in on Thursday was a ran once inside and center diff blew up so I got it super cheap and ordered a full cart of fix it parts and I'm still in it cheaper than a new one by almost 100 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Just checked one out at the hobby shop. Didn't make me want one any more. Wish I could have driven it, but... meh.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:50 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Anyone who has been down the Xmaxx/Arrma 8S rabbit hole knows how quickly the cost on the electronics this size ramps up. If they did offer it as a $600 kit, good luck trying to keep it under $1100 to get it running with a sensored brushless system.
The difference is they'll get what they want, not the same cheap RTR crap as everyone else.

I've bought 2 kits in my life and never a new RTR so I won't be buying one of these. I can't see dropping big coin on any rtr type rig including the vs410 that is popular. Starting from axles and building the rest of the rig with whatever parts I choose is far more appealing than owning the same exact rig as the next dude.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:08 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The difference is they'll get what they want, not the same cheap RTR crap as everyone else.

I've bought 2 kits in my life and never a new RTR so I won't be buying one of these. I can't see dropping big coin on any rtr type rig including the vs410 that is popular. Starting from axles and building the rest of the rig with whatever parts I choose is far more appealing than owning the same exact rig as the next dude.
While I do see the need for, the market for, and very good reasons for getting, RTRs...for the greatest part, I'd have to agree. On one hand, it's an RTR (Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL) that good me back into the hobby after a 35+ year absence...but, at the same time, there are just "things" about a kit that an RTR can't fulfill. Not only is building something do enjoyable, I someone's wonder if 'building' it is a greater percentage of the fun.

Then there's the whole "upgrade factor" - sure, anyone can buy an RTR, and then upgrade it...but, with a kit, a person can build it EXACTLY the way they want, including electronics (on top of that, who's too say that upgrading an RTR will be cheaper than going the kit route...for all you know, the kit route could end up being cheaper). Case in point, my X-MAXX. Instead of buying an X-MAXX, and upgrading it, I started with a pre-roller (purchased new from an RC "chop shop"), and installed what I wanted...and, in the end, I probably saved hundreds of dollars.

Covering the "building from scratch", I discovered how enjoyable that is when I decided to build my first Class 3 comp rig. Although I 'classified' is as a CAPRA, the only actual Axial CAPRA part was the cage, and the only other 'CAPRA' part was a 3D-printed skid (for an AX10 3-gear trans)...everything else, from the Vanquish AR44 axles & SSD portal knuckles, to the MIP driveshafts & Dlux Dravtech shocks, were all picked by me.

As "interesting" as the SCX6 is, I'm not really interested in one...ESPECIALLY an RTR. Even if a kit version were released, I wouldn't want one...but, I'd be MORE than happy to build one for someone (especially that transmission...talk about a piece of art), as long as they bought it. Heck, I might even build it for them 'no charge' (other than a "supplies cost". But, as for owning the SCX6, not interested. The body, alone, I had a heck of a time being back on (the LHS's display unit)...must have taken me a good 5 minutes. That body is a PitA.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #76
RCC Addict

It appears that anyone who has ever published an RC crawling related youtube video received an SCX 6 for review. For the rest of us, we just have to wait to give them our money.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #77
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
It appears that anyone who has ever published an RC crawling related youtube video received an SCX 6 for review. For the rest of us, we just have to wait to give them our money.
The waiting is the best part in my opinion. The hype and the novelty settles and saves me making impulsive decisions. These slow releases are good for my wallet.

This thing is undeniably cool, at least for a few weeks. But seriously, I have absolutely no interest in hauling this behemoth to the trails. What a pain in the ass
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
It appears that anyone who has ever published an RC crawling related youtube video received an SCX 6 for review.

No doubt, it was a very long list of YouTubers who received one!

I'm almost surprised I did not get one. I do have over 100 subscribers.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
No doubt, it was a very long list of YouTubers who received one!

I'm almost surprised I did not get one. I do have over 100 subscribers.

That made me actually lol just now.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Because I own a real JLU Rubicon, I want one. Highly doubt I will buy one but I wouldnt be mad if Axial sent me one for free. I have 3 subscribers so it seems like a good business move on their part.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

More Axial rumors.... SCX6? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx6 another f150 new bright build ferp420 Large Scale Rigs 94 06-29-2023 10:39 AM
another scx6 ram newbright build ferp420 Large Scale Rigs 17 02-11-2019 12:44 PM
Any new tire rumors from HB or Panther? shelljeep Tires and Wheels 4 02-09-2011 06:42 PM
Rumors justeddie Chit Chat 4 05-21-2007 09:11 AM