Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Topher’s latest Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Topher’s latest Builds

What’s up rcc? Haven’t posted here in a few but I have kept up with some of the builds posted around here and see a lot of nice work being done. Some good stuff in the Phoenix build threads and love seeing all the new gspeed rigs coming around.

Instead of trying to maintain multiple build threads of my own I’m just going to pop in from time to time and share with y’all what I’ve been working on. I can’t remember the last one I posted so I’ll just go over the last few trucks.

First up, the element Rc Knightrunner. Im a sucker for yotas of nearly all kinds and after seeing how welll done this “not a taco” Tacoma body was done I had to get in on it. The chassis overall is completely srock but the truck is still a lot of fun to drive. The long wheelbase and small tires with the ifs bulkhead up front help it get around well enough. It’s mainly a trail truck for me but partially because I want to keep this body clean.

The body was painted using automotive interior vinyl/fabric paint I got at autozone. I did a test body and painted the outside and then went and beat on it to see how it would take damage. I was happy to see that it would simply scratch rather than peel or crack so I ordered up a new body and got to painting. Decals j made at home on the cricut, the grill and other 3D printed grill and light buckets came from the knight customs items on myminifactory and printed at home on a prusa mini. Wheels are chanquish, tires are proline class 1 km3, and I was able to use the hub covers from the stock wheels after shaving them down a tad. Interior is a proline late model which fits and looks perfect, it’s a shame it was disco’d. I had to pay over retail to snag this one but I’m happy with it.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Topher’s latest Builds

Next up was a rear portal Gspeed V3.

For this one I used a CF gspeed chassis with a 2.low flipped the overdrive the rear. 10.3 rear axle and Ssd Diamond front axle with reverse cut ring and pinion flipped.

Sitting nearly at 13” wb it’s a long one. I opted for the element ecto body bc of how easy it is to adapt the wheel-well-less rear end to a variety of wheelbases. Kept the paint super simple as I just wanted to get this one out on the trail.

I also used the element Rc kit shocks and added the Traxxas TiN coated shafts and x rings, they work great.

Running video here:
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

Over the last couple of months I’ve also made a lot of progress on the V1C1. It’s all but ready for trails except that it’s so darn loud. The aluminum rails and hard body act like a speaker for the snubnose revolver and it’s a bit too much. Waiting for the crawlmaster esc to get worked out and become available again to give one of those a shot.

This build is a gspeed v1c1 with vitavon 10.3 portal axles, tgh FMM and creeper T case. Body is injora jk, it’s heavy but I like it so going to stick with it for now and maybe do the common yota for it if I decide to do more crawling than trailing with it.

Front bumper is a trimmed Knightrunner bumper. Rear is a stock 10.3 bumper. 3D printed an extender rear bumper mount and just used a shaved down 10.2 bumper mount up front.

The sub box in back is fully functional, blue tooth, wireless, and usb rechargeable. It’s very cool and I love how it looks in back. If you’re interested in one check out my insta and the fella who built it is tagged in the post showing the box in action.

Hopefully I’ll get this one out before the year is over.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 11-15-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

And the latest build was a VS410 phoenix. I had a couple extra sets of 10.3 straight axles around when the kit showed up so I figured I’d mess around with an axle swap to see how easy it was and just ran with it. Going to steal the F10 portals for a new gspeed build on the red CF rails.

Overall the swap was really easy. I needed a different panhard link, ended up using a 73mm factory team link with the Traxxas rod ends to get to 87mm eye to eye. I had to extend the front upper link a tad as well to give enough clearance for the spring cup. Running the stock 80mm shocks but with losi mini T springs.

I’m also using micro servos for the dig and OD selector. To do this I’m using the nsdrc micro servo adapter plates. These need a 24mm horn which I managed by taking the longest plastic horn in the package (originally had two arm) and snipped one off, then drilled the 24mm hole out to fit m3 hardware. They got the job done great on the shakedown run. Soon nsdrc will have a spline adapter that will allow full-size horns to be used on the micros but this set up should be fine for now.

Paint is Tamiya anodized blue, backed with black. The rooftop is pearl white, backed with normal white and then silver. Fenders black on the inside and matte clear on the outside. I dyed the diff covers black as well since the red would have stuck out like a sore thumb with this paint scheme.

Wheels are incision KMC Roswell wrapped in class 2 proline km3 tires stuffed with proline dual stage foams. Since I’m running 10.3 straight axles and have a normal sized stub I was able to used the SSD hubs for a clean final look.

The motor is a Holmes puller pro 2700kb 540 can paired with a copperhead esc. The esc has the case and fan removed and just barely fits under the interior on the slider. It pushes on the interior slightly but not enough to bother me. I used the stock 52t spur with keeping in mind I could swap to the 56t spur if need be but the throttle control felt great on the first run and it had nice wheelspeed so no plans on changing.

The truck is no line killer, especially with 0 added weight and stock shocktowers but it’s a smooth and enjoyable drive. Pretty happy with the outcome.

That’s about it for now. Hope y’all enjoy the pics and info.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 11-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm right with ya on the Toy-luvin'...RL & scale. Picked up a Tamiya TT-02 GR Supra kit (been thinking of selling the chassis, which I put together, but might decide to keep it if it doesn't sell by the end of the year), just so I could have the body. Also picked up the VS4-10 Phoenix...partly because I really dig (no pun intended) the VFD-Twin trans, but also cuz of the (unlicenced) FJ cab, which my plan it to make it even more FJ-like. Lastly...tho, it's still in the bag...for the Sl4sh, have a Pro-Line Tundra TRD body. As for RL, last 3 cars have all been Toys...2 of them a Prius...and, the next will (probably) be a RAV4, or FJ Cruiser.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Thanks for sharing you projects Topher. You’ve been busy. The builds look great, love the lwb v3 and well shot vid, looks fun
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Awesome builds Tropher!!!! Thanks for taking the time to post up your builds.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Welcome back TB good looking builds! Glad to see you’re still at it. If you haven’t had a chance to run a crawlmaster mini yet.. it’s a game changer and I can’t wait for them to get worked out and be in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hey Topher, really dig the Phoenix. What color blue is that?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Nice color on the Phoenix Topher. Mine is very close to yours. You have more detail in yours than I do.
As always a nice rc. :-)
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks for the comments and interest, it is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Hey Topher, really dig the Phoenix. What color blue is that?
This is the Tamiya anodized blue, backed with black. This is the 4th body I’ve done with it and it just seems to look good all the time. I’m a big fan. The problem is I never end up running the bodies because I don’t want to ruin them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion View Post
Nice color on the Phoenix Topher. Mine is very close to yours. You have more detail in yours than I do.
As always a nice rc. :-)
Thanks Max! Yours is quite the looker as well. Nice work
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

A lot of great looking rigs here! Glad to see you stopped by to show them off TB!

As of others have said, cool color on the Phoenix! I had forgotten that you used that same color on R/C drag car. Damn good looking color and I don't blame you for not wanting to ruin them beauty's!

Nice to see you made the NSDRC micro servos fit in the Phoenix. I'll be looking to do the same to mine in the future. I'm curious to see how the plastic servo horn will hold up to abuse. Hopefully someone will come out with an alum horn in the future.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

A few updates to share…

Firstly (but last pic) I’ve acquired a new trx4 after falling in love with the 2021 bronco body and the new colors Traxxas release. Put in some work so far but still a ways to go. At this point I’ve matte cleared the top, replaced the spare tire with the classic bronco spare tire carrier, added led lights, brush guard, cut a visor decal, vp wheels and 4.45 rock beasts, and the roof rack with some scale bits. Still need to swap out electronics and do a couple other things before hitting the dirt with this beauty.

I also did some refreshing on my other trx4. I found a Dodge Ram monster truck body I wanted to try out so I stretched the trx4 and painted up a tonka theme. Still need to get a driveshaft and mirrors on this one.

Painted a new cab for the rear portal Sherpa and swapped to red carbon fiber gspeed rails. Love em.

Then the Sherpa got a new portal only transmission from dlux. It’s tiny af and j love it. Big fan so far.

Also did a gatekeeper rear suspension swap on the Knightrunner. Can’t really tell in the pic but it’s a fun set up to trail with. Using left over parts from the gatekeeper kit and the Knightrunner rear suspension/links to build a lwb enduro with the prairie wolf body on it.

About it for now, pics below
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
A lot of great looking rigs here! Glad to see you stopped by to show them off TB!

As of others have said, cool color on the Phoenix! I had forgotten that you used that same color on R/C drag car. Damn good looking color and I don't blame you for not wanting to ruin them beauty's!

Nice to see you made the NSDRC micro servos fit in the Phoenix. I'll be looking to do the same to mine in the future. I'm curious to see how the plastic servo horn will hold up to abuse. Hopefully someone will come out with an alum horn in the future.
Thanks BMow!

I ended up selling the Phoenix, I couldn’t talk myself into wheeling it much and didn’t want it to sit on the shelf so sold it and dumped that money into some more projects.

As far as the plastic horns, I’m optimistic as if end points are set properly there isn’t a lot of load or force on them, and having the nylon flex almost works like a servo saver. Time will tell for sure though.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Everything looks top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Loving it
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Thanks BMow!

I ended up selling the Phoenix, I couldn’t talk myself into wheeling it much and didn’t want it to sit on the shelf so sold it and dumped that money into some more projects.
Yeah, I did see someone on FB showing off their new Topher Built Phoenix! I'd say he got a pretty sweet rig!

The Bronco looks great! As I said on FB, the close up shots with the lights on look so damn real! Excellent work on the other rigs as well! The revamped Sherpa is on fire!!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Topher’s latest Builds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
topher builds a(nother) TRX4 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 56 12-31-2020 08:14 PM
Topher Builds a SCX10.3 Topher Builds Axial SCX10 III 81 06-11-2020 02:23 PM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 08:03 AM