RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Ground up! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/627132-ground-up.html)

AndrewRC 11-20-2021 08:14 PM

Ground up!

So I’m waiting on the last of the parts to start my first build. Really I’m looking for some pointers so I’ll write my parts list and await wisdom on setting it up, also if anyone thinks I made a mistake on a part purchase please let me know. I’m pretty new to the hobby and even though I’ve done some serious research nothing can replace experience.

Chassis- BP customs gen x pro aluminum
I also feel compelled to say that the father son team at BPC are the absolute best. Incredible quality and hands down the best customer service I’ve ever seen for any product, not just rc. I will be using them for every build I do from here on out.

Transmission- vanquish 3 gear, slipper delete with a dig courtesy of mikemce. Thanks again for the good deal.

Axles- VP Currie F9 straights with VP under drive rear my neighbor tracked down for me, thanks Mort.

Links- Samix high clearance titanium (313 mm wheelbase)

Shocks- proline 90mm with 70wt and Losi springs currently in them again courtesy of my neighbor Mort.

Skid- bow house LCG

Servo- savox going SOA

Motor- hobby wing fusion 1800kv

Drive shafts- incision

Tires- hyrax in predator

Wheels- treal aluminum bead locks

Foams- proline 2 stage

Body- j concepts creepy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twade984 11-20-2021 08:43 PM

Re: Ground up!

That’s a very nice parts list, should come together well!

HumboldtEF 11-20-2021 09:47 PM

If you dont already have it you'll want the VP servo on axle bracket for the F9: https://www.vanquishproducts.com/scx...unt-kit-clear/
It includes new upper links for the 4 link which you may or may not get with the Samix kit. It also has the correct length steering link for the SOA setup.

Did the Samix link kit include the steering links too? If not you may need the link that runs from knuckle to knuckle.

mikemcE 11-20-2021 09:51 PM

Looks like fun!

Hang up and Drive

ScaleLifeNewbie 11-20-2021 10:00 PM

Nice build list!

I was just looking at them BP chassis' good to hear their of good quality [emoji1688]

Veterans deserve a whole month too...

DRED805 11-20-2021 10:56 PM

Definitely more satisfying to choose all the parts and build it yourself.

The only input I have is maybe avoid savox servos. I had a 1230 and had to retire it because it was so annoyingly loud, even standing still with no load.

AndrewRC 11-21-2021 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6099454)
If you dont already have it you'll want the VP servo on axle bracket for the F9: https://www.vanquishproducts.com/scx...unt-kit-clear/
It includes new upper links for the 4 link which you may or may not get with the Samix kit. It also has the correct length steering link for the SOA setup.

Did the Samix link kit include the steering links too? If not you may need the link that runs from knuckle to knuckle.

I forgot to include that in the parts list. I do have it.

AndrewRC 11-21-2021 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRED805 (Post 6099461)
Definitely more satisfying to choose all the parts and build it yourself.

The only input I have is maybe avoid savox servos. I had a 1230 and had to retire it because it was so annoyingly loud, even standing still with no load.

So for budget reasons I’m stealing the electronics from my gen 8 and I do plan to eventually upgrade to a reefs 444. I’ve been told they are strong, reliable and quiet. I do agree they are annoyingly loud.

AndrewRC 11-21-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6099454)

Also the upper links provided in the VP kit are substantially longer than the upper link in the samix kit by about 10mm. So I’m not sure if I can use them or if I’ll have to get some super short rod ends maybe?

DRED805 11-21-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewRC (Post 6099469)
Also the upper links provided in the VP kit are substantially longer than the upper link in the samix kit by about 10mm. So I’m not sure if I can use them or if I’ll have to get some super short rod ends maybe?

Throw some Traxxas 5525 rod ends on the lowers. They're significantly longer than standard rod ends. Won't cause any issues, since you're going SOA.

AndrewRC 11-21-2021 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRED805 (Post 6099472)
Throw some Traxxas 5525 rod ends on the lowers. They're significantly longer than standard rod ends. Won't cause any issues, since you're going SOA.

Perfect. That should help approach angle as well correct?

DRED805 11-21-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewRC (Post 6099474)
Perfect. That should help approach angle as well correct?

Yeah. I like those rod ends, because they're so long you can cut them down to whatever length you need, for minor adjustments.

AndrewRC 11-26-2021 11:52 PM

Ground up!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f0183db16b.jpg
F bomb is coming along. Running into a couple issues. One being I shaved the steering knuckles to get a little more out of the steering, now the Hyrax hit the shocks, and the frame. I’m thinking pinch the frame a little more, I already stood the shocks up a little more but I don’t want them too straight up n down. Already have + 4’s on there to get the wheels out a little further. Any ideas?

MOguy 11-27-2021 07:17 AM

I would rethink you motor ESC setup.
I have that in a TRX sport build for the Granddaughter. Perfect for her but not feedback and just not as responsive as other setups I have. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing right with it. No 4s and not as programable. You're building a nice setup, don't cheap out on the motor and ESC.

I have different Castle setups. I have revolvers, have a Tenkin 412 and HH Trailmaster all on 4s and they are so much nicer than the Fusion even on 3s. I also have a nice brushed Tenkin motor I like with castle ESCs. I would also look into direct power servo.

AndrewRC 11-27-2021 07:22 AM

I’m definitely getting a direct power servo for the steering. I was going to leave the regular servo for the dog though and upgrade down the line. I unfortunately ordered the esc already and I do plan on getting a different motor soon, I just have to stop spending money on parts right now. My friend gave me the puller pro for the goose egg which is why I’m using it. I do have a fusion In my gen 8 that I could swap out and put the puller and the Micro in its place for now. Would the fusion be a better option for the time being? Eventually I plan on a yellow jacket or a revolver, even though the noise is going to make me crazy.

twade984 11-27-2021 09:20 AM

Ground up!

The fusion has it’s place. Definitely give it a try before you spend money on something else.

It has arguably the best (slowest) low end out of any setup I’ve used before (not that I’ve tried everything).

Can’t help with the steering concern, sounds like you have more than enough angle [emoji1360]

Just read back through the thread and now I’m confused… the original post says hw fusion, but then later you mention a puller pro and micro x?

Either setup is good, my preference would be the puller and micro x. As long as you’re not running more than a 2700kv stubby motor.

AndrewRC 11-27-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6100096)
The fusion has it’s place. Definitely give it a try before you spend money on something else.

It has arguably the best (slowest) low end out of any setup I’ve used before (not that I’ve tried everything).

Can’t help with the steering concern, sounds like you have more than enough angle [emoji1360]

Just read back through the thread and now I’m confused… the original post says hw fusion, but then later you mention a puller pro and micro x?

Either setup is good, my preference would be the puller and micro x. As long as you’re not running more than a 2700kv stubby motor.

So originally I was going to pull the electronics from another truck, but my neighbor hooked me up with a puller pro stubby. That’s why the switch.

twade984 11-27-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewRC (Post 6100107)
So originally I was going to pull the electronics from another truck, but my neighbor hooked me up with a puller pro stubby. That’s why the switch.

Okay yeah, so puller pro stubby and a mamba micro x? That’s a great setup, exactly what I have in my f9 axle Capra

AndrewRC 11-27-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6100114)
Okay yeah, so puller pro stubby and a mamba micro x? That’s a great setup, exactly what I have in my f9 axle Capra

Im going to give that a rip and see what happens. Worst case the 3300 burns up the 45$ micro x and I upgrade then.

MOguy 11-28-2021 06:20 AM

It isn't that the Fusion is bad, it just isn't as good. But it may be more of a personal thing.

With my Revolvers and Tenkins there is more feedback and I know what is going on more so. The time between slow crawl and hitting it is different. When you are coming down a steep hill going slow and you are on and off the throttle super lightly it is different. The drag brake is just different for that moment. It just seems to allow a little more roll.

Going slow is great, a steady climb is great but when you are on an off the throttle it is different.

And it is big. It won't fit in to some builds as wheel. I have servo mounted on axles in a couple builds and it not fit in those.