RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   3D is catching up (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/627492-3d-catching-up.html)

themountain 12-22-2021 05:01 AM

3D is catching up

What about a dedicated subforum for it ?? Where we can put or look for files and share experiences with printers, filament , etc ??:)"thumbsup"

Greatscott 12-22-2021 07:26 AM

Re: 3D is catching up

There are enough of us in this niche of the hobby that are designing and printing parts, having its own sub would make a lot of sense.

twade984 12-22-2021 08:07 AM

I think it could be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nogman 12-22-2021 08:04 PM

I also think it would be great for those of us like myself who have an interest but aren't really sure where to start. Some stickys on the subject would be a big boost.

c2v2 12-22-2021 08:55 PM

For what it is worth, I would like to see one.

Inspector86 12-22-2021 09:30 PM

I think a dedicated 3D print section is a great idea.

TK421 12-23-2021 05:08 PM

I also agree, a dedicated 3d print section could have a lot of benefits.

Lou

nightcrawler48 12-23-2021 06:07 PM

Add my vote for a 3D section.

Some factoids you may or may not be interested in. I did a search of "3D Print" and came up with 12 pages of threads, pretty much all had a post to them sometime in 2021. I thought the interest might have slackened off since 2017-2018 when 3D printing RC stuff was really popular on this forum. It may have, but still a lot of interest it seems.

The threads seem to be all over the place and consolidating them in one place would seem the natural thing to do.

One suggestion I have, is, topics related to printer brands, 3D design software, and slicing software could all be grouped together. Print items could be posted in the section they pertain to. For example, items for RC brands could be posted to the specific brand forum; Axial to Axial, Traxxas to Traxxxas, etc. Then those who are looking for specific stuff for their brand would have their search narrowed down.

Just my thoughts . . . . . . . . . .

cartronicshn 12-24-2021 10:27 AM

Yup, i am in! finally decided to get one8), i have no idea at all how to make it work...but its coming...:lmao::lmao::lmao::shock:

Cyclist 12-26-2021 09:22 AM

In as well. I don't have a printer, yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen soon. And I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

islandlife 12-26-2021 12:29 PM

A 3d printing section would be great! Would be great to have a place to discuss the making of r/c specific parts.

Timmahh 12-26-2021 08:19 PM

I'd also like to see it. Enough differences in printers that each can have its own hurdles/quirks to get smooth and suitable prints.

Material choice for the job your printing etc. can be a tough thing for newbs. A Dedicated forum could really help push the envelope on knowledge and use of our 3d printers.

I think a stand alone category should be on design and CAD as having a good CAD to start with is crucial to setting up a good STL to print from.
just a few of my thoughts that could help others like myself.

Greatscott 01-02-2022 10:15 AM

Likely why there isn't a, or won't have a specific 3D printing sub is that there is already a "Tools and Procedures" sub that 3D printing would kind of fall in to.

But, anyone who has dipped their toe into the pool that is 3D printing knows, 3D printing is a thing all onto itself. For many people, 3D printing is THE hobby. But, for people like me, I want 3D printing to support my hobby, just like body painting, milling, and/or electronics knowledge. With this, it would be helpful for a sub to be created specifically for 3D printing so we can learn how to jump in without the mountains of frustration that can come with learning how to print.

Another reason for 3D printing to have its own sub is that 3D printing isn't just about the printer. There is also slicing and design that come into play. Of course you also have to consider the different types of printers out there, the approaches to FDM printing is very different compared to resin printing. All little niches of the 3D printing sub-hobby.

Crunch 01-02-2022 02:26 PM

Yes, for some 3D printing is a hobby unto itself. Some of us, ahem, have modified our printers much the same way we modify our crawlers. A dedicated section (anywhere) on the site to compile things, share thoughts and tricks and even swap files would be great.