Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Next crawler or trail truck ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Next crawler or trail truck ideas.

So I'm looking for a new idea for the next truck. I have my Wraith which will always be my favorite. I added a TRX4 79 Blazer which is fun locking and unlocking the diffs. The Gladiator was next cause i really want one in real life. I then did a Capra kit and enjoyed putting it together. I recently picked up a Axial raw builders kit and got it most of the way done but the finishing parts are out of stock so that's on the back burner for now. I'm basically looking for ideas of what everyone has bought and really enjoy and also to give their honest pros and cons of what they have and if they regret buying it so let me know I'm looking forward to inputs.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Next crawler or trail truck ideas.

BRX01 or any of the Vanquish kits.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Vs410 pro kit, you will really appreciate it with that many rigs under your belt already.

Or, piece together a custom rig, could be g-speed/TGH/nwsd/toyzuki/brazin based chassis, or vs410 chassis kit, ar45 straight axles, etc.

Last year I got a used Trx4 chassis in pieces, and a run down scx10.2 Cherokee and did complete tear down and rebuilds with new bodies and such. That was a fun couple projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Or...to save save some money, and still have an equally-good kit, check out the Vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Seems you have more performance RCs, what about something more scale. RC4WD and I suppose other have them.

Leaf springs, hoods and doors that open, more realism.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

BRX01
GS02F
Carisma Range Rover
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You've got 2.2 covered, and a few 1.9's. How about something smaller? A little MST CMX is a very capable little rig, and looks great on 1.55's. Its size will force you to take much different lines and it's quite capable.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
You've got 2.2 covered, and a few 1.9's. How about something smaller? A little MST CMX is a very capable little rig, and looks great on 1.55's. Its size will force you to take much different lines and it's quite capable.
Yes give the CMX a try! They are cute little buggers. I bought a his & hers a week or so ago lol... The wife thought it was cute... And I have her driving it almost every other day.
Rtr's yes, but they can and will be rebuilt with various upgrades. The normal hop ups are out there. I will leave the wifes stock and build mine for comparison...
I have about the same quiver of rc's as you, and its a nice change. I also did a 1/7 scale desert/trophy truck to get out and nail the throttle with jumps, slides and roosts. A fun break from going slow.

Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i say write your choices on a peice of paper and close your eyes and point thats the next rig buy it built it run it enjoy it cross that one off the list and repete
keep doing that till you dont want anymore crawlers

problem solved enjoy
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i say write your choices on a peice of paper and close your eyes and point thats the next rig buy it built it run it enjoy it cross that one off the list and repete
keep doing that till you dont want anymore crawlers

problem solved enjoy
Decision Roulette app is awesome for this kinda stuff.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So i think I've narrowed it down to either a Phoenix kit or the RC4WD C2X. Anyone have experience with the C2X?
Old 12-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Boom Racing BRX02. Just dropped and looking good.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I don’t have any experience with the c2x, I haven’t necessarily seen a lot of praise of it though.

I think you would appreciate the Phoenix as far as the build process, quality of components, and the performance of the vfd, vs410 chassis, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I have the C2X and here are my thoughts. Nice RTR for the most part. Great hardbody, but it scratches easily when you roll it. Seems top heavy IMO. Stock, it doesnt seem to articulate as well as an Axial. I just read the promo on it and it states the rtr shocks come without oil... I never realized that. It seems to have 'drag' in it, or the feeling of a lot of friction. It does not state anywhere that it comes with full bearing, it might be bushed?? Mine has squeaks in the rotating drivetrain so maybe it is bushed.
I did not give the c2x enough of a chance, nor did I go through it (jumped back into my Axials). I should of for a better opinion of it.
Not sure if it comes in a kit, but IMO it needs a going through more than some rtr's.
I do think it can become a decent rig, as I did take it through most of my gnarled terrain...

Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Consider an SSD Trail King. Great builds SCX10.2 platform, so you can use it as a platform and build it to whatever you want.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
So I'm looking for a new idea for the next truck. I have my Wraith which will always be my favorite. I added a TRX4 79 Blazer which is fun locking and unlocking the diffs. The Gladiator was next cause i really want one in real life. I then did a Capra kit and enjoyed putting it together. I recently picked up a Axial raw builders kit and got it most of the way done but the finishing parts are out of stock so that's on the back burner for now. I'm basically looking for ideas of what everyone has bought and really enjoy and also to give their honest pros and cons of what they have and if they regret buying it so let me know I'm looking forward to inputs.
If you had to only have one of the cars you listed, and it was for rock crawling, which one would you keep?
Deathvalleypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathvalleypaul View Post
If you had to only have one of the cars you listed, and it was for rock crawling, which one would you keep?
It would definitely be my Wraith. Ive had it the longest and every time I've decided to get away from the hobby and get rid of everything, the Wraith has always stayed. I've got it built up heavily with Vanquish parts and a Mamba X with a 2700kv sensored motor and it has speed if needed and is also slow enough to crawl. I've always loved the looks of it especially with the cage mod.
Name:  Screenshot_20211115-011954_Outlook.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  138.1 KB
Old 01-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So I'm still torn on what to do next. The really scale trucks are cool but I just don't think I would enjoy one as much as others do. Amain has the VS4 Ultra kit on sale so I've been bouncing that around. I've been debating to just do a Axial JL kit with a overland theme in mind with the straight axles and a swapped 3 gear trans. I was even thinking about the rtr version and putting my spin on it. I looked at the early Axial Bronco but i just don't see $580 bucks in that thing plus it almost looks 1/8 scale. Ive just about given myself a headache tryng to decide. Lol
Old 01-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

So i finally stopped giving myself a headache and made a decision.
I ordered an Axial Wrangler JL kit, Axial AR45 straight axle kit, Bowhouse 3 gear adapter plate for the SCX10.3 and a stock 3 gear transmission. In this I'm going to run a Mamba X with the 1900kv sensored motor with a 12 tooth pinion. It should have some good low speed crawlability, is that even a word. LOL To control all of this will be a Flysky GT5.
I've never been one for a bunch of lights but i think i want to go all out with this one using maybe a My Trick RC kit. I'm sure this will be just as much fun as the other ones.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Since you have that setup on the way, what will your Axial kit end up being?

Next crawler or trail truck ideas. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miniature king krusher trail truck/ crawler/ mud truck jared macneill General Crawlers 4 10-22-2018 09:00 PM
Crawler king to trail ideas? jayuk022002 HPI Wheely King 7 09-05-2010 01:53 PM
1.9 trail crawler truck wkxtreme 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 11-24-2008 01:38 AM
h2 crawler/trail truck c0astie31 Large Scale Rigs 5 11-03-2007 08:15 PM