bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: New Capra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
The specs page on the website lists no change in wheelbase, length, or height
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I noticed the same after getting happy about that comparison. NBD. Easy to stretch if one wants to.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I've watched a few videos, and, based on what I think I'm seeing, now I really don't like this new Capra. The rear "steering" isn't really steering...at least, not accurately, or in the traditional sense. Worse, not only does the percentage not correlate to the front steering...but, it also appears to be completely independent of the front. It uses a 'toggle' switch for controlling the rear, of which there are 5 pre-programmed positions: 100% left, 50% left, centered, 50% right, 100% right.

When I built my first 4WS rig (a Capra, of which the only Axial parts were the cage, and the only other Capra parts being a 3D-printed skid (for AX10-style 3-gear trans), and the CF & aluminum body panels), it was done in the way (pretty much) everyone else does their 4WS setups - with the rear steering equal to the front, and the four traditional modes (front only, rear only, opposite, and crab walk).

What I don't get...and, I'm thinking a lot of others don't get...is why Axial didn't set up the 4WS Capra the same way. Instead of using the toggle switch for setting the rear into these 5 pre-programmed positions (which ISN'T "steering"), they could have set the toggle for switching between the 4 above-mentioned steering modes. It's fantastic that Axial took notice of all the 4WS converted Capra, and decided to release an RTR with 4WS...but, as far as I'm concerned, the implementation of that 4WS is a 'FAIL'.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #24

If I was looking at a new Capra and my first 1/10 scale rig, between the two versions is there one that would be recommended over the other?
Bagelwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelwitz View Post
If I was looking at a new Capra and my first 1/10 scale rig, between the two versions is there one that would be recommended over the other?
Technically, there's three "versions" of the Capra: the original RTR, the kit (based on the original), and the new 4WS RTR. Between the three, I prefer the kit, and you can build (and paint) it however you want...plus, you can install whatever electronics you want, such as going brushless (both RTRs only include brushed).

Old 11-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
What I don't get...and, I'm thinking a lot of others don't get...is why Axial didn't set up the 4WS Capra the same way. Instead of using the toggle switch for setting the rear into these 5 pre-programmed positions (which ISN'T "steering"), they could have set the toggle for switching between the 4 above-mentioned steering modes. It's fantastic that Axial took notice of all the 4WS converted Capra, and decided to release an RTR with 4WS...but, as far as I'm concerned, the implementation of that 4WS is a 'FAIL'.
Anything short of fully proportional, independent control of the front and rear steering is a compromise. Channel mixing and multi point setups are both flawed methods, it’s just a matter of which compromise you prefer.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I thought the kit was the first version available?? I got mine in early in the release of the kit and was excited that it was actually a kit and not an RTR with equipment that I would ultimately replace. Either way I think the rear steer option is set up out of the box to keep it simple for a new driver. Setting up my Capra with the 4WS using my DX5C took some time initially, and getting the aux switch to cycle the modes in the order I wanted took some time so I'm sure it's to keep the end user from being frustrated.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Anything short of fully proportional, independent control of the front and rear steering is a compromise. Channel mixing and multi point setups are both flawed methods, it’s just a matter of which compromise you prefer.
Understood...and agreed. Between the 'traditional' compromise, and the one axial decided to take, I prefer the 'traditional'. With my first C3 rig, that is the direction I went with. Sweet, there is a fourth opt ion, which 'one-ups' the traditional method - using a second switch on the Tx, setting the rear servo's endpoints at 50%, and setting the rear servo's speed to 50%. The ability to still have the 4WS modes, while also giving the user the ability to select rear steering identical to, as well as 50% of, the front.

However, with the 'new' C3 rig I'm currently working on (carrying over the same axles), my "plan" is to have fully independent front & rear steering. I'm not saying Axial should have gone this route (obviously, doing so would have required a different Tx)...but, the least they could/should have done would have been to use the switch for the 'traditional' (4 modes). Having only 100% & 50% to choose from really isn't much of a "choice", if you know what I mean. Imagine if a forklift (a rear-only vehicle) had only 50% & 100% 'positions'.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #29

In this video, it looks like upgrading the transmitter could solve the independent steering issue. That transmitter is $$$ though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K0e6rRmg24
Bagelwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I just want the red cage, really. My Capra is already 4WS, and has the exact components I want in it. This smacks of laziness on Axial's part, IMO. Anyone can put together 4WS on their Capra with off-the-shelf parts should they be so inclined, so I don't see any innovation here with this "new" offering.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I don't see any innovation here with this "new" offering.
It’s not supposed to be innovative, the RTR Capra needed to be updated to the current generation of Horizon RTR electronics thus a “new” version was released. They could have just changed electronics and offered some different colors but fact they added 4 wheel steer and redesign the cage to accommodate the rear servo is a pleasant little addition.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

For the extra $50 axial is asking for, its seems like a good deal to me. If this was out in a kit when i bought mine, it would have been a no brainer.
islandlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
For the extra $50 axial is asking for, its seems like a good deal to me. If this was out in a kit when i bought mine, it would have been a no brainer.
I agree. It would more than likely cost over that to convert a regular capra to 4WS.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I agree. It would more than likely cost over that to convert a regular capra to 4WS.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...

Can confirm, considering the axial Capra universals are $50 alone before portal boxes and steering links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #35
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I've watched a few videos, and, based on what I think I'm seeing, now I really don't like this new Capra. The rear "steering" isn't really steering...at least, not accurately, or in the traditional sense. Worse, not only does the percentage not correlate to the front steering...but, it also appears to be completely independent of the front. It uses a 'toggle' switch for controlling the rear, of which there are 5 pre-programmed positions: 100% left, 50% left, centered, 50% right, 100% right.

When I built my first 4WS rig (a Capra, of which the only Axial parts were the cage, and the only other Capra parts being a 3D-printed skid (for AX10-style 3-gear trans), and the CF & aluminum body panels), it was done in the way (pretty much) everyone else does their 4WS setups - with the rear steering equal to the front, and the four traditional modes (front only, rear only, opposite, and crab walk).

fwiw. I thought much the same as you until I say Harley's video of it actually in action - and as Josh suggests, in practice the times you actually need/want the rear axle to steer is rare, even in competition - and that the 50%/100% option actually works well in that regard - ie. just tweaking the rear end to get through a gate or line up the vehicle for a better approach to an obstacle.

I'd agree it would be nice to have the option to select proportional counter steering [along with the front] too, but in practice, 1:1 rock buggies with rear-steer tend to have the rear steering system completely independent of the front too.

What is remiss is that they didn't package this RTR with a 4-channel radio so you could also use the DIG out of the box.
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post

What is remiss is that they didn't package this RTR with a 4-channel radio so you could also use the DIG out of the box.
^^This^^
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
^^This^^
I'm no expert, but wonder if the dig is even needed if u have 4-wheel steering??
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
I'm no expert, but wonder if the dig is even needed if u have 4-wheel steering??
For trail crawling, it *could* be useful. But, when it comes to competition (Class 3, which is the ONLY class allowing the use of 4WS & dig), you can only use one, OR the other. It's ok to have a vehicle with both...but, if you get caught using both (at the same time, as well as at different times), then you WILL be eliminated. It's for this reason that I have one Class 3 rig with 4WS, and am in the process of building a second with dig.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #39
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
It would potentially negate a lot of the front drag/tight turn benefit certainly, however a DIG is still useful on really steep descents as a rear axle drag-brake to help stop the rear end overtaking the front and flipping forwards.
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
It would potentially negate a lot of the front drag/tight turn benefit certainly, however a DIG is still useful on really steep descents as a rear axle drag-brake to help stop the rear end overtaking the front and flipping forwards.
Actually, dig HELPS make turns tighter. With 2WS & dig, you can almost "turn on a dime". With 2WS & dig, I'd be willing to guess it *would* "turn on a dime".

New Capra? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Capra II?? The Dark Knight Axial Capra 1 06-24-2021 12:27 PM
Is the capra right for me? Wisco General Crawlers 8 06-21-2020 05:53 AM
My Capra pfray Axial Capra 4 05-12-2020 07:52 AM
Used Capra Jbird123 General Crawlers 9 12-28-2019 04:50 PM